• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turbo 5-Speed Caravan

LauraSVT

I'm a dude, no really!
First available in 1988, the turbo Caravan was actually pretty sprightly for what it was. It did not, however, have an intercooler, and the cooling system was thus not up to the task of dealing with the higher temperatures associated with turbocharging. It also was only available with automatic transmission, though the non-turbo 2.5L could be had with a stick. This chap, however, went to great lengths to restore this example of Lee Iacocca and Hal Sperlich's family hauler, and installed an intercooler and a 5-speed along the way. Good stuff.

http://www.stanwatkins.com/stanvan.htm

my aunt/uncle had a caravan that i convinced them to give me when they got a new car, so i could gut it and turbo it. it would have been sweet. never happened though.

my aunt/uncle had a caravan that i convinced them to give me when they got a new car, so i could gut it and turbo it. it would have been sweet. never happened though.

That's certainly an unusual project, but so is putting racing stripes, white letter tires, foglights, a Covercraft bra, and a CB and whip antenna on a Taurus wagon, and I did that. :cool:

i had a buddy w/one up in albany. theres a couple on youtube that have srt4 engines.
i miss my glh:cry:

a kid at my school was expelled for doing a 40 ft. burnout in a turbo caravan. that thing was sick!

I didn't think there'd be this much positive response to this thread. Must be the New England factor. :cool:

I have always loved oddball stuff like that.

Maybe that makes it a good time to bring up one of the oddest Dodge products:

1989DakotaArticle.JPG

And something a little more normal:

ShelbyDakota.JPG

dodge%20dakota.jpg

That's certainly an unusual project, but so is putting racing stripes, white letter tires, foglights, a Covercraft bra, and a CB and whip antenna on a Taurus wagon, and I did that. :cool:

there's a big following for them online. atleast i think there is. didn't have any problem finding info on the project. also pretty much any dodge from that era that used the turbo 4 cylinder....turbominivan.com

i loved the dakota drop tops!
always wanted to make my El Camino a drop top or removable hard top

For some reason I used to be in love with 80's Caravans when I was younger... I have only ever seen a 5-speed manual once, it was a blue early 90's model...

Speaking of Dodge, how about the Rampage? One of my friends in high school owned one :blackeye:

rampage84_01.jpg

lets not forget perhaps the best looking dodge of that era..the lancer turbo:drool:
and lets also not forger the mopar turbo monsters...the spirit r/t and the daytona iroc r/t powered by lotus:drool:

Back