• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HID kit $205 shipped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered.
Now waiting for it impatiently.

Hehe - after I buy a Beretta CX4-Storm, extra mags, ammo die, some brass, picatinny rails, and a red dot this month I'll be ordering up these - I love having bright lights

and extreme target shooting :laugh:

I was told by the guy at my local body shop that most HID kits wind up running too hot and melt anything plastic inside the assembly.

Is this the case or just an overly cautious person?

I was told by the guy at my local body shop that most HID kits wind up running too hot and melt anything plastic inside the assembly.

they actually run cooler than your standard halogen bulb. i drove around for several hours with mine on one night. afterwards i touched the assembly and it still felt cold. any halogen bulb would make the lens at least warm to the touch if not hot.

My top 5 things that I like about the kit (vs Halagons):

5) Takes more abuse (read: vibration)
4) The near pure white of the 4300k it hot
3) Cost... and replacement bulbs are cheaper than SilverStars
2) Much more light on the road

and finally...
1) They do not flicker or dim when coming to a stop!!

With all the guys running HID's on here for years, no one has mentioned anything about that :rolleyes:

1) They do not flicker or dim when coming to a stop!!
My car idles a little high (1000-1100) so they've never done that :blackeye: Wonder if that's a bad thing :laugh:

Woot Woot... I just got mine in the mail. I hope I can make time this weekend to put them in. I'm excited. I got the 8K's and I'll make sure I post up before and after pics so everyone can see. I think I've only seen the 6K and 5K posted up so far.

Received! Very promising look! Happy... :cool:

OK, quick question:

For the realy harness, I need to connect the + and - to the battery, or only the + to the battery, and the - to the car body for ground?

And, attach the female plug to ONE original lamp connector right?

I also found 2 metal brackets to hold the ballasts. But they are a little loose, so should I use some 3M tape to secure them in the brackets so they don't vibrate? Also, the brackets should be secured and screwed onto the body right?

Thanks in advance for the answers. I will be installing them on my wife's van this evening!

4300K kit installed!

4300K kit installed!

Update --

I took me almost 3 hours to get them installed. The wiring part maybe 10 minutes. It's the location of the ballast and bracket that made me think and rethink before I took out the drill and put holes on the fender inner walls.

I have the before and after pictures. It's my wife's mini van. The van hasn't moved during the installation process. It's inside my garage, and the distance between the headlamps and the wall was like 3 yards. So in this short distance it's difficult to see the light difference.

The first 2 are the OEM lights, and the last 2 are with the 4300K HID kit:

100_1418_resize.jpg

100_1419_resize.jpg

100_1421_resize.jpg

100_1422_resize.jpg

I have yet driven it out and see the difference. But while the OEM is somewhat yellowish, the 4300K kit is pure white. I was debating either 4300K or 5000K to get but opt for the 4300K for its slightly brighter light. The OEM were Savanah, I think they are not the silverstars because I bought the silverstars before, and they have blue tips. The OEMs have brown tips.

One thing I did find though -- if the headlight (low beam) is not on, then flashing will turn both high and low beam on and I believe that's bad. I will need to tell my wife that don't flash during the day time. Also, at this short distance to the wall, both high and low beam overlap. I need to see tomorrow if I need to aim the low beam slightly down.

Just curious on how you guys mounted the ballast in front of the coolant reservoir? Any pics? And SVT3391, did you end up using the 3m tape to make it snug?

This is how I have had my ballast mounted for a while now. OEM Philips slim balast FTMFW! :D

IMG_1175.jpg

Last edited:
Thats pretty much where I mounted it. It looks amazing!! Definately among my top 5 mods I've done. :cool: Got the 5k for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back