• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dear Ford,

bohdi

CEG'er
I'll make this quick. It's a bit of a rant.

I hate you for producing this worthless hunk of excrement and then so callously offering it for sale to the unsuspecting public as a "passenger auto". It's been the single largest financial mistake of my life. Each time I try to wrench my money's worth from a repair bill, something else comes along to remind me of what a piece of crap you've built. It's let me down more times than I can count. My roadside assistance probably wont renew my service. Each time I spot it in a parking lot all alone, I pray for a dump truck to fall from the sky. I hate this car. If hate were people, I'd be China.

The day I sign the title over to some other undeserving fool will be among the happiest days of my life.

Signed,
Soon-to-be-EX-SVT-Contour-Owner

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience, but I haven't seen data that indicates that the Contour is any more problematic than its peers.

You can have this kind of experience with any manufacturer. These are complicated machines that are mass produced, it's inevitable for some cars to be plagued with issues.

http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?p=86004#post86004

145k miles currently. Here's approximately what has been replaced and when:

75k miles
original battery

100k miles
shocks
brakes - pads/rotors
tune up - plugs/wires

120k miles
alternator and battery
O2 sensors

142k miles
starter
ECM (still in the shop about this one so it could be more)

It currently needs:
-trans rebuild (3rd grinds, others can be iffy)
-clutch
-most suspension bushings and definetely balljoints, tierods, etc...
-front rotors
-entirely new stereo
-sunroof motor
-sunroof shade liner

I'm hoping to limp it along for another year and then I'll just pick up a new car...

Did you limp it along when the starter/alternator began to exhibit issues? Most of these items are pretty standard for a car of its age/mileage, and in many cases it looks like you waited too long -- and still are. Staying on top of maintenance may have resulted in a better ownership experience.

Electronics that didn't rival those from a 76 Jag.

I didn't buy the car yesterday....

then wtf did you keep it so long for?

i bought my car used, and even though only 2 years old it had over 50k miles on it.

over the next 5 years the car never left me stranded. Got stuck once when the fuel pump died...that's about it. everything else was either my fault or mods that i installed/had installed that required downtime.

so in closing, cry harder...

EDIT: and quit whining about wear and tear items, like BRAKE ROTORS! And shocks...at 100k miles no less! I think you should find an alternate means of transportation if you're going to complain about a brake job and new shocks at 100k miles! cause a car just ain't going to do it for you.

Last edited:
OP fails. I should have known; I should have read his previous posts. Who whines about suspension and brakes? Big f***ing deal. Who whines about an ALTERNATOR? It's not like any of these thing are going to last forever on a car. Uh oh, my battery just died, time to sell my car :rolleyes:

Back