• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

FSVT Front Calipers -or- Warmongers Kit on CSVT -HELP-

qwikndrty

CEG'er
My car: 1998 E0 SVT Contour w/ 138K

I've been reading up for a while regarding this upgrade and weather to do Warmongers brackets and the FSVT rotors or buy FSVT calipers, pads and rotors instead. All I find while reading is "The pedal will be softer if you use the FSVT calipers" ...but I have yet to read any solid info explaining this.

I know the issue with using the FSVT caliper is the bore size (its 54mm instead of 60mm on the CSVT) resulting in a softer pedal but due to the fact the master cylinder is 2mm bigger on the CSVT the pedal should come in sooner then before--so *maybe* the pedal wont make a huge difference? (PS: I'm also aware of the 4mm spacer that is needed)

I'd rather use Warmongers brackets but since I get a screaming deal (I work for an auto shop); FSVT calipers with brackets, pads and regular rotors will cost me just about half of what Warmonger brackets and rotors are.

Has anyone actually installed the Focus SVT calipers etc. on a Contour SVT? If so, is the pedal feel that much of a difference or is there any else that I need to be aware of? ..I'm just torn and would rather save the money if possible but on the flip side I do want the car to stop.

:help:

(Sorry for the long-winded post)

Last edited:
Several have done the Focus SVT front brake conversion on Contours. It was first done long before the Warmonger kit came out. I never saw any posts about a softer pedal until someone brought it up when comparing the two methods of moving to 300mm front rotors.

Matty K has the Focus SVT front calipers. You might try shooting him a PM.

Several have done the Focus SVT front brake conversion on Contours. It was first done long before the Warmonger kit came out. I never saw any posts about a softer pedal until someone brought it up when comparing the two methods of moving to 300mm front rotors.

Matty K has the Focus SVT front calipers. You might try shooting him a PM.

Thats what I figured, but I just want to be educated before I do the swap. I'll send Matty K a PM. Thanks!

When I put my FSVT brakes on I thought the pedal was stiffer. That might have been because I bled all the brakes though.

from my understanding to install the FSVT front brakes you need some spacers. Not that this is hard to work out but its something that you have to take care with so everything is lined up.

Just having installed my front NPG brake kit this weekend I can say it was straight forward. Except for drilling out the mounting ears on the hub the install was very straight forward.

From my understand again the FSVT brakes will change the brake bias. the NPG kit was designed to keep the stock brake bias and therefor braking feel.

From my understand again the FSVT brakes will change the brake bias. the NPG kit was designed to keep the stock brake bias and therefor braking feel.

C'mon now Brian . . .

Both the full FSVT front setup, and the NPG/warmonger brackets to use the CSVT caliper over the FSVT rotor will increase the front brake bias by about the same amount, all else being equal. The FSVT calipers will result in a slightly softer pedal feel due to the larger piston area.

well I stand corrected then.

but wasn't the point of the NPG kit to keep the bias stock also? hence the reason for putting the front rotor on the rear?

Last edited:
Yes that's true, however there would be only a very small difference if you were to put focus caliper on the front and warmonger kit on the rear, due to the extra area of the fsvt caliper.
There's very little difference between the 2 options from what I understand of it.

well I stand corrected then.

but wasn't the point of the NPG kit to keep the bias stock also? hence the reason for putting the front rotor on the rear?

no, the bias will change simply because of the larger rotor. The NPG kit was designed to allow use of the stock caliper with the larger rotor.

putting the NPG rear kit on as well will bring the bias closer to the stock ratio.

but don't forget that pad selection has a huge part in what the resulting bias is as well. And the pad makers don't typically provide the data you need to determine the actual bias.

I have the NPG kit on the front with Carbotech XP10's and I'll say you can stand on the brakes all day long with this set-up. If you like it driving around town you'll really like it come track time.

It's also my understanding that since the CSVT caliper is moved father from the center of the spindly (to clear the larger rotor) that will also work to change the bias.
There are engineers alot smarter than me on the board so I'll let them comment on this. This topic was in the recent issue of Grassroots Motorsports magazine.

I have the NPG kit on the front with Carbotech XP10's and I'll say you can stand on the brakes all day long with this set-up. If you like it driving around town you'll really like it come track time.

It's also my understanding that since the CSVT caliper is moved father from the center of the spindly (to clear the larger rotor) that will also work to change the bias.
There are engineers alot smarter than me on the board so I'll let them comment on this. This topic was in the recent issue of Grassroots Motorsports magazine.
Did you do the rears also?
Whenever I need brakes I plan on upgrading the fronts, not sure yet if doing the rear NPG is worth the hassle.
-J

When I put my FSVT brakes on I thought the pedal was stiffer. That might have been because I bled all the brakes though.

Yeah, I would agree you probably had air in the system. My stock SVT brakes are VERY FIRM and I'm able to stop on a dime! I wouldn't mind a slight pedal feel difference but not a lot.

I'm just looking for the best bang for the buck for the front, not a race setup like Baer or Wilwood etc. Plus I just daily drive my SVT, never any racing ...but I will say I do drive it hard from light to light (I use to drag race years ago) lol

Last edited:
from my understanding to install the FSVT front brakes you need some spacers. Not that this is hard to work out but its something that you have to take care with so everything is lined up.

Just having installed my front NPG brake kit this weekend I can say it was straight forward. Except for drilling out the mounting ears on the hub the install was very straight forward.

I was read in the old forums that I need a 4mm spacer which is easily achieved with either a lock washer or 2 flat washers. Or the best method is make some out of round-stock.

C'mon now Brian . . .

Both the full FSVT front setup, and the NPG/warmonger brackets to use the CSVT caliper over the FSVT rotor will increase the front brake bias by about the same amount, all else being equal. The FSVT calipers will result in a slightly softer pedal feel due to the larger piston area.

Actually, the FSVT caliper bore is smaller (54mm vs 60mm).

no, the bias will change simply because of the larger rotor. The NPG kit was designed to allow use of the stock caliper with the larger rotor.

putting the NPG rear kit on as well will bring the bias closer to the stock ratio.

but don't forget that pad selection has a huge part in what the resulting bias is as well. And the pad makers don't typically provide the data you need to determine the actual bias.

Since I'm not going to be "tracking" the car. What can I expect if I just install the FSVT calipers and rotors (NOT the NPG kit) and leaving the rear alone altogether :shrug:

From the reading I did before deciding to both, people who had just done the front said that the car felt a little loose and after adding the rear upgrade it felt more compliant and stable during braking.
There should be only a small difference between the full fsvt swap and npg upgrade.

Back