• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

? on mounting gauges

111R

Veteran CEG'er
i need to put in a couple/few more gauges for my turbo kit that that is comming soon. i bought a 3 gauge mounting bracket just to see if it would fit. i am waitting for anouther one that only holds 2. i just screwed in one side to see what it would look like while driving. i probably could read the gauges as easily as looking at the horrible clock on my radio. let me know if i should go ahead with this or not. thanks!

Picture127.jpg

Picture128.jpg

Picture132.jpg

I love these "I need to make room for a couple more gauges" threads. I'm not sure if you saw my thread or not but heres where I mounted mine.

DCFC0512.jpg

What gauges are you running? (boost, wideband, pyro, oil... ?)

As far as the mounting bracket goes. I think its sweet! The only thing I dont like is how the gauges will be exposed on the back side. It might look kind of messy.

thanks for the reply rawburt. i am glad you like my thread :) and yes i did see your mounting of gauges but i wanted something that i could actually see somewhat while driving. if i have a cup in the cup holder then how can i see the gauges behind them? i am trying with this set-up (or just the 2 gauge bracket) to be able to use one or the other cup holder.

i dont really care about the looks it can be messy. once i get it in and working then i can find a way to clean things up-- i take it this is my alternative to a pre98 console and a a-pillar pod.

i am installing water temp, oil temp, oil press, boost, pryo, probably a wideband, and possibly one other.

thanks for the reply rawburt. i am glad you like my thread :) and yes i did see your mounting of gauges but i wanted something that i could actually see somewhat while driving. if i have a cup in the cup holder then how can i see the gauges behind them? i am trying with this set-up (or just the 2 gauge bracket) to be able to use one or the other cup holder.

youre building a F*****g race car!! there's no ROOM for cup holders!! does the Lotus have cupholders?! :nonono:

how about i ditch my carpets, glass, and electric windows too?? :nonono::rolleyes:

i said i was trying to retain a cup holder idget... if i loose then woopdy-dooo

the cup holders suck anyways, worst cup holders ever.

I would try to make a flush holder that holds them at a angle where the cup holders are.

Honestly, I always wanted to install gauges in the one din compartment in my re-98 console in my old 99.

Hector did a good job on his old Zetec. It might be a little more than you want to do, but I paid about $40 for my entire console back then.

heres gotta be a cleaner way to do it. Maybe the din guage
holder, and one of those radio holder things for boats just to make it look cleaner....

Radio Box Single Din Gauge Holder

RadioBoxNewAngle.jpg
P107--gauges-close-b-1.jpg

Last edited:
Will you even be able to get a cup in under the gauges? I know that I have to tip cups sideways to get them under the dash. But like it was said above, build an enclosure to cover up wires/mounting hardware. Look at different diesel truck sites, they have three gauge pods that look similar that mount on top of the dash. Just put it upside down and there you have it.

bezel mounted gauges not working, or you're looking for more than that?

That shouldn't affect the cupholders, or atleast one, too much. I have a radio scanner mounted in the same spot and can fit every cup and only have to squeeze the big ones into it.
Why not get an a pillar gauge pod?

bezel mounted gauges not working, or you're looking for more than that?

still sitting in the garage. i hope once the turbo arrives the bezel can finally go in. just looking for more gauges now.

Why not get an a pillar gauge pod?

i wanted something slightly different.

You should mount the bezel straight. They sell little angle things that would point the gauges towards you.

yeah my spedo shop sells inserts for $15.xx for two angel things. i would mount the bracket straight except its too long to fit in the spot under the radio hole. i imagine the 2 gauge bracket will be able to angle the mounting bracket straight but might make the gauges slightly less visable at a glance but idk yet.

I like the mounting bracket -- additional instruments are cool.

I've always fancied putting three round gauges in the panel behind the cupholder, above the little bin that's next to the lighter. Having never pulled the console, I'm not aware of what kind of clearance exists back there. Anyone know if there's enough room to clear the backs of the gauges and attendant wiring? That location is easily visible from the driver's seat if you sit with the seat toward the back of its travel. As an added bonus, there would be no cupholder interference.

why not just get an a pillar gauge pod?

looks ghetto like that.

because as i said earlier i wanted something different. thanks for the input, i have always thought a-pillar pod's looked horribly ghetto but to each his own.

Do A-Pillar, change holder, and cluster bezel, that's 6 gauges all easily seen and read at a glance. Maybe even more if you do a gauge setup like pud did, that'd add three more.

i guess i;ll wait till this other part arrives before i buy a a-pillar pod. i already have a 4 gauge bezel made by alex if thats what you are talking about.

thanks all

www.aimsports.com

No gauges necessary.

^^^ this is true. soooo niiiiiice. but a tad pricy :blackeye: if and when i decide to get a shifter kart i want something like that

and 281Thunder, i am one of a select few who do not like the a-pillar pods. granted looks are not important to me, i always thought they looked bulky and tacky (not to mention its hard for me to walk around my neiborhood without seeing them on all types of vehicles). also if i only want to add two more gauges i would have to fill in the last hole with something. finally, i wanted something different. possibly with my existing pod i am asking too much.

-a

Last edited:
Back