• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

No luck with the SVT...

cruises8

CEG'er
Well, my nephew's 1998 SVT got the infamous engine "knock" so he is looking to replace the engine. He in on a very limited budget so a 3L swap is probably out of the question. Finding a 2.5L is proving to be difficult and the mechanics he has talked to will not even do a swap unless the engine is from another SVT. They wouldn't know what to with a regular 2.5L. I am not very motor savy so I am unclear on some of this.

A few questions:
1)Does anyone know a shop in the NH area that will do motor swaps?
2)If he were to find a non-SVT motor, can't he use the bottom end of the new motor and use the top end from his SVT(heads, intake, etc...?
3)I know that they changed to a returnless fuel system in 1999, but that doesn't mean he can't use the rest of a 99+ motor with the fuel system from the SVT, right?
4) And if anyone knows of a lower mileage motor for sale, please let me know.

Thanks for any help. I did not have any of these problems with either of my SVTs.

Steve

contact aircougar as he is currently parting out a SVT. I am sure you could get the engine minus timing equipment and intake for a decent price. Car has 77k and it fired right up when we picked it up last weekend. Motor sounded good.

So all you would have to do is swap over the cams w/timing equipment and bolt on the lim/uim etc and this eliminates fuel line problems.

I am sure he would also do the swap if you could get the car to him

1) Manchester Speed Shop on Boynton Ct off of Valley street did Mike's Ranger engine project.
Martel Racing might also do engine swaps. They're off of S. Main street on the west side.

Sorry to hear he's having trouble with it. Glad theres a support structure for him. Hope all goes well with it!

Back