• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

4Cyl Cougar Header

Do you have any kind of support going from the block to the flange? When I had mine on my engine stand, I was thinking of running a bracket from the block to where the header bolts together. Using a turnbuckle in the middle for proper tension.

Hopefully you can understand my ghetto attempt at drawing up what I mean in MS Paint. Me=no artistic skills at all. ;)

BP

Attachments

• support.JPG
    support.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 0
my third cougar header just cracked but isnt leaking yet. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

cylinder 3 primary tube, where it welds to the plate connecting to the head.

Have you checked your motor mounts? If the motor is rocking too much due to bad mounts it could quite possibly lead to unwanted stress on the header.

Just a guess though.

Do you have any kind of support going from the block to the flange? When I had mine on my engine stand, I was thinking of running a bracket from the block to where the header bolts together. Using a turnbuckle in the middle for proper tension.

Hopefully you can understand my ghetto attempt at drawing up what I mean in MS Paint. Me=no artistic skills at all. ;)

BP

I like the idea for that support. The stock cougar zetec IIRC (I'll have to go glance at mine) has a support that attaches to the cat. It's either the coug or the focus, I'll have to check. But anyway I know it used to help support turbos so it prob could be used to support a header.

Hey Guys this what what Iceberg posted on NECO:
well It came today; and is defiantly the weapon R unit; comes with bolts and gaskets for the flange and looks great. I'll let you guys know how the install goes when i get it in. I am gonna take it to have a bung welded in for my wideband hopefully tomorrow.

Its a weapon R I must have one.

Have you checked your motor mounts? If the motor is rocking too much due to bad mounts it could quite possibly lead to unwanted stress on the header.

Just a guess though.

1st time was motor mounts
2nd, probly the same
3rd. cleaning hot engine with water.

front mount is bad but only engine movement happens in reverse

thanks for letting the guys here know when I got it con-man.

It's installed now and fitment is awesome; everything lined up perfectly; Looks amazing, but defiantly needs a resonator welded in asap; its very raspy and loud without the cat (as expected).

One little thing I did was relocate the mounting point of the plug for the first o2 sensor to the bottom of the fans on the rad rather then on top

No Thank You Ice for takin one for the team. You stepped up and purchased this and you let us know that this product is worth buying Thanks again.

thanks for letting the guys here know when I got it con-man.

It's installed now and fitment is awesome; everything lined up perfectly; Looks amazing, but defiantly needs a resonator welded in asap; its very raspy and loud without the cat (as expected).

One little thing I did was relocate the mounting point of the plug for the first o2 sensor to the bottom of the fans on the rad rather then on top

Any difference in power?

the power difference is mostly in the high end; it is their but its not like night and day. dont be fooled by dynos that claim a header can add 10-15hp at the wheels on a little 4 cyl motor.

the power difference is mostly in the high end; it is their but its not like night and day. dont be fooled by dynos that claim a header can add 10-15hp at the wheels on a little 4 cyl motor.

Definitely a true story. It's more like 3 to 5 hp at best.

I cant specifically remember; I think it took about a week. shipping was quite good. If its slow I usually remember waiting for it and checking the mail religiously

I cant specifically remember; I think it took about a week. shipping was quite good. If its slow I usually remember waiting for it and checking the mail religiously

Yea, I ordered it over a week ago and have yet to get shipping info. Payment went through too :shrug:

I contacted the seller Friday night so I figure I'll hear back on Monday.

Came today... SHINY :laugh:

I was also happy to see that it shipped directly from Weapon-R.

Prob won't be going on for a little while, I want to get the rest of the system ready first.

Those of you that use this header. What do you use for a gasket between the header and down pipe? I used a slightly modified-to-fit 2-bolt flange gasket and I'm still having a pretty bad leak.

Try and find Walker exhaust gaskets or something similar. Walker gaskets are maybe 1/8" thick, but they're metal and very soft, so they seal to the respective surfaces very well. May have to do a bunch of searching to find the right size you want.

Try and find Walker exhaust gaskets or something similar. Walker gaskets are maybe 1/8" thick, but they're metal and very soft, so they seal to the respective surfaces very well. May have to do a bunch of searching to find the right size you want.

Hmm, I just got a reply on NECO and apparently I was supposed to have a rubber "donut" on the old pipe. I'm gonna have to take a look in the morning and see if its still stuck to the pipe.

Yea it is. I'm on the phone with Weapon-R now, and he's sending me the gasket I need for $15. This eliminates all the guess work. Now I just have to live with the annoyance of the leak for 3 days.

Back