• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil problems.....HELP FAST!!!

TRicker

Hard-core CEG'er
well i changed my oil today......it only gave me back three quarts. and the car was off for about 2 hours before i changed it. it wasnt reading on the dipstick.

it doesnt leak oil, and i cant see any smoke at any time. i've got two ideas of where it could be going.....

1. into the antifreeze..... but that is fine as far as i know.
2. staying in the heads (clogged drainbacks from gunked up old conventional oil from the previous owner) i did run seafoam through it this oil change.

3. i'm running the taurus crankcase vent box with a "custom" tube going to the 2.5L PCV. someone said once that the PCV is built into the 2003 taurus' vent box and i would be running two PCV's in line if that is true. could this be giving me too much crankcase pressure causing the engine to burn oil...... (but like i said i never see any smoke) ?????

help! i don't know what the problem is....... i cant find a leak, i can't see/smell burning.....but it's not keeping oil!

thanks for the help boys and gal's i need a response fast i'm getting worried...

oh yeah and the specs......

2003 taurus block and heads, SVT cams, intakes. i kept the 2003 taurus oil pan on it. the gasket for that was untouched. all the other gaskets were replaced. like i said, it doesnt leak any fluids. i cant even see any excessive oil or grease buildup on the engine or any of the chassis. i'm at a total state of confusion. it must be burning oil or it's not draining back. the oil in it before made the inside of the engine a slight red in color....i'm guessing they used a cheap conventional oil on it....there were some sludge deposits in the heads when i had the valve covers off. anyways thanks for any insight you guys might have.

well i changed my oil today......it only gave me back three quarts. and the car was off for about 2 hours before i changed it. it wasnt reading on the dipstick.

it doesnt leak oil, and i cant see any smoke at any time. i've got two ideas of where it could be going.....

1. into the antifreeze..... but that is fine as far as i know.
2. staying in the heads (clogged drainbacks from gunked up old conventional oil from the previous owner) i did run seafoam through it this oil change.

3. i'm running the taurus crankcase vent box with a "custom" tube going to the 2.5L PCV. someone said once that the PCV is built into the 2003 taurus' vent box and i would be running two PCV's in line if that is true. could this be giving me too much crankcase pressure causing the engine to burn oil...... (but like i said i never see any smoke) ?????

help! i don't know what the problem is....... i cant find a leak, i can't see/smell burning.....but it's not keeping oil!

thanks for the help boys and gal's i need a response fast i'm getting worried...

oh yeah and the specs......

2003 taurus block and heads, SVT cams, intakes. i kept the 2003 taurus oil pan on it. the gasket for that was untouched. all the other gaskets were replaced. like i said, it doesnt leak any fluids. i cant even see any excessive oil or grease buildup on the engine or any of the chassis. i'm at a total state of confusion. it must be burning oil or it's not draining back. the oil in it before made the inside of the engine a slight red in color....i'm guessing they used a cheap conventional oil on it....there were some sludge deposits in the heads when i had the valve covers off. anyways thanks for any insight you guys might have.

There wouldn't be an issue with both pcv's inline.

There wouldn't be two full quarts of oil hanging out in the heads. You are leaking or burning it.
Did you replace the rings in the engine, or did you inspect them?

i didnt remove the heads. it doesnt smoke though tom...... if it lost 2 quarts in 3500 miles i would notice smoke!

oh by the way i've been using mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic oil. should i be using a heavier oil?

i didnt remove the heads. it doesnt smoke though tom...... if it lost 2 quarts in 3500 miles i would notice smoke!

oh by the way i've been using mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic oil. should i be using a heavier oil?

See there is the funny part...that most people don't know.
The mobile1 synthetics can burn but don't produce a bluish smoke. You could be burning oil right and left and as long as you are putting in mobile1 synthetic you will not see it at the tailpipe. Yes it is true and I know this for a fact. Swap over to standard oil on this oil change, or just add two quarts of regular oil and see if it start to produce blue smoke after a while.
I hope it isn't the case but....

See there is the funny part...that most people don't know.
The mobile1 synthetics can burn but don't produce a bluish smoke. You could be burning oil right and left and as long as you are putting in mobile1 synthetic you will not see it at the tailpipe. Yes it is true and I know this for a fact. Swap over to standard oil on this oil change, or just add two quarts of regular oil and see if it start to produce blue smoke after a while.
I hope it isn't the case but....

Use the standard oil from wal-mart. I read up on some tests and Super Tech was rated on the top 10. Surprisingly, mobil 1 and some other synthetics were lower on the chart. Sounds crazy but its true.

Honestly I've used some of the Supertech products because they are dirt cheap. I've been very impressed with there engine degreaser because it's half the price and does a better job that the normal degreasers out there. I haven't had any issues with the oil or the transmission fluid they make either but I suppose the differences may not show up in the short term. I normally use it as the cheap oil which is switched out after the first 500 miles on 3L cars I bulid.

well i went with a quaker state brand.... i used it on my 2.5 before.... it's the "high horsepower" blend. synthetic 5W-30. i can smell a small amount of smoke when i pull up to stop signs with the window open. i smell nothing at the tailpipe. i think i might not have the oil cooler tight enough on the block. a little bit of oil i noticed is dropping right past the oil filter and hitting the Y pipe and burning off. i also noticed that the valve cover breathers have little lines of oil dripping, like the tubes are not sealing up on the valve cover. next oil change, i'm going to tighten that big allen end on the oil cooler a little more and see if it can be tightened any more. i dont know why oil would drip off it but w/e ..... it surely is.

i changed the oil on saturday and it's still reading right on full where it should. i don't smell the smoke as much as i did on the last oil change. maybe adding sea foam to the oil a couple hundred miles before a change helps.....

You could also try placing a clean piece of cardboard evenly under your motor where you park. That way if you have some leakage you can pinpoint where it is falling off. Also it would help confirm that it is in fact burning and not leaking.

When I changed my oil last I had only lost about .25 of a qt. but there was a thin film of oil on alot of stuff on the underside of my motor. I cant seem to find where its coming from.

Back