• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

PRT Mirko Skidplate GB *interest check*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be marking the grid on my template tonight so i can start making my CAD model.

I'll try to get some pics up, I've been super busy these last two weeks.

I think I'm going to have to back out of this folks. I have had some recent developments & this is no longer at the top of the list. Maybe if it takes a while to get done I'll jump back in but Right now I can't.

Sorry guys, I've gotten a little behind on this with otehr work I've had to get done, but I'm back on it. I took some pictures of the wood template last night as well as pictures of the type of damage this is being designed to prevent. I should have them up tonight and hopefully a cad model ready mid next week.

Thanks for being patient!

~Josh

Template; I've since marked it with the grid to gather dimensional data for the CAD model. The back section of the skid plate will follow just inside the black line, the straight edge is only there for gathering dimensions:

101_3664.jpg

The Splitter's purpose for those that are wondering is to prevent this type of damage:

101_3665.jpg

101_3667.jpg

while the skid plate will prevent scratches underneath, its not going to prevent pitting which is the worst that happens to the mirko and is visible to others..wish there was something i could do about that..

looking good though josh

while the skid plate will prevent scratches underneath, its not going to prevent pitting which is the worst that happens to the mirko and is visible to others..wish there was something i could do about that..

looking good though josh

maybe some 3M clear bra tape would work.

thats nothing for scratches, I mean, I wish thats how bad mine looked. but hopefully this will help.

I haven't had mine on very long and i drive very cautiously with it on. It's worse than it looks.

looking good though josh

A more durrable paint finish is the only thing that's going to help that. A good strong base coat and several layers of clear.

yeah, I try to be as careful as possible, but we have really crappy driveways around here. I molded mine when I got it 2 years ago, and I had to shave it all down about 1/2 an inch so it didn't look like it was a bunch of shark teeth. hopefully this will help with some of that

CAD model is 90% finished.....I've got to make a couple prints and fine-tune it yet, but it's looking great so far.

great idea josh..... (grumble grumble) I was thinking about this product you are making. I have a plate made with 1/16" alluminum. I rarely drive my car but it does scrape everytime I leave or enter the driveway. I have worn through mine already and have put less that 200 scrapes on it probably. I know you are trying to make it light with the alluminum but I think this is the wrong way to go and I have a cheaper stronger solution. This might perk up some people's interest.

1. 1/16" stainless steel cut to same dimentions
2. Cheaper (possibly) stainless is pricy but raw steel would be cheap
3. Stonger
4. Roughly the same weight
5. Powdercoat would be the same price

I think most of these guys/girls are looking for STRONG, CHEAP, RELIABLE, NOT TOO HEAVY, and something you can throw some paint on. Most people should just get a color match spray can of paint for their personal skid plate as you will be touching these up more often that you think. Powdercoat has no strength against concrete....

what do you think? am I just being retarded?

1. 1/16" stainless steel cut to same dimentions

Price hike would be tremendous for stainless.

2. Cheaper (possibly) stainless is pricy but raw steel would be cheap

I don't want a rusty skid plate...

3. Stonger

What alloy is your 1/16" sheet? You bent the front edge of the AL around the lip of your mirko correct? I have to believe that your's is made of something thinner than 16 ga. and softer than 6061 since it was that easy to bend

4. Roughly the same weight

.125" 6061 sheet: 1.764 lb/sq. ft.

14 ga steel (.0747"): 3.094 lb/sq. ft.

That's nearly twice the weight.

I have not been able to plot my cad renderings...i'm hoping to have them printed monday at the latest. I am still working on these, it's just taking more time than anticipated.

I hope this turns out well, unfortunately I will not be able to participate in it anymore. While worrying about my radiator hose leaking more and seizing the engine I went through a road construction zone and wasn't able to stop in time. I ended up ripping the splitter off the bumper(which was molded on) and was then run over by the car. It was in about 3 pieces :(

Yikes! That would be a horrible, horrible day..... sorry to hear about it. makes me kinda sick to my stomach :-Q

Just quick update. I thoroughly apologize for the wait on these but things are beyond hectic around here. I'm moving in three weeks, have three cars to get build for SZ, and i'm spending every minute i can on these. I've got the initial cad model drawn and plotted, and i've hit my first snag, the Splitter isn't symmetrical, meaning i have to take another set of measurements to correctly draw the drivers side half of the splitter. I wish i could give you a solid date, but unfortunately i cannot.

thank you for your patience,

~Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back