• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

yup

nice find

Thanks.

I think I found out the problem with my mileage. I've been getting 20-23 (at best 23) all highway 55-70 mph on my way to school every day in my Zetec. Changed the plugs to large "racing" plugs :)rolleyes:), Bosche O2 sensor, and double platinum spark plugs, but nothing helped the mileage. I have sea foamed the engine via both the gas tank and throttle body. I searched a bit today and came up with a thread where the OP had the same problem as me. His rear drums were dragging, leaving a squeeling noise after every rotation; again... same as me. So I pulled the car into the garage today and jacked the rear end up to spin the rear tires. Both wheels made scraping noises as they spun, only making about 2-3 revolutions per hand spin before grinding to a halt.

When my dad gets back from Arizona on Thursday we are gunna check it out and possible put some new drums on. I still have the originals on there and the car just rolled over 160,000 a few nights ago. I'm hoping for the best. 30mpg would be great on the wallet. :cool:

Hehe - wax the paint off that thing yet? I've never seen any dirt on that car... I'm surprised you'll drive it around in the "dirty" city air :laugh:

No but I did get it out of storage last weekend and safely into the garage before the rain/snow over the last few days :crazy:

Hehe - I safely drove mine into a ditch this winter :crazy:

I've got a whole pile of body parts - the hard part is done... I just need to prep and paint them now... My car could look good again - just hard spending money on it.

The wifes car has rear discs but they are an internal drum like parking brake. Most retarded thing I have ever seen.

My dad's truck has the same thing. I agree that they are weird, on those you have to buy fancier discs and an extra set of shoes that wouldn't be necessary if they used the same pads.

Last edited:
One of the front calipers is hanging up a little bit on the Solara. Destroyed the pad and rotor I put on in Sept/Oct. Just put a new pad and rotor on and it is starting to shake already. :nonono:

We have an extra we could sell you for cheap. $40? It's dirty but I don't believe it had any issues.

For his car? You would have to clean it down to the atomic level for it to look like it belonged there :laugh:

Alternators look like a sucktastic job to replace in these cars...

For his car? You would have to clean it down to the atomic level for it to look like it belonged there :laugh:

Alternators look like a sucktastic job to replace in these cars...

It is the cougar...he doesn't care....it looks like a ricers car with all the mismatched colored body parts. :laugh:

It is the cougar...he doesn't care....it looks like a ricers car with all the mismatched colored body parts. :laugh:

True... its definitely faster with the black hood. :)

We have an extra we could sell you for cheap. $40? It's dirty but I don't believe it had any issues.

Meh, for the pain it will be to remove and everything I'll probably just put in a shiny new motorcraft reman. But $40 is cheap, they told me $70 for just the core at Ford :laugh:

Back