• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

another Spec Stage 3+ failure

BrApple

No Life But CEG
here are some pictures that I took of the clutch, etc. I got lucky and the pp and flywheel where not damaged. I wonder how long some of the springs have been free and for a long time, from time to time I would get a grinding like noise on clutch engagement and sometime the clutch would grab really fast, or lower then normal. I have also had a squeaking type noise for a long time, I figured it was the tob but it seemed ok when I checked it.

DSC05303.jpg

DSC05304.jpg

DSC05305.jpg

DSC05309.jpg

DSC05313.jpg

DSC05324.jpg

DSC05315.jpg

DSC05301.jpg

Last edited:
pretty...... perhaps spec clutches have problems with the friction discs.... will they give you a new one? what about a new disc from clutchnet.com?

Good luck major bummer

pretty...... perhaps spec clutches have problems with the friction discs.... will they give you a new one? what about a new disc from clutchnet.com?

Good luck major bummer

just got it out tonight so I still have to call and find out. but the spring retension design is crap. if I put another one in its going to fail the same way.

which is why I was suggesting a clutch disc from clutchnet.com as I thought you might be able to get a comparable disc with out the flaw and keep your spec pressure plate..... good luck though... I've had no problem with my spec stage 2 *knock on wood*

I wonder how long some of the springs have been free and for a long time, from time to time I would get a grinding like noise on clutch engagement and sometime the clutch would grab really fast, or lower then normal. I have also had a squeaking type noise for a long time, I figured it was the tob but it seemed ok when I checked it.

Crap I have the same issues with my 3+ and it hasn't even turned a thousand miles yet. I really don't want this to happen to my clutch.

:) call clutchnet ask them for:

RED disc.

6 puck, ceramic metallic, closed window, sprung hub. tell them to use huge rivets too. 168 bucks +shipping for the disc.

aw man, that's what was going on with your clutch..... :censored::censored::censored::censored:! Atleast you have it figured out now, but spec is really starting to piss me off with these failures :nonono:.

aw man, that's what was going on with your clutch..... :censored::censored::censored::censored:! Atleast you have it figured out now, but spec is really starting to piss me off with these failures :nonono:.

yup that was the problem. from what my father and I can figure when I bleed the clutch I got 100% movement from the tob. this was enough to clear the springs and allow the clutch to work correctly. the rest of the time the popped springs kept the clutch from releasing completely so that I could shift.

Damn this sucks :( Ill start saving for another clutch and some labor. I got the same noises and such that Brian had so I think its only a matter of time.

I also have the same problems with mine. I plan on swapping it sooner or later. Preferably before it wrecks my findaza :eek:

That is why I ordered the complete clutch kit AND the flywheel from steve. I have a feeling it broke some of the teeth on the flywheel. I thought the starter was going, so I replaced it cause it would only spin in place and not enguage. Still spins some times. :nonono:

Well great, I'm not going to worry about it. If it takes out my flywheel with the clutch, I'll just buy a new one.... :crazy:

Remember, when I called Steve, he said there was only 2 SVT flywheels left out there.

Yeah - and I'm running a much lighter Fidanza flywheel and never have any intention of ever buying a SVT flywheel. I can't see the pictures, but I'm not sure it would kill the Fidanza flywheel - the steel insert is replaceable(and cheep!)

anyone remember the weight difference between a reg and svt flywheel? The sad part is my car has a lightened svt flywheel. :cry:

Back