• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Quaife NO Bearings?

is it true I need the zetec speedo gear? I have read that in several places but it went on with just as much force as it came off of the old one...i cant see why it would need changed

well, its not the taking it all apart thats an issue for me, but the fact of having all the correct parts on hand ahead of time so there isn't a shipping delay issue with the functionality of the car.

i don't mean to be a jerk... but you couldnt do a COP swap correctly bro. do you really wanna embarass yourself and waste a ton of money doing this yourself? i mean..... i did mine myself... but i know people..........lots of people, who made sure i did it right.

I didn't even do a cop swap, all I did was splice in the taurus coilpack, and like a retard, I didn't even have a taurus wiring diagram. that little problem was the result of about all of 2 hrs of research and the input of a person that didn't really want my build to work anyway.

I tend to have better luck with mechanical things than electrical things anyway. I do think I'll be purchasing a second MTX to do the swap on though, that way my car isn't down for decades of lazyiness and procrastination.

It'll also allow me plenty of time to do a good job rather than half-arsed & in-a-hurry because I need the car to work.

a lot of the ghetto on my car is from being under major time constraints.

then again if somebody feels generous, I'd be more than happy to ship them the parts so they could do it for me, :)

I hate that this keeps on being brought up about what you did/didn't do right in your build Kaos. Atleast you tried it on your own. Mis-guided, sure. I don't put anyone down for trying something new on their own. Should you have done more research and followed the suggestions of other CEG'rs, sure. Live and learn but how about everyone stop bringing it up. :shrug:

thanks joe, thats what I'm saying. nobody would be here where we are with our cars today if people hadn't failed a lot before them.

the main thing I learned is to get lots of different advice and weigh it all out based on where it came from.

is it true I need the zetec speedo gear? I have read that in several places but it went on with just as much force as it came off of the old one...i cant see why it would need changed

Yes, you need a zetec speedo gear. The Quaife was made for the Focus and it happens to work in our trans but you need the zetec speedo gear which is used in the Focus and 4cyl Contours. I beleive it was discontinued but I think BAT is selling them.

Yes, you need a zetec speedo gear. The Quaife was made for the Focus and it happens to work in our trans but you need the zetec speedo gear which is used in the Focus and 4cyl Contours. I beleive it was discontinued but I think BAT is selling them.

An MTX-75 speedo gear is an MTX-75 speedo gear. They did not change between Zetec and Duratec. This is false information that's been floating around the forums for years.

An MTX-75 speedo gear is an MTX-75 speedo gear. They did not change between Zetec and Duratec. This is false information that's been floating around the forums for years.

The only difference between the two transmissions is the bellhousing and the final drive, correct? Everything else is the same?

shes all back together runs like a beast now gotta break in the new clutch :) was so easy. If I could share this website I have access to I would! so much info its insane

if u are useing ur original ring gear of the diff the final drive will not chnage even if u change ur final drive with a final drive kit that comes with an output shaft and a new ring gear for the diff ur cv shaft are still doing the same rotations and thus the spedo gear will not be afected only thing a final drive upgrade will give u is higer top speed but the diff will still spin like it did and each rotation of the diff gives u a rotation of the cv shaft and ur spedo will still read proper no matter what kinda final drive u get ....... only thing to afect ur spedo acurecy is tire size

if u are useing ur original ring gear of the diff the final drive will not chnage even if u change ur final drive with a final drive kit that comes with an output shaft and a new ring gear for the diff ur cv shaft are still doing the same rotations and thus the spedo gear will not be afected only thing a final drive upgrade will give u is higer top speed but the diff will still spin like it did and each rotation of the diff gives u a rotation of the cv shaft and ur spedo will still read proper no matter what kinda final drive u get ....... only thing to afect ur spedo acurecy is tire size

Speak English?
DoYouSpeakEnglish.gif

Back