• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

4Cyl Cougar Header

My first priority is the leak that is still there and I'm starting to get pissed. Something must be coming loose because after I go over everything and tighten everything it seems to go away for a short while. I'm almost 100% certain its coming from the manifold to collector, and I think its because one side won't pull together correctly. I'm going to try having someone lift up on the pipe and see if I can tighten it down better.

My first priority is the leak that is still there and I'm starting to get pissed. Something must be coming loose because after I go over everything and tighten everything it seems to go away for a short while. I'm almost 100% certain its coming from the manifold to collector, and I think its because one side won't pull together correctly. I'm going to try having someone lift up on the pipe and see if I can tighten it down better.
make sure you disconnect the header from the rest of the exhaust first.

I ran my car open headers for a while when my neighbors thought they didnt need to listen to me when I asked them NOT to blast their music right across from the window where my children were sleeping at 1am.

After they woke up a few mornings at 6am, we came to an agreement.

Last edited:
I ran my car open headers for a while when my neighbors thought they didnt need to listen to me when I asked them NOT to blast their music right across from the window where my children were sleeping at 1am.

After they woke up a few mornings at 6am, we came to an agreement.

Lol, nice one. I probably just would have cut their power or something but whatever works for ya:laugh:

Ugh, the leak is still there but not nearly as bad. I'm really thinking its coming from around the header to head connection but everything is tightened to spec and then some.

just use some copper gasket sealant. I have almost never installed a header that didnt leak even with a good gasket.

Gasket sealant = problem solved.

just use some copper gasket sealant. I have almost never installed a header that didnt leak even with a good gasket.

Gasket sealant = problem solved.

Yea the guy at the parts shop told me that with headers comes leaks. Looks like I'll pick up some sealant.

Back