• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spring Zing drive - question

rouar

fixer
Admin
See SZ forum for the hotel, address, dates, all info regarding Spring Zing.

I am not planning to drive through Canada this year. The difference in travel time is one hour (13 hr 30 min trip versus 12 hr 30 mins), and saves us from suffering through customs. Additionally, I probably won't get a passport in time, and you need one now to cross the border.

Any thoughts? People in agreement, disagreement?

*really* looking forward to May :) ... and there are restaurants within walking distance of the hotel this year!

I see no reason to go through canada either. I have already driven out past canton from erie, PA and its not bad at all, its a four hour drive and erie was about 8 for me.

As with the trip home we all don't have to drive together either. I would prefer the US route also. We should also plan this along with the PA/NY folks to meet up on the way out.

I wanted to kinda make a week trip out of it, possibly cutting the drive up into two days. I had no plans of going through Canada because of this.
I was even thinking of making a pit stop in Ohio to check out Cedar Point.
http://www.cedarpoint.com/

It's busy season for me at work right now, so I don't have the time to look into all the details yet.
Plus I'm not even sure we'll have the cash for it (friggin house repairs).

Jay and Robin, are you guys thinking of going to SZ again this year?

Last edited:
I wanted to kinda make a week trip out of it, possibly cutting the drive up into two days. I had no plans of going through Canada because of this.
I was even thinking of making a pit stop in Ohio to check out Cedar Point.
http://www.cedarpoint.com/

It's busy season for me at work right now, so I don't have the time to look into all the details yet.
Plus I'm not even sure we'll have the cash for it (friggin house repairs).

Jay and Robin, are you guys thinking of going to SZ again this year?

Looks like we're out this year. We landed a free flight out to CA, but it had to be in May, which kills the option to go to SZ. :( If somehow that trip doesn't work out, we'll see if we can do SZ again.

Kim, are you talking budgeting for a two-day trip, or not going to SZ entirely?

Jason, sad :( but you're right, I'd rather go to CA than MI any day, especially if trip was paid! It was wonderful to get to know you guys last SZ.

Jason, sad :( but you're right, I'd rather go to CA than MI any day, especially if trip was paid! It was wonderful to get to know you guys last SZ.

I agree. Neither of us have been to CA, so it's a thrill for us. I'm even trying to get a GT350H 'vert for our rental car while we're out there, but I don't know if the mileage will kill us or not, since I want to drive from LA up to SF. It's a solid day's drive, but worth it. If by some strange chance it does fall apart, we'll definitely give SZ'08 a look and see if it's doable for us.

It was great getting closer to you out there, too.

Though I'd venture to say you got to know more of Robin than of me. ;)

SZ is May 15th-18th, but that Thursday (14th) is when final exams start, so I don't even know if I can go yet...I don't think the final exam schedule will be out ANY time soon, but I dunno. While I'd love to go to Cedar Point (again :)), I'm not sure if I could do it :(

budget for the side trip, not SZ overall. Unless any other relatives decide to kick the bucket, we'll be at SZ08 (oh man, I'm going to hell for saying that).

Kim, now you have to tell all your relatives not to go doing that!

Jason - just take the entire month off :)

I am planning on going to SZ! I am hopefully going to meet up with the PA crew and hopefully with the NE crew.... Hopefully everything works out...

I am not 100% positive I am going to SZ but hopefully everything works out for everybody!

- amyn

Can we put up a SZ sticky for an itinerary? We need to start planning our vacation time already. :)

We're definitely in, and are trying to get the CA tickets shuffled around a little bit for maybe later in the year.

Kim, now you have to tell all your relatives not to go doing that!

Jason - just take the entire month off :)

I just got approved to take off May 12 - May 23, and then May 26 is a holiday, so I am covered for whatever plans people make.

Kim -- Jason and I are definitely interested in any side trip(s) and making the drives both ways two-day affairs. Just let us know the schedule as soon as you do (Jason needs to deal with time off issues).

Wooo hoooo - ROAD TRIP!!!

Well to be on the safe side, I'd say ask for May 13-19 off (which equates to 5 full weekdays).
I doubt we'll need any more time than that.
And if we determine the side trip isn't doable, then you could always go back to your employers and say "oops, I asked for too many days off, so I'm actually going to work on the 13th and 19th, but still take the other days off"
(or whatever the scenario).
That shouldn't be much of a problem as long as adequate notice is given of the change in plans.

I'm going to try to focus on making a game plan for the sidetrip idea very soon. I've just been kinda busy due to year end work, the holidays and other crap.
But I definitely won't be waiting til April to start planning or anything like that!

If anyone wants to go to SZ, but isn't sure about making the long drive in their car, or doesn't have a copilot or whatever, then please let us know and we'll arrange to still get you out there. Pm myself or Elky if you don't want to post publicly.

I was actually considering taking the 13th-20th off, which would be 6 days.
That would allow for an extra vacation unwind day.
The older I get, the more I find those to be necessary. Vacationing is hard work! ;) :D

May 13th-19th requested off.

I love the idea of a side trip, and more so of a 2-day return trip. I have my own air mattress this year which is far more comfortable than any cot!

Jason, Robin ... do I still owe you money for the hotel last year? I only remember making a partial pseudo-payment. :eek:

May 13th-19th requested off.

I love the idea of a side trip, and more so of a 2-day return trip. I have my own air mattress this year which is far more comfortable than any cot!

Jason, Robin ... do I still owe you money for the hotel last year? I only remember making a partial pseudo-payment. :eek:

Robin wanted me to ask you, and I quote...

"Are you f***ing serious?" :)

Don't worry about it, dude!

If I can get time off, I'd like to meet up with NECEG again. I don't know how I'm going to ask for a week off from a company that I'll only be working at for like 2 months at the time of SZ.

Any suggestions?

Back