• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mustang Project

BrApple

No Life But CEG
So as many of you know my parents recently got a 06 Mustang GT Premium about a year and a half ago. I know many wondered why yellow, well here is the reason and the first photos of the car since it was painted back in 1980 .... sadly the paint is failing but that will be fixed later, right now the deal is to get the car running.

This 1966 2+2 Mustang Fastback was optioned with the 289, 3 spd and a limited slip rear end. Thats about it. The color is Sunshine yellow and this is why my parents ordered their 06 Mustang in yellow. The car was originally purchased for my Aunt when she graduated HS so she could drive home on the weekend from college in PA. The car was later purched back and give to my father before he graduated HS. In the time it was running my father had swapped out the 289 for a 1969 Boss 302 engine. At the time he couldn't afford to upgrade anything else so that rest of the driveterrain remained stock. Supposidly with the torque of the 302 and the gearing for the 289 it would very easily light up first. I also learned that he put spring meant for a car with a 351 in so even with the engine in it still sits at about the same height but that will be corrected soon also.

The project started back around the beginning of April when we started rebuilding the 289 after if came back from machining. The engine after many weekends of getting little things done was about complete mid July. On the 14th we got the engine from the basement to the garage and started to button up the last of the details and started painting. On June 28th we finished up painting the engine and started to fit the exhaust manifolds, clutch bell housing, choke tubes etc. Then sunday the 29th was the big day. the car was pulled out of the cover it with the Allis Chalmers and turned around and pulled into the garage. All said and done we where able to drop the engine in, install the transmission, shifter and linkage and get most of the clutch linkage put together. Goal it to have it running be mid september when my parents go on vacation. over the winter the rest of the car will be worked on and the hope is to have it back on the road next summer. For now the car will remain stock but later on it will turn into a resto-mod project. About the only thing that me may do now is a front power disk conversion since the car has non-power 4-wheel drum brakes.

so ....

DSC03177.JPG

DSC03179.JPG

DSC03180.JPG

DSC03182.JPG

DSC03185.JPG

DSC03186.JPG

DSC03189.JPG

DSC03190.JPG

DSC03191.JPG

Fantastic, it is great to see something starting from this position and then watching it through.

Love the tractor, looks a great place.

Glad to see the car undergoing surgery! I was hoping that was the Mustang you were talking about in all your "going home this weekend" posts.

yeah I forgot to mention that .... car has been waiting to be finished since it was painted in 1980/81. I have also been wanting to complete this project with my father for the last, I dunno 16 years or so ... best part of all is my mother is behind us and wants to see the car running again, but just without braking the bank because if my dad and I had our way completely it could get pricey :laugh: like he wants koni shocks but at $250 each thats alittle beyond whats needed at this time :crazy:

Glad to see the car undergoing surgery! I was hoping that was the Mustang you were talking about in all your "going home this weekend" posts.

yup thats the one, for the most part when I have been at my parents on most weekends we have been working on this project. It getting into high gear now. like I said we want to fire the motor and get it running by mid september. the rest can come later.

O love it also, the engine wiring harness is 3 wires, coolant temp sender, oil pressure sender and coil :laugh: Other then grounds and power when teh battery goes back in like 75% of the wiring is connected already :laugh:

ok time to go quick detail the contour since it needs it ....

Last edited:
what happened to the 302??

its still in the basement, so who knows maybe that will find its way back into the car sometime in the future

and for those not fimilar with my parents basement I'd say a good half of the shelving put up and a good chunk of my father work room contain car parts :laugh: my spare parts from my car ended up in the attic

sweet project brian, ive loved stangs forever myself, bought my first '68 when i was 12, then sold that when i hit 16 and built up this one, still have her...

O love it also, the engine wiring harness is 3 wires, coolant temp sender, oil pressure sender and coil :laugh: Other then grounds and power when teh battery goes back in like 75% of the wiring is connected already :laugh:

Amen, brother Brian! It's nice not to have 5 miles worth of vacuum tubing either.

That car is going to be a sweet ride -- I'm jealous, but I'm always happy to see a muscle car kept up.

Since you mentioned only three wires: Are you sticking with points for ignition? or are you going Pertronix? MSD/Mallory/some other red box?

RTC's got a nice lookin' Mustang as well... damn, this is why I need to start looking for a minimum 1 acre lot when I buy property. I already started making payments to my friend for his XJ12, and my garage has room for only two...

yeah there are no vacuum lines on this car. distrubutor is staying stock for now. my father just needs to pull some parts together, ie take from other distributers he has to rebuild this one.

Like I said its going back 100% stock for now .... well hopefully 95% as it should have at least power disk brakes but on the front end to make it more drivable.

Think the ultimate goal is to just have a nice mustang that you could drive to work everyday if you wanted.

i like the idea of keeping things stock, but for under $100 the Pertronics is the way to go.
very easy to install and its gets rid of the points without changing the distributor itself.
i put on in the hearse and it made a huge difference on how it ran.

i like the idea of keeping things stock, but for under $100 the Pertronics is the way to go.
very easy to install and its gets rid of the points without changing the distributor itself.
i put on in the hearse and it made a huge difference on how it ran.

I will bring this up to my father and see what he says, if it helps it run better and it isn't expensive I can't see why it wouldn't be a good idea, thanks for the input.

where did you buy from, I searched from their website and couldn't find a local dealer

also did you use the stock coil or get a newer one?

Last edited:
i bought mine thru a cadillac performance company.
but i think Summit sells them now.

basically it is a magnetic ring that gets mounted inside the distributor along with pick-up.

We run the Pertoronix on loads of our customer's cars . They're easy as hell to install , work like a charm , and are virtually undetectable as being anything but stock (it all fits under the cap) .

well I recomended it to my dad and told him that he could pick it up from summit or jegs if he wants and that you guys are recomending it

well as they say life happens ....

and I suppose you could blame me for the delay as I was born in 81 and now that my brother and I have moved out and my parents have payed off everything but the 2 new vehicles they can afford to finish this project and there is some more time for it ...

Back