• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3rd gear Studder

SVTPHAT

CEG'er
When i'm just eas'n through thrid my car studders about half way through the gear then clears back out. no other gear does this, so i'm kinda scared, and wish it would just be a plugs and wires sort of deal. any ideas?

My car does this too. It kinda hesitates in third as I accelerate through 2100-2500 rpms, almost like I pulled my foot off the gas a little bit and put it down again real quick in rapid succession. It's not really that jarring it's just a small shudder and then once you pass 2500rpm's it's gone and the car accelerates normally. Only happens in third gear, which is strange. It's been doing it for a while and it hasn't really gotten worse so I've just gotten used to it. One thing I have noticed is if you give it more gas, almost put the pedal to the floor, it doesn't happen as bad. The car doesn't really take off either like it does in 2nd or 4th when I bury the pedal in third at the 2000rpm mark either though. There's kind of a lag there even with pedal down and as it spins up past 2400-2500 rpms, then it the car will start accelerating quickly.
I'm thinking about doing the upper and lower intake manifold cleaning at some point, I'm thinking maybe that will help. I had to take my throttle body apart because the accelerator pedal was sticking a bit after the car sat over night, and when I saw the sticky brown gunk on the plate and inside the manifold, I realized that stuff has probably coated the inside of the whole intake and lower intake. It seemed weird that they should be that dirty though, especially with the air filter there. Made me wonder if it was the oil on the new K&N air filter that had gunked up in there, but I think it was sticky even before I put that new air filter in.

It would really, REALLY help if you would give us some basic vehicle information. Year, Make, Model, Engine, Transmission, etc.

On any car you may be describing a spark plug miss from worn or fouled plugs or from leaking (electrically) plug wires. If could be a slight lean miss from dirty injectors or lousy gas.

On an automatic trans car you could be describing torque convertor clutch chatter which is most evident right at the 3-4 shift, usually at light throttle.

Please tell us more and maybe we can help more.

It would really, REALLY help if you would give us some basic vehicle information. Year, Make, Model, Engine, Transmission, etc.

On any car you may be describing a spark plug miss from worn or fouled plugs or from leaking (electrically) plug wires. If could be a slight lean miss from dirty injectors or lousy gas.

On an automatic trans car you could be describing torque convertor clutch chatter which is most evident right at the 3-4 shift, usually at light throttle.

Please tell us more and maybe we can help more.

Well not sure about his car, but mine's a 2000 Ford Contour SVT. It has the 5 speed transmission and a 2.5 liter V6. I've replaced the plugs and wires on it about 15,000 miles ago. It's had a new fuel pump installed about 30,000 miles ago. Other than that, I've done the waterpump swap for the metal impeller pump and put a K&N air filter on it.
The dirty injectors could be a possibility. I guess I can try some injector cleaner. I always thought that stuff was pretty much snake oil though. I always run the 93 octane in it but I could have gotten a band tank of gas. I'd think if it was an injector issue I'd get it in every gear, not just third. It's not like it's super annoying, but I figured if this fellow was having it too maybe it was a common issue. I'll try some injector cleaner and report back.

Car doesnt' do it as bad anymore now that I changed my Plugs and wires. Which I also hope I don't have to do again anytime soon!

Car doesnt' do it as bad anymore now that I changed my Plugs and wires. Which I also hope I don't have to do again anytime soon!

Yeah changing the plugs was a pain in the butt. Of course I did it wrong. I actually removed the whole intake manifold, when all I really needed to do was take the coil pack out. I might take a look at the gap on my plugs and check the condition of them. Perhaps they've been running hot. I replaced the originals with the Motorcraft ones from BAT and gapped them accurately before putting them in.

My 2000 SVT has this exact same symptom - 3rd gear stutter. I changed the plugs and wires 5000 miles ago - which made things better for a short time but the problem creeped right back up. (maybe I just didn't notice it as bad because I wanted to see an acceleration difference when I installed the race wires - so I was on the gas a bit harder back then)

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
3rd gear stutter

3rd gear stutter

Bringing this message back from the dead. I am having the same problem. Stutter in 3rd gear under mild acceleration below 3k rpms. Exactly as the second poster stated. Did anyone ever find a definite cure for this?

Bringing this message back from the dead. I am having the same problem. Stutter in 3rd gear under mild acceleration below 3k rpms. Exactly as the second poster stated. Did anyone ever find a definite cure for this?
How many miles on the car? Have the spark plugs or wires been changed?

Yep something very similar on '95 V6 automatic mystique with only 26K mi on it, in the 2200 range most pronounced in 4th gear. Have done most things mentioned, waiting for new coil in mail before changing rear plugs/wires.

Actually I remember the car doing something slightly like that when it was new! (and belonged to a family member).

Mike

I'm having exactly the same issue - it doesn't really bother me at all, it's just a little awkward. I've cleaned my MAF as I thought that might be the issue, but the problem is still there, and only in third gear...

1999 CSVT with 80,000 miles...

wow old thread well i dont know if anyone other then just lowblack is havin the issue but i had something similar it was the fuel pump so deffinately give that some thought either get your pressure tested or just change it mine eventually just died.

Back