• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

pulsing dash lights

vmax12

New CEG'er
Ok folks , installed rebuilt alternator everything is groovy but now my instrument cluster lights pulse I tried searching the forums no luv. :crazy:

checked contacts at battery seemed good used dielectric grease on batt post . I sure hope alt doesn't have to come back out. I will try and check alt connections tomorrow. vmax

when does this happen, at idle or do they pusle more when the rpm increases? if its when the rpm increases the regualtor or diodes aren't good and the alternator needs to be replaced

Sorry about getting back in a timley fashion, trying to close on a house. I wasn't aware but the headlights pulse to at about 3000rpm. did some research , How about the alt. wiring fix? I lost the link to the actual Diagram Please tell me this could be a repair for the lights . If I have to take out the alt again I will most likely die of heat stroke as I have to do the repair in the parking lot of the apt. complex and it has been almost 100 degrees in Nashville, TN. Good bye cruel world! Please help. Burning in Nash-Vegas... vmaxx12

If I have to take out the alt again I will most likely die of heat stroke as I have to do the repair in the parking lot of the apt. complex and it has been almost 100 degrees in Nashville, TN.

I hear ya. Yesterday I did a full brake job: rotors, pads, greasing, new slider pins, new bushings, and new spring clips; all in the parking lot of Autozone so I could return the warped rotors and damaged pads. In the direct sunlight, on black pavement, when it was 94 degrees and humid... I burned my knees, my hands, and got so dehydrated I started getting dizzy and couldn't stand up straight.

Good luck with the fix; hopefully if it does involve removing the alternator, maybe wait till a little bit cooler weather!

I hear ya. Yesterday I did a full brake job: rotors, pads, greasing, new slider pins, new bushings, and new spring clips; all in the parking lot of Autozone so I could return the warped rotors and damaged pads. In the direct sunlight, on black pavement, when it was 94 degrees and humid... I burned my knees, my hands, and got so dehydrated I started getting dizzy and couldn't stand up straight.

Been there, done that... but with a starter off an old Tempo my dad had. We didn't have jack stands or ramps so I (being all of about 15) was able to fit under there. It sucked...

Alt wiring fix doesn't require all that.

Disconnect battery.
Remove front passenger tire.
Remove wheel well plastic.
Undo tie rod bolt
Rotate front wheel assy. out of the way (toward front).
Find 1/4 ratchet and socket for main lead on alt (13MM I believe).
Remove nut on mail lead and remove from alt.
Undo clips on remaining leads.
Goto wiring harness above alt and pull wires up.
Make modifications.
Drop wires down.
Reattach.
Put back together...

Sorry about getting back in a timley fashion, trying to close on a house. I wasn't aware but the headlights pulse to at about 3000rpm. did some research , How about the alt. wiring fix?

wiring fix isn't going to do anything, its the alternator as I said before ....

when does this happen, at idle or do they pusle more when the rpm increases? if its when the rpm increases the regualtor or diodes aren't good and the alternator needs to be replaced

thanks BrApple you have sentenced me to a burning death on the hot tarmac of 'the lot' Just kidding I really wanna thank all ya'll for answering . Ok warrenty on rebuild is running out, so its gotta come out next week , I don't have the symptoms to warrent the 'wiring fix' but should I do it while I have the ALT out??? scorching in nashvegas:mad:

ONe more thing , I did not test rebuilt ALT before install , the shop I used for rebuild that is all they do is starters , ALTS heavy duty commercial moters I assumed it would be right , I am going to ask them to test it infront of me when I get it back from them , and also take it to some ,more than one ,of the auto parts stores and have them test it again. the volt reg on this alt seems to be a closed unit can I check diodes on the bench at home before install, cause after I get out of the hospital for the burns on my back I do not want to pull this thing AGAIN!!!:nonono:

Back