• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turbo 5-Speed Caravan

Revived?
IMG_1294.jpg

The drivers ed through my high school had two cars. Something like a 92 Chevy Nova (POS) and a black Camaro Z28!!! There were 2 instructors, the older guy always taught in the Nova and a young girl (about college age) taught in the Camaro and she hardly taught, rather just talked about everything under the sun and was generally cool. That was until my buddy decided to do a burn-out side ways through a corner. He wasn't allowed to drive that car anymore.

I always remember that the Camaro would bottom out at the entrance to the school and she never blinked an eye! hah

now that is something he will share with his kids when he is older!

That would be an awesome thing to get expelled for!

haha awesome

when i was in drivers ed, we had three instructors.
the owner, his son, and some chick
the owner was very strict, his son taught me what STOP meant (Spin Tires On Pavement), and the chick did exactly like mike said...talked about herself the whole time never looking at the road.

ugh you are lucky.
I had an early 90s Caravan (I think it might have had an airbag) and an early 90s Olds Cutless Ciera. Both were POS when they were new, never mind being subjected to student drivers and my instructor's nonstop chain-smoking for ten years when I took ed in 2000.

my driving school had ford focus' that were newwwww-ish. however we had one woman and she sucked! she made me pick up her son and drive him to basketball practice. i would purposely run stop signs after that :nonono:

lol I liked helping my instructor run errands.
It's what got me a Gold Card - which allowed me to go straight to the DMV to get my license, completely bypassing the state required driving test.

My driving test consisted of him telling me he forgot something at his house that day (very important, apparently), so I drove him there in my trusty little Corsica. He had me do a 3 point turn on his street and parallel park in front of his neighbor's house.
/test
woot!

my driving school had ford focus' that were newwwww-ish. however we had one woman and she sucked! she made me pick up her son and drive him to basketball practice. i would purposely run stop signs after that :nonono:
I asked my instructor not to smoke while I was in the van. One time I had a 2.5 hour long lesson and he drove me to his house. While I sat in the car alone in the street, he ran inside for 15 minutes to "check his answering machine." :mad:

He was the school's official sponsored driving instructor. Apparently none of the administration knew of his smoking habits till a student skit during our 2001 winter carnival poked fun at it. The rumor is that the administration put a stop to his smoking while in the vehicle with students after seeing this skit. I have no idea where the instructor is now.

Last edited:
I asked my instructor not to smoke while I was in the van. One time I had a 2.5 hour long lesson and he drove me to his house. While I sat in the car alone in the street, he ran inside for 15 minutes to "check his answering machine." :mad:

haha the woman i had couldn't even drive herself. she gave me awful information like "always stop when the light turns yellow" so she would get mad when i would go through a yellow light even if it turned yellow when i was in the middle of an intersection.:confused::mad:

the guy i had was cool though. he would flip everyone off and then tell me to do it too.

Uhh, you are supposed to stop at yellows.

nooo..i meant she would make me stop when i was dangerously close to the intersection and i'd have to slam on my brakes even though the light JUST turned yellow and i had plenty of time to SAFELY make it through instead of dangerous slam on my brakes and potentially cause a rear end collision.

does that make sense cause im not sure if i even understand it?

nooo..i meant she would make me stop when i was dangerously close to the intersection and i'd have to slam on my brakes even though the light JUST turned yellow and i had plenty of time to SAFELY make it through instead of dangerous slam on my brakes and potentially cause a rear end collision.

does that make sense cause im not sure if i even understand it?

Now that makes sense.

It makes sense, but sadly these days with traffic cameras you're better off slamming on your brakes and risking the rear-end accident.

Back