• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Getting my TRUE COLD AIR Intake on.

96Mystique

CEG'er
So, I got my new 00-04 Focus intake. I've been working on getting it all together and fitted for my '96 Mystique. I had to take out the battery tray. Which was a PITA, but I found out something that I'm glad I got to see. The wires coming from my fuse box, going to the positive side of the battery are breaking apart, and the insulator is just falling off. So, I have to get some electrical tape, solder, some more wire, and I should have another project soon. :laugh: Anyway, I got everything in there, but I have to look in the JY's for a piece that I broke off, without realizing it. It's fitting fairly well so far. I had to move the A/C canister, and I'm going to have to modify the battery tray. I have a few more things to get, which I forgot to grab when I was at the parts store last time. :nonono: I have to get a couple reducers, and some 'intake hose.' No pictures yet, but I will get some soon.

Just a tip from CAI's done on Cougar's: The fusebox can be flipped UPSIDE-DOWN and installed directly underneath the battery! This way you won't need to move the battery, but it becomes VERY difficult to access the fusebox...just an idea for you...

Just a tip from CAI's done on Cougar's: The fusebox can be flipped UPSIDE-DOWN and installed directly underneath the battery! This way you won't need to move the battery, but it becomes VERY difficult to access the fusebox...just an idea for you...

That's what I did!

The battery can stay in place, it's not the battery that would be in the way. It's the battery tray or whatever it is called. There's a peice that makes sure it doesn't 'buckle' under the weight of the battery, which is what would be keeping me from completing the CAI. I've been thinking of just relocating the batter to the trunk, though, we'll see what happens.

I was 'attempting' the fuse box upside down, and it's not possible. Maybe it's different with Post and Pre98s? Or, a different fuse box for Mystiques, and Contours? I then did have to modify the battery tray, and everything is fitting snuggly so far. I'll be completely done tomorrow, hopefully, and I should have some pictures up.

What you REALLY need to do is make a How-To. I don't think anyone has actually done a TRUE CAI on a Zetec...I'm pretty pumped :)

What you REALLY need to do is make a How-To. I don't think anyone has actually done a TRUE CAI on a Zetec...I'm pretty pumped :)

I intend to, there's some modifications though, so make sure you have either a hacksaw or a sawzall. It's a little pricey, I bought everything for I think $60-$70, but I'm sure it will be WELL worth it. :D

I intend to, there's some modifications though, so make sure you have either a hacksaw or a sawzall. It's a little pricey, I bought everything for I think $60-$70, but I'm sure it will be WELL worth it. :D

As I said, I thought about doing a true CAI, but I don't think it's worth the money and work. I figure it'll be easier to do the Focus short-ram :shrug:

I will agree with you on easier/cheaper to do the short ram, no questions asked. But, I think the Cold air intake will have better performance, over the Short ram. I'm not sure if the performance to price ratio will be worth it, but oh well, money is spent, and we'll see if it's worth it.

A friend of mine in Columbus ran a true CAI on a Zetec Cougar once.

http://cougardb.com/image.php?id=5577

The top half is a CTA intake, I think, and the cold-air extension is a carbon fiber GMK unit designed for a V6.

Sorry, I meant to clarify it as a Contour Zetec, not that there is any difference. I have heard of this on the Cougar Zetec :). I stand corrected :eek:

Well, I got it finished tonight, but now I have 2 other problems.

1st Problem : When accelerating the brake peddle has a 'pulse' of some sort in it. It brakes fine, and accelerates as normal (a little faster though. :D ) Any ideas what this may be? I did hit the master cylinder, a few times, not anything that I would suspect would cause this.

2nd Problem : I'm leaking transmission fluid. :( I've been leaking for a while now, but it seems that it's gotten worse in the past few days. I think I'm going to take it to the shop and see how much they would charge me to replace it.

I drove it a little today, and it's LOUD around the 4500RPM-5500RPM. Sounds damn good though. Noticeable gains, pretty much what you would expect, not too much. I have more of a power band in the higher RPMs where my car just lacked like crazy.

Congratulations on the install! Well done!

On the tranny leak, find out where it's coming from. You may just need a seal at the axle. I went through a tranny leak on the driver side of my first Contour and the seal was a cheap fix.

Brake pulse - I haven't a clue. Do you have ABS/traction control on your car?

I have ABS on my car, and the lights been on since I got the car. The intake is actually sitting on the reservoir for the brakes. Every time I accelerate the vibrations from the intake are shaking all of brake parts in the engine bay.

100_7656Medium.jpg

100_7652Medium.jpg

100_7651Medium.jpg

I'm in the process of cleaning up the engine bay as much as possible, just haven't found any good products to reach the valley in between the cams, and a few other places. Sorry about the blurry pics too. I also have a video of what it sounds like, I just need to convert it and host it.

Back