• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

gutting the pre-cats and main..

dingleberry

CEG'er
is this recommended? ive read PLENTY of threads about this.. i just need to hear what everyone has to say once again just in case they have heard or experienced something different.. how long will this take? i know i need new gaskets, bolts, and what kind of lube? i have my own shop.. so not to worried about what tools to use.. but still someone tell me? haha.. thanks..

pipe size is 2". i wouldnt gut the main cat though,you can get 35-40 dollars around here for used ford cat. plus unless its broken up or melted your not going to gain a whole lot........but rasp. the precats. the front is tricky,if your not removing your manifolds(and i have to assume your not otherwise you'd be putting headers on)you have to drill a hole in the bottom elbow big enough to get something up to the precat to gut it,and to get the steel wool like material out. the rear is easy,no advice really need there,accept dont look up if your not wearing goggles:blackeye:

When you can get a set of MSDS headers for $200, why bother? I've had both on my Tours and the headers win hands down. Only exception is if you're broke. It's a ton of labour either way but dealing with all the nasty stuff which comes out of the precats when you punch them is plain dangerous. Plus the entry flanges should be welded & ported to get the full benefits.

If you're interested in a pr. of precats which have been punched, welded and ported PM me. Got at least a couple of sets.

i gutted my pre-cats and my main, removed my resonator and stock muffler. Im running just a magnaflow, sure its loud but i like it. IM broke so headers weren't an option. Maybe if I quit spending all my money on this car......:nonono:

i was planning on removing them anyways to gut them perfectly.. but it doesnt really matter to me.. i just gotta think what im going to do.. might take you up on that offer on those gutted,ported,welded precats lol..

I have them all gutted on my cougar. No rasp whatsoever. But it is a completely stock exhaust and resonator.

I only gutted the main because it was shot. If yours is still good I'd keep it intact and just gut the precats. You don't need headers if you're trying to save some $$ and not worried about a few extra ponies.

lol.. one car isnt going to make a difference in the world.. for example.. DIESEL if they were worried about the environment.. i would think they would figure out a solution for all that black smoke :/

I have them all gutted on my cougar. No rasp whatsoever. But it is a completely stock exhaust and resonator.

Same here. I have the 3.0 conversion. I put headers on it,(precats gone) and then I got ambitious, and gutted the main cat, and then bolted it back up. Otherwise the exhaust is stock with the main muffler intact and both resonators. So basically I have a stock off-road exhaust system. It did become louder, but not bad. And it did feel a bit perkier.

dingle do you have a manual or auto?

Also you can gut both, but i would just pay the 200 dollars and gain more ponies with headers.

its auto.. but im not worried about how fast it goes.. just so it can sound good and i can actually drive the thing.. ive done everything else that ive need aside from a new battery that needs done.. i just gotta get it moving now lol...

its auto.. but im not worried about how fast it goes.. just so it can sound good and i can actually drive the thing.. ive done everything else that ive need aside from a new battery that needs done.. i just gotta get it moving now lol...

Just gut your precats.

Leave your main for now. IMHO.

im most likely going to gut everything.. but if its the main cat im just going to do that.. but if it isnt the main cat im still gutting it sense i'll have it off lol.. but im going to have to gut the precats if i dont have a choice :/

Back