• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The snow is on it's way!

LUCA

Boomstick\Owner
Admin
Finally!

From weather.com:
"THE TWO SYSTEMS WILL BRING SNOW TO BERKS COUNTY, THE LEHIGH VALLEY, THE POCONOS AND NORTHWESTERN NEW JERSEY BEGINNING LATE ON TUESDAY AND CONTINUING INTO WEDNESDAY. THE SNOW IS EXPECTED TO MIX WITH OR CHANGE TO SLEET FOR A TIME FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY. TOTAL SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS MAY EXCEED SIX INCHES. AS A RESULT, THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH THAT IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING."

The local station is saying 4 to 8 for the Lehigh Valley and Berks County.

You all know where I'll be tomorrow morning, trying out the new snow tires. :D Yippee!

For Waymart:
"BY THE TIME THE SNOW ENDS WEDNESDAY NIGHT... 10 TO 15 INCHES OF SNOW ACCUMULATION IS POSSIBLE."

It seems that Mexico, NY is still getting blasted. :( They are getting about 6 inches more today and another foot from the storm that will come tomorrow night into Wed. I think they've had enough now.

Be safe out there!

hmmm ... maybe its time to finally go out and get a small shovel to keep in the car to dig it out ... but most likely not ... just about every time they say it will be bad it isn't

The shovel might be a good idea:
TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS ARE PROJECTED TO BE HIGHEST ALONG THE EAST SLOPES OF THE BERKSHIRES AND MONADNOCKS...WHERE AS MUCH AS 8 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW COULD FALL. TOTALS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES ARE EXPECTED IN CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST MASSACHUSETTS...WITH 4 TO 7 INCHES OF SNOW ACROSS NORTHERN CONNECTICUT...NORTHWEST RHODE ISLAND AND THE BOSTON METRO AREA.

I'm a weather.com junkie. :D

eh, 4 inches doesn't bother me ... just kick the snow out of the way or use the snow brush again and just go for it, got to love traction control and snow tires :drool:

well, it looks like i should have tuned up the snow blower when i had the warmer weather....oops.

I knew it, I knew someone would comment on that. :laugh:

I have a question for those of you that run snows. I was driving the other day and when I started out at a light, the tires squealed and I got send a bit sideways. I wasn't trying to take out the Vibe at the light or anything :shrug: , just started out pretty normal. What's up with that?

Steph got hers put on this morning and a car cut her off, she swerved and the car launched and went sideways a bit. :confused:

Maybe I don't like this snow tire stuff. My Conti-Extremes rocked in the snow.

Any suggestions? I'm a newb at this dedicated snow tire thing. TIA!

yes the snow tires will not have anywhere the same type of grip as a summer tire or an all season ... actually i really dislike them in the rain ... yes they are easier to chirp ... have to remember they have a fairly soft sidewall ... mine seem to perform pretty decent in dry weather, not that the zetec can over power them but ...

I guess we just need to get used to them. I think mine have all of 10 miles on them so far.
Thanks for the help.

im gonna agree with LUCA i love my conti extremes. i found they work really good when i was doing the uphill takeoff on snow packed roads. but theyll still drift around corners when the correct drivers inputs are used...hehe

I kinda wish I had just got another set of the Conti's. I took them out in some deep snow and they didn't disappoint at all! Plus, there were no issues with squealing tires or worrying about driving in the rain.

We'll see tomorrow morning just how well/different the snows handle.

I kinda wish I had just got another set of the Conti's. I took them out in some deep snow and they didn't disappoint at all! Plus, there were no issues with squealing tires or worrying about driving in the rain.

We'll see tomorrow morning just how well/different the snows handle.

I'm pretty sure once you get into some snow with the snow tires you will understand how good they are ...

snow tires are meant for one thing...snow.

on dry pavement they can suck, on sandy pavement they suck.
they are usually a harder compound than summer/performance tires.
plus having all the huge blocky lugs for tread doesnt allow for good traction on dry.

my crown vic with snows on the back acts like its on ice when it dry out.

I know they are for snow but, maybe I I should have stuck to what has worked very well for me in the past, my Conti-Extremes.

I figured I'd ask for suggestions since I'm a snow tire virgin. ;)

Last edited:
Sorry Glenn. I wish we were getting that much.
Want my snows? :)

Don't worry , Christine ... you'll LOVE the snow tires in the snow . They REALLY work . They have a silica compound on the first (?) 50% of the tread , which makes them REALLY soft , which is perfect for the snow . It also means , unfortunately , that you sacrifice performance handling . The car will feel a bit more "squishy" ... it's just because the tires are so soft . You'll get used to that - you just need to rack a few more miles on them , for the experience . Once you see how well they work in the snow , you'll see why they are the shiznit :cool: . They're totally worth the handling trade-off for the peace of mind in the snow ... if we ever friggin' GET any :help: .

Guess it takes some getting used to. I'll let ya know what I think Wed. morning after I go out and play. I'm hitting the streets before our lame street crew plows our road.

Thanks everyone.

let me kno how they do i like my off brands but i might need a set sumtime when i get new wheels. plus if i keep laying rubber ill need new ones anyway. quick q bought the car used how would i kno if i have an lsd or not?? just wondering becuase i havent broken the diff yet i think. although it pulls really hard to one side when i really hammer down. sorry bout the thread jack

I had Conti-Extereme's and didn't like them at all. I put them on after driveing an FSVT with them. For whatever reason, I couldn't get them to hook up in the dry or wet. I went to BFG Traction T/A's and have been very happy.

Back