• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

yup

You are good at this... It is in fact an '83. He got it and put some LTC seats in it. He also dropped it 2.5" I guess. It looks soooo hot with that drop.:drool::drool:

It's kind of my era. :cool:

I had a '93 Town Car that was super clean -- just a great rig. Sold it for simplicity's sake -- got kind of tired of duplicate insurance payments, etc. There's a couple pictures of it in the Common Interest thread about second cars.

There are lots of cars I'd like to own, and most of them are quite affordable -- one of the benefits of being a fan of the 1980s. These days, though, I think twice about adding to the stable -- I'd like to stay with one car, so that would mean selling the SVT if I changed cars, and I'm not sure I want to do that.

Well its sounding better and better. The only thing is I dont really have the money to do this. Unless I sell the Mysti then I can get a small loan for it.

I absolutely love the car. Tudors are hotness...

And yes I know your feeling. I am also a fan of the eighties boxes. I love these cars.:drool:

speaking of volvo's. i've always wanted one of these :)

850R.jpg

A040105_SAM_1024VOLVO850R01_N.JPG

even the wagons have racing heritage :D
volvo_850_t5-r_btcc.jpg

Well I already pretty much know what the responses to this will be. But I have a decision to make. In the next two to three months I will be buying a different car. The problem is I dont know what to do. Its either buy a Contour SVT, or buy the above posted 1983 Crown Victoria. I like them the same amount and want them both just as much as the other. I just dont know what to do.:cry:

I wouldnt drive either in the winter. I would get a beater for the winter.

Hey Clayton -- I responded to your thread with the poll. I'll touch on a few points here, too. You've got me thinking about going out an buying a Vic. :laugh: I love the cars. Something about those interiors reliably inspires optimism -- I enjoy just looking at the front seats and the dash. And don't forget vent windows. Do you smoke? If not, you might have to start, just to take advantage of them. :laugh: I jest.

It's no secret around here or with anyone that knows me that the 1980s are my favorite time period. There's something very satisfying about Fords / Lincolns and Mercurys from that era, from the Thunderbird to the Mustang to the Cougar and the Crown Victoria, not to mention the Fox body Continental, among many others.

It's no fun worrying about money, so put a simple plan together to make this happen without going into debt. Be patient, and find the right car, whether it's this '83 or not. If I had to guess, I'd say you're slightly more interested in the Vic than the SVT. I love my SVT -- she's terrific, but just pick the one that interests you more, and run with it. Stick to a plan (sounds boring, but when you're behind the wheel, it will all be worth it) and keep to a budget until that Vic is parked outside.

That is what I did for my SVT. I had the 95 for about 2 1/2 years and drove it 80K miles and hit a deer with and drove it some more. Waited until a SVT popped up that I could easily afford and within driving distance.

That is what I did for my SVT. I had the 95 for about 2 1/2 years and drove it 80K miles and hit a deer with and drove it some more. Waited until a SVT popped up that I could easily afford and within driving distance.

Yeah but I personally am a firm believer in winter beaters :) I've had one since I first bought my SVT and wouldn't have it any other way. Basically if you want to have full coverage on your summer car, along with possibly summer wheels/tires: It's cheaper just to buy a $500-$1000 beater that gets better gas mileage, can have winter tires, only liability insurance, and you won't care if it gets beat up.

Figure if I had to buy winter tires, full coverage insurance, and premium gas for the SVT, my beaters practically pay for themselves :crazy:

My vote would still be to finish paying off the Mystique (if you haven't already) and just take good care of it. The car should last you another two years no problem, save your money and pay for a fun car when you have the cash.

Honestly I would love to keep the Subie for a winter car but we simply don't have enough room where we live for 3 cars. :cry: That, plus, we look like we will have made some money on the Subie...or at the very least break even after 2 1/2 years of owning it. And we will be "rolling" that money over into another car for her.

Sooo you're going to forget to mention that it could use a new heater core? :ponder: :laugh:

No, that was a one time thing it would seem like. I think what it was, is that we took it threw the car wash the night before and there was still some moisture in it...and when she let the car warm up the next morning it didn't get of all of it. So when she hit the highway...boom, instant fog up. Hasn't done it since. My Talon did this all the time especially after I took a shower and went in there with wet hair.

Back