• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Letting others drive your Contour....

plance1

CEG'er
Cincinnati, OH and its step-child, Northern Kentuc
It makes me nervous. I don't like it. I have my SVT in for service. I called down them and they said the mechanic was road testing it. I said, well, I hope he comes back. I wonder if he is enjoying himself at my car's expense.

I don't like people driving my car. Am I alone? I doubt it. Typically, I hit the trip so I can monitor it but I forgot to do it. Dang it.

I was thinking about lettting a few people who want to buy it drive it. But what if they wreck it? Is it unheard of to make them sign some sort of "You buy it you wreck it" paper????

plance1 said:
Letting others drive your Contour....

That's a negative with a rare few exceptions!

My brother can drive it and mechanics doing something requiring them to do a drive test (but only if they can assure me they're qualified).

My wife won't even drive my Contour (unless I'm with her...). Reason? Stage III clutch and a short shifter...

I have a bet with people that I'll give them $1 if they don't stall it on the first try...

plance1 said:
I was thinking about lettting a few people who want to buy it drive it. But what if they wreck it?

Easy fix... never let anyone test drive it without you in the car. If they don't like the idea, tell them to take a hike!

Last edited:
That just doesn't happen. :nonono:
I don't even like people near my car let alone letting someone else drive it.

When the Exploder goes in for service, I always write the actual mileage down, I never hit the "trip".

The SVT is never out of my site when someone is working on it. It's only ever been to two places, one to get the subframe connectors welded on and the other to get the exhaust changed.

For the rest of the repairs, they're done at my house or another CEG'ers place. I have to say, just so those guys know, I trust them to work on my car. :)

no one drives my girls but me and her most the time me.. and like luca said i do all my own work or fellow CEGers i had it at the shop 1 time and the STUPID people could not even get it in reverse . no one seems to know how to get the car to start when the battery is disconnested since i got a safc.. i have heard from ford there is something wrong with your car, it will not idle at all..do you want us to look at this? i got in pushd a few buttons and wow it ran fine lol only time it was at ford..

Tell me about it
I just my car back today from my aunt there a black-spot my right-side front passinger door..like someone tried to paint over something, but used too much paint so it looks crappy.

from what she told me...some kids keyed my car door saturday night & she "tried" to fix-it ranther an tell me ( gee thanks )

I've sanded it down...so it's not too back...it'll hold untill i get her repainted after SZ

so take this as a leason...never let family drive your car.

I was, and possibly still am, the only other person to drive goonz's car, and now it's a tradition haha

i didn't like people driving mine.

you are prolly the only person to drive my car from CEG..I dont let people drive my car, its just how I am

I've let people drive my cars before. The mystique has been driven by my Mom, dad, sister (who crashed it into a barbwire fence) and a friend of mine.

I'm a little more protective of the SVT though, my fathers driven it, and my sister on one occasion when I needed to borrow her truck. Really makes me nervous when she drives it.

True story: Until recently, I worked weekends at a place near the airport that valets cars for usually wealthy clients. It seems some of the young punks that worked there enjoyed taking customer cars out. Well, only two things could happen, they could either wreck (and if they dont hit anyone else Im sure they would have put the car back where it was and try to blame someone else) or they would just get caught. Which do you think occurred? They didnt wreck but they did get caught. Seems as if they were at some questionable club with some dude's escalade and left some kind of evidence in the vehicle. The guy's wife found it (not a condom or anything, just a parking stub) and thought it was him. So apparently, he called all irate and claimed he had installed a camera on his car to record who was driving and where. I dont know about that but the good news is the idiots who were doing this got fired. Had I known about it, I would have turned them in myself.

just went to body shop to check on mine today .the guy told me he drove it home last nite. FREAKED OUT almost killed the guy litterally. no one ever drives her !!!!! police had to come .....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

i let my friends and only my friends who drive stick drive it.

1 owns a cobaly ss sc so hes good and the other a 200sx and drives it like a baby.

neither beat it but im always in the car.

My one friend at worked asked to drive it and i said hell no. A customer walked by and kept telling me to tell him no and then mumbled some other stuff. I think he was drunk... but i didnt give my keys to my friend thats for sure. The only people who drive my car are my parents and my brother. Havent had to take it to the shop yet so no mechanics have driven it since i have owned it.

May not have a SVT but no one drives the Mystique but mechanics and my g/f and/or my parents (used to when I lived at home). My g/f knows better to be careful with it she knows it's my baby (other then her) :)
I still remember the day I actually let the g/f drive her, she had so much fun. She babied it I kept naggin her to get on the gas, when she finally did she had a big grin on her face.

Back