• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

AC compressor pulley problem.

98csvt69

CEG'er
I finally broke down and got my AC fixed on my 98 csvt, and we did...well sort of...the stupid AC compressor pulley will only kick in if i nudge it with a stick. Its like the magnets in the pulley are shot or something... the car probebly hasnt had AC for 3 years now. Rust maby? I dont know... i thought maby someone here has had this problem and thier was a easy fix other then ripping the compressor off and putting a on a new pulley.:shrug:

measure the air gap between the clutch face and the pulley. it is out of spec, I bet.

Then, remove the clutch face plate (with the tiny [8mm??) bolt in the center then pry the three pegged clutch plate off of the pulley. (I have used a screwdriver on opposite sides with good results. using one, it normally just "binds" as you try.. so I would use SOMETHING on either side at the same time.

remove the plate and look inside the plate for a washer. take that washer and either replace it with one that is thinner OR file that one down some. That washer is like a spacer, it prevents the clutch material from riding against the pulley at ALL times, but still keeps the clutch close enough that when the magnet on the compressor kicks in it can pull the clutch in.

You've lost enough material off of the clutch that even when it tries to pull in, there is still a gap.

measure the air gap between the clutch face and the pulley. it is out of spec, I bet.

Then, remove the clutch face plate (with the tiny [8mm??) bolt in the center then pry the three pegged clutch plate off of the pulley. (I have used a screwdriver on opposite sides with good results. using one, it normally just "binds" as you try.. so I would use SOMETHING on either side at the same time.

remove the plate and look inside the plate for a washer. take that washer and either replace it with one that is thinner OR file that one down some. That washer is like a spacer, it prevents the clutch material from riding against the pulley at ALL times, but still keeps the clutch close enough that when the magnet on the compressor kicks in it can pull the clutch in.

You've lost enough material off of the clutch that even when it tries to pull in, there is still a gap.

Ok...ill try that today maby take some pictures.

ok i pulled the clutch plate off and just removed the washer and thiers no squeeling or anything and my ac works. thanks.

ps. i didnt take any pics lol it was too easy

with NO washer, I would be worried about it dragging, (not actually ENGAGED, but just touching barely..) and wearing the clutch material through to the metal plate quite quickly..

I tried to get mine to work recently also. Did the gapping, no engagement. Took the washer out engaged 100% all the time to see if it worked at all, still nothing. Got pissed so I started hitting the compressor with a hammer. Still nothing. Frion pressure is spot on (had it checked at auto shop).
Time for a new one?:laugh: I would suppose so......

Its not dragging at all becuase i have hardly any clutch material.(im guessing) But i did notice the car really surges when i turn on not only the AC but when i turn the blower switch to anything other then off too. Im headed out to So.Cal in a week from MN so i will probebly just get a new clutch when i get out there. Hope i make it!

my car runs like crap if i have my AC on or have the blower switch on anything other then off. its gotta be the compressor. Like when i turn the switch on and off my car will lose power and then come back and so on.

Does it act up if the control is on panel or floor (no A/C), blower any speed? If so, not compressor (only runs in A/C,MAX A/C ,Defrost modes)

Back