• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Getting my TRUE COLD AIR Intake on.

I dont know if its necessarily good to have the MAF so close to the TB.

Otherwise im impressed, congrats on figuring out how to do this... as for your brakes pulse, if your intake is knocking against the boost you might feel that in the brake pedal. Also, the pulsing could be from warped rotors, when my rotors were warped it pulsed like a MOFO. new rotors, completely fixed.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it, but that would consist of me buying more parts, that I don't have the money for right now. I know it's not the best idea, but I really had no other choice, for the time being. It will get changed, but not for the time being. I still have a little bit of work, but in the end, the money to me, will be WELL spent. I've been driving it for a while, and I'm impressed by what just the CAI over the stock has improved.

well why tackle a project on your daily driver when you dont have the cash to do it right?

So many projects have gone miserably wrong due to ghetto rigging. Put the stock intake back on until you can relocate that MAF to its proper location.

Also, an upgraded intake does make a significant difference on the zetec, you really can feel it, however, eliminating the air intake plenum (the box that went on top of your throttle body) really did change the way the engine revs, with that giant box it gives you a better mid range, making it a direct pipe gives better air flow for the top range, you probably feel the torque band open right up at about 3500 RPMs, as opposed to having it *yawn* in there like it used too.

Last edited:
well why tackle a project on your daily driver when you dont have the cash to do it right?

So many projects have gone miserably wrong due to ghetto rigging. Put the stock intake back on until you can relocate that MAF to its proper location.

Also, an upgraded intake does make a significant difference on the zetec, you really can feel it, however, eliminating the air intake plenum (the box that went on top of your throttle body) really did change the way the engine revs, with that giant box it gives you a better mid range, making it a direct pipe gives better air flow for the top range, you probably feel the torque band open right up at about 3500 RPMs, as opposed to having it *yawn* in there like it used too.

I know what you mean. I had all the parts I needed to complete it, once I went and picked up the rest of them, while the car was sitting, but I have a dog that likes to chew on anything he can get to. This is not the only DD available, so I don't have to drive it until I can get 2-3 more couplers, which shouldn't be too much longer, as I'm selling a bunch of stuff I don't need. I definitely did feel the gains in the midrange RPMs. I am impressed with what it has done.

What you REALLY need to do is make a How-To. I don't think anyone has actually done a TRUE CAI on a Zetec...I'm pretty pumped :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You newbies make me laugh. Check it out...

P7190001.jpg

This is a TRUE CAI with the filter in the fender.

P8030012_Custom_Intake_Filter_small.jpg

P7190013.jpg

Chekc out my original thread. :cool:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...ber=974479&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

BTW, I don't have the new 2.0 version pics on there anymore. I could dig them up and post them if anyone is interested.

If I were going to do it again, I'd go to NAPA and get a bunch of 3" truck radiator hose bends for $10 a piece. It wouldn't be as pretty but it'd be a helluva lot cheaper.

HTH,
BP

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You newbies make me laugh. Check it out...

P7190001.jpg

This is a TRUE CAI with the filter in the fender.

P8030012_Custom_Intake_Filter_small.jpg

P7190013.jpg

Chekc out my original thread. :cool:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...ber=974479&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

BTW, I don't have the new 2.0 version pics on there anymore. I could dig them up and post them if anyone is interested.

If I were going to do it again, I'd go to NAPA and get a bunch of 3" truck radiator hose bends for $10 a piece. It wouldn't be as pretty but it'd be a helluva lot cheaper.

HTH,
BP

I'd like to see what you went to, after the CAI. I was going to move my battery, but I didn't feel like hassling with all the wiring.

I went to what I call my WAI (Warm Air Intake). It is a much straighter setup that just angles down in front of the transmission. The air filter rests on the subframe where my AC condenser used to be. I'll have to dig up some picks.

Because of the straighter run, my car ran much better. Having the angles right before the MAF made it idle kinda funky.

BP

Yes and no. The short CTA and Focus intakes are HOT Air Intakes. When I had a digital thermometer on my CTA intake, on cool 60 degree days, I was still hitting 140 degrees in stop and go traffic. On 90 degree days with the AC on, it would go over 185 degrees (the highest my digital thermometer could read).

While the CAI is theoroetically perfect, all of the bends hurt performance. My WAI is very straight and is only affected when sitting at loong stop lights. As soon as I start moving, the temps drop to within 20 degrees of ambient.

The SleeperZ intake is still the best bank-for-the-buck CAI. ...as long as you get rid of the resonator garbage in the fender...

BP

Yes and no. The short CTA and Focus intakes are HOT Air Intakes. When I had a digital thermometer on my CTA intake, on cool 60 degree days, I was still hitting 140 degrees in stop and go traffic. On 90 degree days with the AC on, it would go over 185 degrees (the highest my digital thermometer could read).

While the CAI is theoroetically perfect, all of the bends hurt performance. My WAI is very straight and is only affected when sitting at loong stop lights. As soon as I start moving, the temps drop to within 20 degrees of ambient.

The SleeperZ intake is still the best bank-for-the-buck CAI. ...as long as you get rid of the resonator garbage in the fender...

BP
you know whats funny is that over the summer, even with the filter mounted in the stock location, i never went above 110 Intake Temp on my turbo setup. even while sitting still. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well here's my plan. Like I said, I THOUGHT about a CAI, but no longer. I'm leaving the stock airbox on the TB, running some sort of aftermarket piping as straight as possible to replace stock air filter location, and drop in an aftermarket filter with some sort of heatshield. The heatshield will come afterwards, still not sure what I could do for it...

you know whats funny is that over the summer, even with the filter mounted in the stock location, i never went above 110 Intake Temp on my turbo setup. even while sitting still. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

WTF? How in the world did you pull that off? Where do you have your IAT mounted? Those temps were measured in my ATX tour. I wonder if having the ATX cooler built into the radiator really makes that much of a difference.

BTW, you've now got a SVT? Welcome to the "I'm addicted to Contours club." ;) I sohuld reall get off my a$$ and part out my wrecked ATX and get rid of it. Nobody NEEDS 3 'tours. :crazy:

BP

WTF? How in the world did you pull that off? Where do you have your IAT mounted? Those temps were measured in my ATX tour. I wonder if having the ATX cooler built into the radiator really makes that much of a difference.

BTW, you've now got a SVT? Welcome to the "I'm addicted to Contours club." ;) I sohuld reall get off my a$$ and part out my wrecked ATX and get rid of it. Nobody NEEDS 3 'tours. :crazy:

BP
The IAT is located about 8-10" before the TB. im still not sure how it happened but im definetely not complaining.:laugh::laugh:

And yeah, Im addicted to contours:D

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a CAI? wouldn't you lose hp by sucking in warm air?

not on the zetec tour... People have been reporting gains as big as 12 WHP just out of an intake on a zetec, the stock intake setup BLOWS on the zetec motor, ESPECIALLY the pre98.

not on the zetec tour... People have been reporting gains as big as 12 WHP just out of an intake on a zetec, the stock intake setup BLOWS on the zetec motor, ESPECIALLY the pre98.

Deff first mod then for me lol. I like the way the all blue looks, I wonder if they sell it in all red :ponder:

I found one off of my old 88 civic, it had the DPI so the Tb was the same as the tour's, waiting for warmer weather then ill see if it fits or not!

Back