• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car turning off when idling

Porgieanne316

Be Gentle I'm New Here
hey all my 98 contour SE ATX is acting up ... again lol well when i am at a light and the car is idling it will go below 1000 rmpos to half and then turn off... unless i hold the brake a rev it up the car will not stay on... does anyone have any ideas as to what cna be the problem... i had gas in the car .. bout half a tank

how many miles? Any Check engine light?

Sounds like classic symptoms of the IAC valve requireing replacement or cleaning.

Try removing the throttle body and seeing if there is any carbon build up clogging the idle air passages. Same sort of thing would happen to me with my MTX. After I cleaned mine, it never happened again.

Try removing the throttle body and seeing if there is any carbon build up clogging the idle air passages. Same sort of thing would happen to me with my MTX. After I cleaned mine, it never happened again.

Does anyone have more detailed instructions for this??? Pics maybe? Is it easy to do.

Thanks,

Does anyone have more detailed instructions for this??? Pics maybe? Is it easy to do.

Thanks,

only applies if you have a duratec .... and it is easy to do ...

and can be seen in the UIM/LIM rebuild how-to, in the duratec maintenance sticky.

Back