• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Started project free SVT today....

any update on the car?

It has accumulated more dust.....

Our attention (mostly Pole's as I'm only at the shop Mondays this month) has been focused on another project. Think battle-ready mini cruiser. ;)

Indeed....been busy trying to get my daily ride re-built for this winter....it's undergoing quite the transformation....It's been dubbed the "rally-ready" paint job. My sig. has been updated subtly for a hint....things are a little darker around the shop these days.

Last edited:
Josh... how much to store my SVT in your garage over the Winter? (yes, I am serious)

A bazilion dollars.....

Garage is full.

BLKOUT2
Track car
Slowverfrost

A single unit (10 X 20) will run you $80/month and good luck getting one as i believe all of his 700+ units are full.

nice... but will it be missing all its nifty one off parts? LOL

we will have to talk soon... :) I basically just dont want to deal with moving all the cars around when we get snow because we have that nifty street parking rule. I really want the Subie in the garage though so its all nice and toasty when I need to leave in the morning for work.

Small project update:

This week/next week Slowverfrost and BLKTIVA should be done, then comes the moment I've been waiting for...working on the race car again.

Presently I've decided to take just the race car to SZ08...that's a long drive with no stereo and loud exhaust. :crazy: What does this mean exactly? Well, BLKOUT2 will be painted in spring and that's about it for new mods as i focus my time and energy on building the track car.

The race car fund is up to $200+ and I've still got a lot left to sell so a Taurus 3L is on my shopping list. The plan in the books right now is to build a Hybrid 3L. With 2 SVT engines and a ton of engine parts in house i should have no problem building the engine for little more than the $450 engine cost (plus possible bearing upgrade and bolts). The hybrid will be run with no tuning, since i expect(and others have shown) the stock MAF and injectors can balance my A/F out sufficiently. I'll be installing the Max honed upper/65mm TB and modified LIM that were on for BLKOUT2s 188HP run with the 2.5. I'll be porting the heads aggressively myself. For the sake of cost yet again, I'll be keeping the stock SVT oil pan and pickup and just running 6.5 qts and my big-ol' oil pressure gauge.

BLKTIVA has some new seats so the racing seat i got some time ago for free is available for the car, though I've been considering building my own seat from fiberglass fit to my body, we'll see what happens with that as time goes on.

As for the half cage, hopefully I still have access to the tubing bender i was offered some time ago, and material should be relatively inexpensive. Obtaining harnesses might prove difficult for cheap, and for safety I'd rather not skimp, so the money for them will have to come from somewhere.

Some of the first things on my list are:

Install new pedals and brake booster from parts car
Paint engine bay, configure new component layout
Convert windows to manual crank, install plexi windows
Remove Sunroof
Lighten 5MPH bumper and core support and install

Last edited:
Just a thought, but why not go with a 04 Escape motor with the upgraded oil pan already on it? All you would have to buy is a new gasket if you wanted to :shrug:

Just a thought, but why not go with a 04 Escape motor with the upgraded oil pan already on it? All you would have to buy is a new gasket if you wanted to :shrug:

Low mileage Taurus motor: $450.16 and tons to choose from @ that price, for instance one with 18K currently available delivered to my door.

Low mileage Escape motor: $650 at least, not delivered

It's all about cost really. I'll be safe with the 6.5 qts. and gauge, i might install a waring light to the top of the dash if it drops below 20psi or so, cheap and easy alarm of low pressure.

Realistically, no it's not high. Sounds like you got a good deal...details?

The Taurus engine presents itself as more easily obtained. Really the oil pan isn't that big of a deal with enough oil. I should have adequate measures in place to save the motor from low oil pressure.

Looked up a junkyard in the state that carries exclusively late model vehicles. Went up there to inspect what they had and get a price. Found one with low miles that I will be purchasing shortly in the price range I mentioned. I just had to wait for some money back from a rim deal that went south thanks to FEDEX. :nonono:

Small project update:

This week/next week Slowverfrost and BLKTIVA should be done, then comes the moment I've been waiting for...working on the race car again.

Presently I've decided to take just the race car to SZ08...that's a long drive with no stereo and loud exhaust. :crazy: What does this mean exactly? Well, BLKOUT2 will be painted in spring and that's about it for new mods as i focus my time and energy on building the track car.

The race car fund is up to $200+ and I've still got a lot left to sell so a Taurus 3L is on my shopping list. The plan in the books right now is to build a Hybrid 3L. With 2 SVT engines and a ton of engine parts in house i should have no problem building the engine for little more than the $450 engine cost (plus possible bearing upgrade and bolts). The hybrid will be run with no tuning, since i expect(and others have shown) the stock MAF and injectors can balance my A/F out sufficiently. I'll be installing the Max honed upper/65mm TB and modified LIM that were on for BLKOUT2s 188HP run with the 2.5. I'll be porting the heads aggressively myself. For the sake of cost yet again, I'll be keeping the stock SVT oil pan and pickup and just running 6.5 qts and my big-ol' oil pressure gauge.

BLKTIVA has some new seats so the racing seat i got some time ago for free is available for the car, though I've been considering building my own seat from fiberglass fit to my body, we'll see what happens with that as time goes on.

As for the half cage, hopefully I still have access to the tubing bender i was offered some time ago, and material should be relatively inexpensive. Obtaining harnesses might prove difficult for cheap, and for safety I'd rather not skimp, so the money for them will have to come from somewhere.

Some of the first things on my list are:

Install new pedals and brake booster from parts car
Paint engine bay, configure new component layout
Convert windows to manual crank, install plexi windows
Remove Sunroof
Lighten 5MPH bumper and core support and install

What size tubing? Are tubing bender at work is good to 38mm. I think we have an 1 1/2" die also. Ohterwise we have hydraulic conduit benders. I have just a little experience bending pipe...just a little :)

The Taurus engine presents itself as more easily obtained. Really the oil pan isn't that big of a deal with enough oil. I should have adequate measures in place to save the motor from low oil pressure.

Or give me the pan a few sheets of AL. and I'll expand it by a few quarts?

josh, when you say plexi windows, you mean polycarbonate? right? [or commonly known as lexan]. good luck trying to do the windows, I've made a couple attempts without much luck [although the windshields arent too hard to do]

What size tubing? Are tubing bender at work is good to 38mm. I think we have an 1 1/2" die also. Ohterwise we have hydraulic conduit benders. I have just a little experience bending pipe...just a little :)

Most likely 1-1/4"

Or give me the pan a few sheets of AL. and I'll expand it by a few quarts?

Not a bad idea, the old man is already doing some AL welding for me, i may throw this idea at him.

josh, when you say plexi windows, you mean polycarbonate? right? [or commonly known as lexan]. good luck trying to do the windows, I've made a couple attempts without much luck [although the windshields arent too hard to do]

Yes, polycarbonate. Care to share what troubles you had? Doesn't pay to make the same mistakes.

Back