• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can my Contour tell when it's payday?

tomewolfe

New CEG'er
Hi CEG'ers,
I've got an 'almost new' 2000 Contour SE V6 with only 54K miles on it! Owned by an older relative of a co-worker who gave up the car due to alzheimers, so he said. I've had it a couple , 3 weeks or so and every other friday it has started sputtering when I leave work. Both times this occurred with 1/4 or less of a tankful of gas. Two weeks ago the codes suggested the front O2 sensor or a fuel issue. I replaced the O2 sensor and the fuel filter, put in some Lucas gas treatment and filled the tank up, the check engine light was gone and my car ran fine for two weeks, until today.
On the way home today, when the gas got below 1/4 tank, it started sputtering and losing power. So far no check engine light but it did finally stall out in the driveway.
My question is: would a fuel pump that is 'going' work okay with a full tank but get worse as the fuel level goes down? I've heard that fuel pumps run hotter and wear out quicker when the fuel level is low. I've never had to replace a fuel pump. I'll drive her to the gas station tomorrow and fill'er up but this thing with my car needing money every payday is making me nervous. The AutoZone website suggests checking the fuel pressure with a gauge before changing a fuel pump, which makes sense. Maybe they'll be able to read some more codes for me if there are any...but I'm hoping not. Another issue might be contaminated fuel getting worse as the fuel level gets lower.
Pardon my rambling, I'm probably older than a lot of you and I tend to do that. So far I really like this car but the poor thing has suffered some neglect in it's life and needs some attention. I never SAW such a curled-up dashboard before! I'm cutting 3/4" plywood wedges and plan to contact cement it back down...we'll see! I reckon it's too late to get one of those "DASHBOARD REPAIR KITS " Ford had once upon a time. The struts and ball joints need replaced, and I'll do that if it keeps running. One CV boot needs replaced. The remanufactured calipers in front are supposed to be less than a year old, dealer installed, but they sure are rusty. Sometimes, as I delve further into this car, I wonder if the previous owner lived through Katrina. It's had ants ever since I bought it. It's great to have a website like this for me to get ideas and advice from those of you who enjoy these cars.
I'll post some pics once I have them, been too busy try to get her operational and safe, this is a DRIVER TRAINING VEHICLE for my youngest so I'm woking on getting it reliable first and if that happens we'll fix up the outside.
Happy Motoring, Tom

sounds like your in need of a fuel pump my friend. I had similar issues with a 99 i had and the pump solved my issues.

thanks, that's my guess too, so far

thanks, that's my guess too, so far

I've never experienced a bad fuel pump before but it's looking like that is more likely. I was wondering if others had noticed a miss or sputter appearing when the fuel got low. I'll drive it today and see if I can get the 'check engine' light to come on. Apparently the fuel pump is a pretty common issue with these cars.

Im actually kinda going thru the same thing with my current svt as well now that I got to thinking . I have to really be careful below 1/4 tank or mine will cut out.

Im actually kinda going thru the same thing with my current svt as well now that I got to thinking . I have to really be careful below 1/4 tank or mine will cut out.

must be nice, mine is just above half tank when it begins, and Ive changed the fuel pup, filter, fuel rail sensor, etc etc etc

nothing has fixed it or even helped it

Its the fuel pump, happened to my buddy too.

Cheap and easy fix if you do it yourself.... do some research. Get a Focus SVT Pump or a Walbro (they are cheap enough)

- amyn

Fuel pump. It's only going to get worse. Mine would try to die at 3/4 of a tank by the time I changed it.

thanks folks

thanks folks

looks like it's the fuel pump. I'll try to get another week or two out of this one and will search for info on replacements. I'll learn what I can about the Walbro pump. Your info saves me from waiting for the check engine light coming on and shot-gunning parts at it.

Its the fuel pump, happened to my buddy too.

Cheap and easy fix if you do it yourself.... do some research. Get a Focus SVT Pump or a Walbro (they are cheap enough)

- amyn
there is no difference between the regular Zetec Focus fuel pump and the SVT Focus fuel pump. they are the exact same.

honestly, if your having problems with the fuel pump (which it sounds like you are and everyone else agrees) then get the redesigned fuel pump. call up either teamford or tousley ford and tell them your from CEG.

there is no difference between the regular Zetec Focus fuel pump and the SVT Focus fuel pump. they are the exact same.

honestly, if your having problems with the fuel pump (which it sounds like you are and everyone else agrees) then get the redesigned fuel pump. call up either teamford or tousley ford and tell them your from CEG.
that part is quite a bit more money though. I was looking into it myself.

that part is quite a bit more money though. I was looking into it myself.
it is more money but it will solve the fueling problem.

If you want an upgraded pump that fits the returnless sending units, talk to Steve at Tousley about the Ford GT (yes the supercar) fuel pumps. they are rated at 265LPH and he sells them for about $75 i believe.

that sounds like a good idea

that sounds like a good idea

I like that idea...it's as close as I'll ever get to a GT, probably though I've gotta brag that I DID drive a Pantera around the block once! The guy bought my TR-4 back in the seventies.
Anyhow, I'll call the guy in Vegas since they seem to be helpful to the CEG. My local dealership scared me away a long time ago.
Is it necessary to use the special tool to install a new fuel pump w/gasket? I've just picked up a 3 volume copy of the 2000 Contour/Mystique factory service manuals on eBay for about $25. I thought it was a great deal but now I see that someone has a DVD there for all Ford manuals from 1997-2003 for $57.

call Steve at Tousley Ford as he is the one that said he sold them for about $75. as for the fuel pump lock, i have always just used a screwdriver and a hammer.

I wish mine could tell when its payday, at least then I would have the cash when breaks so I can buy the parts.

Back