• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spring Zing 08 info

I was able to move my Final Exam from the 15th to the 13th so I can now go to SPRING ZING YEAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

so i was just wondering about how long it takes to get to Michigan...and...if it is worth going through Canada...also what do i need to be able to cross the border if i end up doing that?

so i was just wondering about how long it takes to get to Michigan...and...if it is worth going through Canada...also what do i need to be able to cross the border if i end up doing that?

definately not worth the added time sitting at the boarders ... plus you need a passport.

should take about 12 hours to get to the hotel in MI ...

I wouldn't recommend going through. If an alert goes out you could sit at the border for hours on end.

Are you planning on using some sort of GPS unit or old fashioned paper maps?
Have you tried mapping the route out yet?
What day are you departing?

Are you planning on using some sort of GPS unit or old fashioned paper maps?
I have a TOMTOM that i was planning on using as well as directions off google maps because sometimes the TOMTOM confuses me. do you know if there are any parts during the trip that aren't programmed on TOMTOM because i heard that Atlanta and Chicago won't show up on it and i didn't want to be in the middle of Ohio and have it just crap out on me. Also does anyone know if the directions on googlemaps are accurate? I used mapquest once and it had me take a highway that didn't exist so i don't really trust online directions, but i will have the GPS so i suppose it wouldn't be too bad.

Have you tried mapping the route out yet?
I mapped out the route via google maps both through canada and around it, but not on the GPS if that counts :shrug:

What day are you departing?

I am planing on departing on the 14th if all goes as planned. If not then i will leave the 15th.

Brian's second link in the first post in this thread states that he plans on leaving the night of the 14th.
If you're uneasy about making the drive alone, you could meet up with him in CT and then just follow him the whole way.

Brian's second link in the first post in this thread states that he plans on leaving the night of the 14th.
If you're uneasy about making the drive alone, you could meet up with him in CT and then just follow him the whole way.

im not uneasy with making the trip i'm just nervous about the stability of my car. However i can't drive through the night because i'm horrible at staying awake haha. I think i'll be ok though and seeing as i've decided to not go through Canada i'm not stressing about the border. I'll just make my sister carry me the rest of the way if my car does fall apart :D

Some things you might want to look into before you go is to check all fluid levels (oil, coolant, tranny, brake, power steering).
If you're close to needing an oil change, you may want to consider doing that before the trip because you should expect to put on a good 1,000 miles or so (round trip).
Make sure all lug nuts are torqued to proper specs on your wheels.
Make sure tire pressure is at adequate levels on all 4 tires.
Check tire pressure on your spare tire.
Practice up on your tire changing skills in case you need to change a flat.
Check your wiper blades to see if they need replacing. If they're good, at least be sure the wipers work and the blades are securely installed.
We pretty much always hit a storm on the way out because of how the storm systems move across the US.

I'm sure Brian will post up more checklist items to fill in where I missed stuff.

im not uneasy with making the trip i'm just nervous about the stability of my car. However i can't drive through the night because i'm horrible at staying awake haha. I think i'll be ok though and seeing as i've decided to not go through Canada i'm not stressing about the border. I'll just make my sister carry me the rest of the way if my car does fall apart :D

well you have your sister you can trade off with if needed, and Jess also.

I will have 2 way radios so people can keep in touch that way also to help stay awake. Also plan to sleep as much as you can before leaving so you are rested up for the drive.

Some things you might want to look into before you go is to check all fluid levels (oil, coolant, tranny, brake, power steering).
If you're close to needing an oil change, you may want to consider doing that before the trip because you should expect to put on a good 1,000 miles or so (round trip).
Check your wiper blades to see if they need replacing. If they're good, at least be sure the wipers work and the blades are securely installed.
We pretty much always hit a storm on the way out because of how the storm systems move across the US.

I'm sure Brian will post up more checklist items to fill in where I missed stuff.

thats a pretty good list right there.

I would also check the battery and the air/fuel filters.

Also Kim has posted some really good info on what to bring along, how to approach a trip like this in past years.

I have a TOMTOM that i was planning on using as well as directions off google maps because sometimes the TOMTOM confuses me. do you know if there are any parts during the trip that aren't programmed on TOMTOM because i heard that Atlanta and Chicago won't show up on it and i didn't want to be in the middle of Ohio and have it just crap out on me. Also does anyone know if the directions on googlemaps are accurate? I used mapquest once and it had me take a highway that didn't exist so i don't really trust online directions, but i will have the GPS so i suppose it wouldn't be too bad.
It depends entirely on the GPS itself. My Garmin only had enough space to load New England maps on it from the computer, until I bought a larger SD card.

i was planning on changing the oil and coolant definitely. Should i bring my car to a mechanic and tell him to check everything to make sure it is road trip worthy? or would that be a bad idea? alsoooo..i don't really have a spare tire, i just have a donut...sooo...yeaaa..

i was planning on changing the oil and coolant definitely. Should i bring my car to a mechanic and tell him to check everything to make sure it is road trip worthy? or would that be a bad idea? alsoooo..i don't really have a spare tire, i just have a donut...sooo...yeaaa..

that is entirely up to you if you want to go to a mechanic. I would suggest getting local members to help check the car over ...

donut ... spare ... no difference with this car ....

that is entirely up to you if you want to go to a mechanic. I would suggest getting local members to help check the car over

well i don't have like any time to get together with people so i just need to drop it somewhere while i'm at school or work. i didn't know if a mechanic would charge an obscene amount though.

Back