• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

gutting the pre-cats and main..

im most likely going to gut everything.. but if its the main cat im just going to do that.. but if it isnt the main cat im still gutting it sense i'll have it off lol.. but im going to have to gut the precats if i dont have a choice :/

well if you gut everything. Be prepared to hear rasp from your exhaust:blackeye:

well instead of starting my own thread which waste space. id like you opinions on

headers into a opt y pipe. then into a highflow cat then a mag resonator back to a bassini exhaust. ?

shouldnt rasp should it

well i have borla exhaust.. the muffler and resonator with the tip.. if it sounds bad with the muffler i'll throw the resonator on :)
It's going to sound nasty either way IMO. The only reason the stock exhaust is decent is because the muffler is so quiet.

well instead of starting my own thread which waste space. id like you opinions on

headers into a opt y pipe. then into a highflow cat then a mag resonator back to a bassini exhaust. ?

shouldnt rasp should it

Should be fine with a high flow cat and resonator. I have MSDS headers and Y with a high flow cat into a resonated borla exhaust with no rasp. It's also pretty quiet (for a full aftermarket exhaust anyways).

My exhaust consists of MSDS headers, custom fab'd Y pipe, 100 cell/inch high flow cat, and a hybrid SVT exhaust. The res was removed and everything fore of it is straight (no kinks or bends). The stock SVT mufflers are intact but I had bad rasp. I added a straight through res and still have rasp, but significantly less and only betwen 3-4K RPM.

My past experience suggests that rasp is caused by a combination of factors (this is the third or fourth system I've had). Headers have more rasp than gutted precats. This is likely due to the fact that precats are heavy wall stainless with heat shields. Removing the stock res on an SVT exhaust and replacing it with straight pipe introduces rasp also. The stock Y pipe reduces rasp also.

I've found the most pleasant sounding systems from a tone, rasp and DB level use a large centre mounted muffler with nothing else. If it's too loud, you can add 2 small resonators where the stock mufflers are. We have emisssion testing here, so having a fully functioning main cat is an absolute necessity.

Don't gut the cats.. poor kitties!! :(

er hmm.. car-cats.. right! :)

If your main cat is failed, get another. Gutting and test-pipes on daily driven cars are lame. Pre-cats are arguably over-kill and do little good over a properly functioning catalyst. Unless you have a proper place to dispose of the inner-matter of the precat, don't do it. Neither your driveway or trash can which goes to the landfill is the proper place for carcinogenic waste!

/end rant

Don't gut the cats.. poor kitties!! :(

er hmm.. car-cats.. right! :)

If your main cat is failed, get another. Gutting and test-pipes on daily driven cars are lame. Pre-cats are arguably over-kill and do little good over a properly functioning catalyst. Unless you have a proper place to dispose of the inner-matter of the precat, don't do it. Neither your driveway or trash can which goes to the landfill is the proper place for carcinogenic waste!

/end rant

lol ---- no pre-cats, 2 1/4 pipe welded through stock main cat housing (so the echo from the exhaust gas tumbling around inside wont happen), trubendz y-pipe, 2.5" custom mandrels off cat and out rear drivers jack point. No mufflers or cats. I have no odd smell and rasp is existant only above 5k... its just really really loud, sounds like a cheeta or something:cool:

lol ---- no pre-cats, 2 1/4 pipe welded through stock main cat housing (so the echo from the exhaust gas tumbling around inside wont happen), trubendz y-pipe, 2.5" custom mandrels off cat and out rear drivers jack point. No mufflers or cats. I have no odd smell and rasp is existant only above 5k... its just really really loud, sounds like a cheeta or something:cool:

fucus..get a sound clip if you can. I would really hate/love to hear this:laugh:

fucus..get a sound clip if you can. I would really hate/love to hear this:laugh:

as soon as the weather gets good enough to drop my friend off in the industrial parkway and film some fly-by's .. they will b on my youtube

Back