• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Contour 1997 - 2.5L Duratech - Waterpump replacement advice?

pajacobsen

New CEG'er
Hello All,

I have a 1997 Contour (2.5L - Duratech). I have just rounded 55K miles and was wondering if it would be time to change the water pump. I heard that they tend to fail at around 50K.

Any advice or feedback? If it is recommended, is it a DOIY project or a shop project (if a shop project, what is a reasonable cost?)

Thanks,

Per

15 minutes for an experienced person even on a hot engine.

First time?

35 minutes maybe? DO NOT PAY SOMEONE FOR THIS..

If you can change your air filter, you can do this.
Look in the Duratec Maintenance forum, in the "duratec maintenance - read first" thread

Mine blew up at 38k miles. I then changed the pump out on Tour #2 which had 25K miles on it at that time and the plastic has cracks in it where it goes on the steel shaft. My wife doesn't wind her engine out like I do so it probably would have lasted longer. Some folks have problems with their engines running hotter than normal. The impellor slipping on the steel shaft is one of the causes. A buddy of mine with a V6 Mystique had overheating problems. He removed the waterpump and saw nothing wrong with it. I told him to hold the pulley and try to turn the impellor - it turned on the shaft so out it went.

Flush the radiator regularly. The aluminum engine causes the coolant to turn acidic and eat seals and gaskets in the pump. I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I'd agree with flushing, but with AS big of a problem as it was in the 95-97, early 98 years, I'd change it regardless of whether or not it was broken.

takes no time at all..
and the alternative is NOT CHEAP

Hi,
Wow, I must be REAL lucky then.
Have never had any overheating issues at all. The original water pump is still in there. Now, mind u, the radiator has been cleared out / flushed at least 3 times since I bought it (build date was 8/96) so THAT could be my saving grace.
Gerry

P.S. Noticed the two fronts were wearing unevenly. The 'insides' were wearing faster than the 'outsides'. Off to pepboyz -- $70 and 20 minutes later -- reset to factory alignment specs. Thankyou!

Last edited:
Hi,
Wow, I must be REAL lucky then.
Have never had any overheating issues at all. The original water pump is still in there.

Do you rev the engine to 6000 or > rpm regularly? If not maybe it can survive this long. Mine went @ 61k as I was running hard thru the gears.
Just keep an eye on the gauge.

Hi,
Nope, don't 'vigorously rev' the engine 'cept MAYBE when I need to punch her getting off an on-ramp and merging with traffic - - and THAT happens very infrequently.
The Contour is mainly the wife's car (shopping etc.) and is driven / has been driven 'lightly' ...if you get my drift.
Gerry

Back