• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Remoted the CSVT's oil filter

gmorrell

Hard-core CEG'er
Sort of says something that I have to own this car for over eight years before I get around to modifying anything, but seeing as how I already have two open track cars that are high-maintenance upholstered bricks, sometimes it takes awhile to get to doing one-off stuff to the daily driver.

Installed a remote oil filter at the last oil change. Used a simple adapter at the oil filter location and a Mocal remote adapter for a large FL1-A style 3/4"-16 thread filter. The filter is mounted vertically on the driver's side frame rail under the battery, so it screws off without making a mess, and I don't have to drop the forward undertray to access the filter anymore.
-10 (5/8" I.D.) Aeroquip SS braided lines and good, smooth, high-flow AN fittings were used everywhere.

Here's the takeoff on the block.
DSC00220.jpg

Here's the filter from underneath.
DSC00221.jpg

Here's the filter adapter from up top. There's a temp sender for the oil temp gauge, and the plug on top is for a pressure sensor when it arrives. Should have gotten the filter adapter that had the ports rotated another 90º, but it wasn't in stock at the time. Had a chunk of 3/8" angle in the metal scrap bin that served as a good mounting bracket.
DSC00216.jpg

The next project is to install the 3-gauge A-pillar pod that I bought in a CEG group buy from LoTek back in (cough, cough...) February 2001.

Gary M.

Last edited:
Lookin' good!

I wouldn't mind doing this to my SVT. Although, I actually think the SVT's are easier to do than the non-SVT's. Only because the oil cooler brings the filter down further. I mean sure, I still spill a little bit but not too bad.

thats where I originally wanted to put mine but I mounted an oil separator there so I didn't have room and mounted mine behind the bumper on the driver side.

Sort of says something that I have to own this car for over eight years before I get around to modifying anything, but seeing as how I already have two open track cars that are high-maintenance upholstered bricks, sometimes it takes awhile to get to doing one-off stuff to the daily driver.

Installed a remote oil filter at the last oil change. Used a simple adapter at the oil filter location and a Mocal remote adapter for a large FL1-A style 3/4"-16 thread filter. The filter is mounted vertically on the driver's side frame rail under the battery, so it screws off without making a mess, and I don't have to drop the forward undertray to access the filter anymore.
-10 (5/8" I.D.) Aeroquip SS braided lines and good, smooth, high-flow AN fittings were used everywhere.

Here's the takeoff on the block.
attachment.php

Here's the filter from underneath.
attachment.php

Here's the filter adapter from up top. There's a temp sender for the oil temp gauge, and the plug on top is for a pressure sensor when it arrives. Should have gotten the filter adapter that had the ports rotated another 90º, but it wasn't in stock at the time. Had a chunk of 3/8" angle in the metal scrap bin that served as a good mounting bracket.
attachment.php

The next project is to install the 3-gauge A-pillar pod that I bought in a CEG group buy from LoTek back in (cough, cough...) February 2001.

Gary M.

That's a sharp setup. Should cut down on the mess nicely. You're Gary Morell of SHO fame, no?

That's a sharp setup. Should cut down on the mess nicely. You're Gary Morrell of SHO fame, no?
Thanks.

Yep, that's me, also of Mustang SVO fame, long-suffering SVT Contour owner - I collect Ford's red-headed stepchildren. :laugh:

Thanks.

Yep, that's me, also of Mustang SVO fame, long-suffering SVT Contour owner - I collect Ford's red-headed stepchildren. :laugh:

Sounds like you're ready for a 1987 all-wheel drive Tempo and a 1980 Fairmont Futura turbo. Should pretty much round out the list. :laugh:

Sounds like you're ready for a 1987 all-wheel drive Tempo and a 1980 Fairmont Futura turbo. Should pretty much round out the list. :laugh:
Don't see Tempo's too often anymore - I'd always thought that Elmer Fudd would drive a Tempo. ("Kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit...")

Urk; the Fairmont - a car from Ford's Dark Period.

Could've been worse. They sold 461,000 in debut '78 (though none of those had the not-quite-done-yet downdraft turbo). I actually have a dealer sign for a '79 (with "exterior decor package," no less) in my home office, among lots of other Ford memorabilia.

new pics of my relocation. Had to move it from the drivers side so that the turbo piping and air filter will fit.

DSC04511.JPG

DSC04532.JPG

DSC04533.JPG

DSC04535.JPG

looks good BrApple. Glad you were able to get it all worked out and installed.

Here are some pictures of my relocation. I used all Earl's products (filter mount, block adapter, -10 fittings and -10 hose).

Brapple! sweet! that is where I planned to put it too... Unfortunately I need to gut out the reservoir there to fit the sensors ive got. :cry:. Looks good tho!

Brapple! sweet! that is where I planned to put it too... Unfortunately I need to gut out the reservoir there to fit the sensors ive got. :cry:. Looks good tho!

that would work better. I was using a FL-1A but because of the raised areas in the frame I couldn't but the filter moutn up higher and it contacted the fog lamp. The FL-300 just touches it so I will have to adjust because it is changing the aim of the fog lamp.

I also went with Earls products and everything went together very nicely and easily concidering my father and I have never made up lines like these. I used 45 degree fitting at the block and 90 degree fittings on the filter. We got info and watch videos on the internet, use plenty of oil and some antiseize to keep from galling the threads up and to make the hose easier to install into the swivle seal fittings.

I purchased everything (block adapter, filter mount, hoses and fittings) from ANPlumbing.com

They also have a how-to section that shows how to cut the hose and install the hose into the fittings. Great if you've never worked with these.

BATInc.net is a good resource for Mocal oil filter adapters, oil filter take-offs, sandwich plates, oil coolers, and BSP (British Standard Pipe) to AN adapters, also hose and hose ends. Mocal stuff uses BSP threads, and you really need to use proper straight thread BSP fittings and Dowty seals with Mocal parts. NPT tapered pipe fittings will often thread into BSP ports, but you'll frequently have leaks, and the NPT tapered stem can crack the BSP female fitting.

ANPlumbing.com is also a good resource for fittings, hose ends, adapters of all sorts and flavors, and hose; SS braided and otherwise.

Racer Parts Wholesale and Pegasus Auto Racing are also good sources for hose, hose-ends, adapters and fittings.

FWIW, I do not like Earls-cutter style hose ends for SS braided hose, I have had poor results and leaks, where-as I have never had a leak or failure with Aeroquip compression style hose ends. I'm not new to this stuff - I've been building oiling systems, transmission cooling, differential cooling, and power steering systems for race cars for about 10 years now, and everytime I use cutter-style hose ends, I end up re-doing every third hose end to fix leaks.

Earls swivel fittings are also odd in that the fitting stem tube swivels on the inside surface of the hose. This is just plain odd and IMO, is a recipe for an eventual leak. Well designed swivel fittings use machined surfaces and O-rings for the swivel.

Also be aware that there are a lot of Chinese-made, cheap-ass hose ends coming in the country now. The alloys are low-grade, the fittings are soft and sometimes fracture during assembly, and they often don't seal well. This is another reason I stick with Aeroquip.

Gary M.

Back