• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P1451 Help

SaTiVa550

CEG'er
My tour is giving me a 1451 code. I have spent all day trying to narrow it down. What I want to know is how do I tell whether it is the Evap canister purge valve or the vent? Also Is there any specific ways to test them to see which is doing what? I have spent all day searching in the archives and forum, as well as going out to physically locate them. A link, a pic, Any help would be great.

2000 Cse sport, 2.5 130k/mi

Thanks!!:laugh:

Conditions:
Canister Vent (CV) solenoid circuit failure.

Possible Causes:
VPWR circuit open
CV circuit open
CV circuit shorted to PWR or PWR GND
CV solenoid damaged
PCM damaged

Ok, so the cv valve and cv vent is one and the same? So then, I test the wires and chexk my haynes mani. for the proper readings. Or am I way off?...yes I'm a noob.....

the valve is mounted to the firewall just above the alternator on my v6. It connects to the large vapor line from the rear of the car and to the black plastic tube connected to my Egr valve.

Is the valve and the vent the same thing? Thanks for pointing me to where it's at. I thought that was it but the pic in my book, and what it actually looks like is term different things. I also found a metal tube connected to the bottom port of the egr valve split. Which is interesting cuz everything that i read says that this tube should be a rubber house. Could this cause the EVR issue? At any rate I'll be replacing it tomorrow and see if that don't help.

The EGR and the vapor canister system are two seperate things. The vent (also callled a canister purge valve) puts raw fuel vapors collected in the charcoal canister bolted under the trunk and introduces it into the engine to be burned. This prevents them from escaping and poluting the air. The EGR Valve takes hot exhaust gasses and meters a small ammount of them back into the intake to reduce peak combustion temperatures where the most nitrogen oxide pollutants are produced. The systems a completely seperate. If the tube on the EGR is split it should be fixed because it is directly connected to the rear manifold and would be a large exhaust leak.

Perfect! Thanks for the clarification, sorry for the noob questions, I can assure you I only ask when I need to, or Im not sure of my self.

Again, thanks for your time! I know it can get annoying

Sigh...

In the evaporative emissions system, there are TWO valves: The CANister Purge Valve located on the firewall (look for the green service cap) and the CANister Vent Valve is attached to the charcoal canister under the rear of the vehicle.

The EGR valve and its control valve, the EVR valve, are separate and must not be confused with the evap components.

THANK YOUS!

I just got done driving my tour around a long block, with no recurring check engine light!

After you guys help me to figure out where everything was at, I began the process of checking each thing, systematicaly of course! What I found was the plug that connects to the vent valve had a pin out. I fixed that, and checked the wires as far as I could trace them for any additional issues. Put everything back neat and clean.

I had two other codes which I was able to research, and take care of as well...the MAF was due to be cleaned and I found the connection to the IAT sensor had come loose. The codes that were thrown were; p0102, p0113, p1451

Again Thank you for the help!

Back