• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

drum to svt rear disc?

D

devanmc

Just a thought im playing with in my head. i know that se rear brakes are what most have used for the drum to disc converstion. Would there be any more parts needed or any thing different about using svt rear brakes?

Just a thought im playing with in my head. i know that se rear brakes are what most have used for the drum to disc converstion. Would there be any more parts needed or any thing different about using svt rear brakes?

no as the SE and SVT rear brakes are exactly the same ...

alright thanks.

what are the sizes of the avalible big brake kits and what size wheel would you need to clear them. (if you know them off hand, if not ill search)

cheapest option would be the nautilus kit and that allows 300mm front rotors if you have SVT front brakes and 278mm rear rotors, or SVT from rotors for the back

you need a 16" wheel

otherwise you are looking at TCE or Baer kits

thanks for the help, ill see what happens through the spring.

if you used only the nautilus kit for the rear and left the front stock or used stock svt rotors you only need 15" wheels . but if you did a front nautilus kit then you would need 16"

those are some big friken brakes if you need 16's to clear them. :shocked:

wow... and why do we need that big of brakes unless its just so they run cooler :shrug:

because they give the brakes better leverage and stop the car faster. the stock brakes are not very impressive. even on the SVT.

Uhm... increased leverage means more friction and MORE STOPPING POWER. You stop quicker, more solidly and more confidently. Even if you aren't on a road course, they help tons!

Every day driving, emergency/panic stops, deer jumping in the road, etc, etc.. you can stop MUCH MUCH MUCH quicker. Its hard to even fathom the difference larger rotors/bigger brakes makes until you've felt it.

Last edited:
hmmm, if only i knew someone with a big brake kit that would let me drive there car. :laugh: then i could find out

those are some big friken brakes if you need 16's to clear them. :shocked:

Most aftermarket brake kits you need at least 17's to clear. A nice kit that you can still fit 16's over and use stock front brakes in the rear is pretty sweet and that is why a number of people have upgraded to the NPG kit.

interesting, well reebs as i was going to do lots of engine work to my car. bagged talked me out of it and more for suspension and looks. so im wondering what to do with this money that i planned on spending for other things.

Also the VOA Big Brake Kit (Vision One Autosports) is a front kit that also uses the Focus 300mm rotor, and Wilwood calipers.

I plan on installing that kit on my Cougar, and I've got the Nautilus / Warmonger rear kit to help balance it out.

Back