• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lifter/Valve noise

Myrosia

CEG'er
1999 Contour
2.0 L
108.000 miles

It's making ticking noise but then goes away after warms up.

I want to change the Lifers/Valves.

Is this hard and does anyone have video and/or decription how to do it?

Should I have the dealer do it?

Thanks

Last edited:
lifter noise

lifter noise

same thing happened to mine. The cheapest way to start off is changing ur oil. I went thicker and for some reason it stopped ticking. If it doesnt work, u might wanna work on ur lifters. I dont even think they're called that. Not sure but do a search and u'll find a bunch of stuff on this. Its been covered b4.

Agreed with above, check/change your oil. I had a temporary tick when my oil was dangerously low, but it went away after I added more. Remember, the oil should be at or a bit above the "max" line at all times.

To replace the valves/springs (no lifters, since its got overhead cams) should be driveway doable, so long as you have the tools and some experience. I haven't seen any guide or tutorial for it though. (short of the haynes manual, and Ford CD)

I already use 5w30 Mobil 1 snythetic oil and just had anther oil change. Should I go 10w30 maybe next time?

Also, I don't use the Motorcraft oil filter which I just read about.

I looked for info on changing the valves, no luck.

Do you have to take off the timing belt too?

This is entirely normal. Nothing is really wrong with your engine...Do a bit of searching and you'll see many threads about the Zetec tick...

Remember, the oil should be at or a bit above the "max" line at all times.
i wouldn't recommend that, it's called the "max" line for a reason.
as for the valve replacement, if you do choose to go forward with it, it can be a tough job. you'll have to pull the head off (meaning new head gasket and bolts), get a valve spring compressor, remove all the lifters, compress the springs, remove valve retainer, valves drop out, pull springs and valve guides, then reverse it all with new parts. it's really all that easy. hopefully, the oil fix should be all you need.

i wouldn't recommend that, it's called the "max" line for a reason.
as for the valve replacement, if you do choose to go forward with it, it can be a tough job. you'll have to pull the head off (meaning new head gasket and bolts), get a valve spring compressor, remove all the lifters, compress the springs, remove valve retainer, valves drop out, pull springs and valve guides, then reverse it all with new parts. it's really all that easy. hopefully, the oil fix should be all you need.

Thanks

The ticking happens all the time now. Even if I stop the engine for like 1-2 hours and restart it, the ticking is still there.

I also been using snythetic oil for a long time but sticking is still there.

Suggestions?

Yes, I been using Mobil 1 synthetic for a long time now and just had an oil change.

Should I be using tha motorcraft oil filter maybe?

pretty sure mobil 1 should be ok, as long as you're using an appropriate weight. a tough problem you have, though. could be any number of imperfections with the head or its components, or possibly even a bit of foreign debris in one of the cylinders, although probably not, since if goes away when it gets warm.

i say, if it's still running fine, and the noise is bearable, you're much better off leaving it. if you don't have any cel codes, it's probably not causing any harm.

Hey guys,

OK, I am now using the Motorcraft filter. I also been using Mobil1 synthetic for a long time now.

I still have that tick, tick, ticking noise around the valve cover. Even if I stop the engine for like 1-2 hours and restart it, the ticking is still there. Although, it does tend to go away after it warms up...but again even after sitting 1-2 hours and restarts again.

A few mechanic and one at Ford dealer suggested it may be valve(s) and/or tappets that may needs to be replaced.

I plan on keeping the car and have invested quite a lot and starting to get low in funds.

Any suggestions what I can do short of replacing anything?

1999 Contour SE
2.0 L
108.000 miles

I dont see any point in doing such a major repair just because of a valve noise.

My zetec has 165K on it, has noisey valves and has ever since I bought it, runs great, great fuel economy.

If anything, you should actually be considering replacing your timing belt, letting that snap can be extremely inconvient. They usualy fail around 100K miles because a tensioner on the timing belt assembly takes a crap.

I dont see any point in doing such a major repair just because of a valve noise.

My zetec has 165K on it, has noisey valves and has for about 7K miles, runs great, great fuel economy.

If anything, you should actually be considering replacing your timing belt, letting that snap can be extremely inconvient. They usualy fail around 100K miles because a tensioner on the timing belt assembly takes a crap.

The timing belt and tensioners/pully were all replaced last year.

In addition, is there no way to decrease the ticking noise?

other than replace the lifters/tappets no.

its just one of those weird quirks about the zetec engine.

other than replace the lifters/tappets no.

its just one of those weird quirks about the zetec engine.

Am not so sure this is a quirk. The ticking noise has increased and is now loader than before. Actually, my cousin realized it when he heard it the other day and said it sounded worst.

Maybe I should have not invested the new struts/springs and new tranny/engine mounts the past month at the dealer. I spent a lot of finance...just to now hear that ticking increased.

My concern is that in the wintertime it's going to be twofold the ticking and noise since it's so cold on the engine and the oil is thicker in winter. I am concerned that something will break…either the valves or something in there too.

Last edited:
Additives to engine oil actually damages the motor oil's protective qualities. Motor oil is already formulated to keep the internals of your motor clean and efficient.

What about adding Lucas or Slick 50 or BG CF5™ and BG MOA®?

This site, http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgservices/lubricationfuel.htm, says that the intake valves were spotlessly cleaned after one tankful of fuel using BG CF5™ in the fuel tank. Also, BG MOA® prevented oil oxidation and kept the engine clean throughout a 240 hour triple-length Sequence IIIF engine test.

Are you positive it is not a leaky exhaust or manifold? Post a sound clip. A leaky exhaust can cause a ticking sound. And it goes away after warming up.

Are you positive it is not a leaky exhaust or manifold? Post a sound clip. A leaky exhaust can cause a ticking sound. And it goes away after warming up.

I don't know how to do a sound clip.

Although, I put a stethscope thing on top of the valve cover and you can hear the ticking going..click click click..like putting the back of two teaspoons together and clapping them.

Last edited:
I put a stethscope thing on top of the valve cover and you can hear the ticking going..click click click..like putting the back of two teaspoons together.
That sounds bad. :blackeye: But do post a sound clip.

Back