• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help on Painting(SPRAY CAN) Front Oval!

qbcsvt

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey guys I was trying to paint the front oval(Black) using Spray can Paint from an auto store.

I cleaned the oval. and started right over the silver???!!!!???:shrug:

I started off with Grey Sandable primer - nice heavy coat

Sanded it smooth after it dried.

Went on with Krylon Fusion 3x coats leaving about 2 hours in between coats. (says dries in 12 minutes on can)

Then i got a clear acrylic enamel and put 3 coats of that leaving enough time and all.

Now it looks good but its coming out a dull black kind of a plastic black thats a bit shiny. the paint is applied smooth and looks very good just doesnt match the color of the car correctly.

I cant get it to match that my svt @ all. At night you cant tell but in the day u realize one color is different from the other.

Can anyone who painted their Front oval black give me some pointers? What company and color spray cans(Primer,Color,clear).

and if im doing this correctly?

Thanks in advance

- Amyn 0532

i think your suppose to put the silver oval piece in some type of acid. Then i think i would get it professionaly painted to the car but idk sometimes you probably could get the black to match?

i think your suppose to put the silver oval piece in some type of acid. Then i think i would get it professionaly painted to the car but idk sometimes you probably could get the black to match?

you can either dip it in muric acid (sp?), search for that one...there has been many threads started and explaining that process, OR you can just sand the chrome off to the bare plastic. either way is better than simply painting over the chrome. Maybe that is what your problem is....

this may sound stupid...but did you buy the right kind of black?? there are several different shades and tones of black.

its called muriatic acid, and then go to napa, or advance, and get duplicolor spray paint for the right black

Taken from this thread http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=12598&highlight=paint+code+black

Midnight Red Metallic Clearcoat EN/M6697
Desert Coral Metallic Clearcoat FD/M6626
Light Prairie Tan Metallic Clearcoat BA/M6818
Pumice Metallic Clearcoat DK/M6612
Dark Toreador Red Pearl Clearcoat JL/M6771
Deep Navy Blue Metallic Clearcoat K4/M6820
Royal Blue Metallic Clearcoat KM/M6479 (Moonlight)
Pacific Green Metallic Clearcoat PS/M6764
Teal Metallic Clearcoat RD/M6630
Willow Frost Pearl Clearcoat SD/M6766
Alpine Green Metallic Clearcoat SR/M6767
Silver Frost Metallic Clearcoat TS/M6720

-Black Ebony Clearcoat UA/M6373- ?

Performance White Clearcoat WT/M6640
Portofino Metallic Clearcoat XC/M6623
Cabernet Red Pearl Clearcoat D6/M6871
Toreador Red Pearl Metallic Clearcoat FL/M6758
Spruce Green Metallic Clearcoat FS/M6860
Dark Satin Green Metallic Clearcoat FU/M6862
Dark Toreador Red Pearl Clearcoat JL/M6771
Light Denim Blue Metallic Clearcoat K1/M6815
Deep Navy Blue Metallic Clearcoat K4/M6820
Pacific Green Metallic Clearcoat PS/M6764
Medium Steel Blue Metallic Clearcoat SP/M6966
Amazon Green Metallic Clearcoat SU/M6922
Harvest Gold Metallic Clearcoat B2/M6926
Chestnut Metallic Clearcoat B4/M6938

or you could just go to pepboys/advanced auto and find your year/model/car in the paint book.

I'd just like to say that I painted mine without stripping the chrome. I just scuffed it up with sandpaper then used Adhesion Promoter before the primer.

i belive your suposed to take off the chrome with some kind of acid. thats what the paint shop did with mine and it looks flawless :) cept mines silver frost

I sanded mine real well with 60 grit then 120. I couldn't get all the chrome off. So i primed over it and painted it with several coats of t-red then with clear.

No chips or anything for 6 months now. Looks brand new. :)

I just cleaned mine and painted right over the chrome, then cleared it. came out really good, i spent no more then an hour on it. let it dry over night, then slapped it on the car. :eek:

I just did mine today, used 120 grit, then 320 to smoothen it out. The chrome was still on but scuffed really good, but I used the duplicolor in a spray can (three coats for even coverage) then I cleared it over (two heavy coats, not heavy enough for runs though) Came out looking really good.

- Now I'll have to paint the car to match

Amazon Green Metallic Clearcoat SU/M6922

???? is this Tropic Green? or do they just not have Tropic Green any more?

FWIR Tropical green is Amazon green, it was just called something different for the SVT's BTW Duplicolor doesnt make a rattle can in T Green. :cry: If you didnt know and it might be cheaper to go to a paint shop to have it mixed rather than Paintscratch

TGreen FTW

I just did mine today, used 120 grit, then 320 to smoothen it out. The chrome was still on but scuffed really good, but I used the duplicolor in a spray can (three coats for even coverage) then I cleared it over (two heavy coats, not heavy enough for runs though) Came out looking really good.

- Now I'll have to paint the car to match

LOL thats what im trying to avoid! But i think Duplicolor (code: T100) is the right black for the job anyways.

- Amyn

FWIR Tropical green is Amazon green, it was just called something different for the SVT's BTW Duplicolor doesnt make a rattle can in T Green. :cry: If you didnt know and it might be cheaper to go to a paint shop to have it mixed rather than Paintscratch

TGreen FTW

too bad...i could use some of that too...

o...and if you ever consider selling your wheels, PM me, i want them :D

If you don't strip the chrome with Muriatic Acid (Swimming Pool Acid) first the paint will chip like crap really fast.

Not true. Mine went a year without chipping. It was the rock salt that also chipped the crap out of my bumper that finally did it in. But even then it wasn't bad. I'm telling you, scuff the chrome and use adhesion promoter before the primer. it makes all the difference.

Back