• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Uss Jfk

baco99

Hard-core CEG'er
Anyone going to see the USS JFK this weekend? It's only in Boston this weekend before being decommissioned in FL. I think I'm going on Sunday.

saw that on the news last night.
wouldnt mind going but i dont feel like dealing with the tons of people that will be there.

Hahahahah!

Actually, Robin and I are heading there about 7am on Saturday... er... this morning.

I was on the JFK in the Harbor about '89 or '90 shortly after we took out two Libyan MiGs. The '14 that took them out was roped off at one end of the flight deck. ;) Ahhh... the first time I laid a hand on a Tomcat. And only one of maybe 3 times I've done that.

It's sad to see it go, but, the Truman and the Roosevelt are going to be just fine. ;)

I visited the JFK during that time frame too! I was about 12 at the time and I remember being awestruck by the size of the boat and all of the planes it housed.

The first time on the JFK cemented my dream to become a pilot with the USN.

Unfortunately I wound up needing glasses, so that shot the dream for me.

Anyhoo.

We hit the boat today. Got in line about 7:30am, on the boat around 11am or so. By the time we were leaving, the line was closed off, as the wait was about 4 hours.

The flight deck and hangar deck were open. One F/A-18C on the hangar deck, one F/A-18c up on cat 2, but closed down and unarmed. There was a SAR bird up there, too, but I don't remember the model. LOTS of armed guards around, however. M4's, shotguns, and pistols were all visible and ready to go. Pretty intimidating.

I'll post pics when I have them taken off the camera.

i tried to get on, but it was too long. i got there around 930 and just went for a 2 hour run. when i got back the people getting off the boat had entered the line at 5 AM!

incidentally, for $20 a water taxi would take you around the boat. i almost did that one, but was too tired at that point and headed home.

Back