• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zero power

Quicksight

CEG'er
Hey guys I'm trying to diagnos my 1998 CSVT. It had a bad purge solenoid that I just replaced. However once the engine gets a little warm it loses all power and won't rev past 4k RPMs. If I put the pedal to the floor and it will barely go any faster. It's acting as if it getting not enough fuel in the higher RPMs; however I checked the fuel pressure, it squirts out when I push the pin down (in the thing that looks like the thing you fill up your tires with) I know these cars will malfunction when the IMRC fail but I took of the beauty cover and rev up the engine with my hand and about 3000 the IMEC moves the little bar to open up the secondaries. So I dont think that's it. Any help gentleman would be great. Remember when the car heats up just a little bit it loses all power. But at first when it's cold it feels a little bit betterbut still won't rev past 5000 RPMs

Try running it with the gas cap open (ignore any P0455 DTC for now) and see if your power comes back. If so, the tank isn't venting properly when the engine is drawing fuel out and is causing it starve for fuel.

P1451 is an electrical fault for the vent solenoid.

Try running it with the gas cap open (ignore any P0455 DTC for now) and see if your power comes back. If so, the tank isn't venting properly when the engine is drawing fuel out and is causing it starve for fuel.

P1451 is an electrical fault for the vent solenoid.

Ok great info I'll try that

My car blew off the EGR pressure sensor lines and I think my mechanic mis-diagnosed it thinking it was a faulty purge solenoid...

Lol cAtalytic converter? Also every time I rev the motor up hard itll blow off one of the EGR pressure sensor tubing lol. Man guys that totally would make logical sense. Now would restricted exhaust make the engine have less power the warmer it gets? Also would that give a P1451 code?

So I got home and had my wife rev up my car as I felt the exhaust and I felt almost nothing come out of the pipes. Crazy cause I'm wondering how the exhaust could get that clogged up...the car has 150,000 miles

So I got home and had my wife rev up my car as I felt the exhaust and I felt almost nothing come out of the pipes. Crazy cause I'm wondering how the exhaust could get that clogged up...the car has 150,000 miles

My dads 2000 Taurus with the duratec had this EXACT same issue. His car has 40K miles on it. Cats were plugged up.

Sounds like you've found ur issue, which is a clogged cat. When my car was blowing off the DPFE -> EGR hoses, it turned out to be my cat. Weirdly enough, i had no codes

Mine did the same thing with the same symptoms. No power...pedal made it bog...hoses blowing off. With the added bonus of a glowing red front cat lol...

Turned out my BAT Y-pipe/cat was clogged. I broke it up and hollowed out the cat in the Y. Problem solved.

We'll took off the converter and the car was normal. We'll let me rephrase that the car REALLY opened up. Since my 3L build this car is so much faster without the converter on their. I guess all along the catalytic converter was slowly getting clogged. Now it's like I put a 3.5L in it lol. Very fun driving it again. Thanks guys...now what to do with the exhaust....?

Back