• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2005 taurus engine for my swap

myclodel

CEG'er
Okay, so I managed to localy find at 2005 taurus 3l, with 70,000 on it, for $300 bucks with core. Since I have a stripped out sparkplug hole and am getting ready to pull the motor to fix it....I think it may be 3l time ;)

If all goes well, and my car system sells quickly, I hope to get this motor in the next day or two. I have a 98 svt that it will be going into.

at this point, I'm planning on using the svt intake, as well w/e parts I need to swap onto it to make it work. I will not be doing headers at this point, and most likely passing on the svt cams for now. The less I have to tear into the motor the better. Though if the 3l intake and oilpan will work and fit, I will most likey just do the full swap now.

Future plans for the winter/spring, include custom grind cams, all new internals(big bore), and my t3t4 hyrbid thats in the garage. That being said, I'm going for simple right now, neeeeeed to drive it again ;)

do I NEED to swap oil pans for this motor?

Okay, so I managed to localy find at 2005 taurus 3l, with 70,000 on it, for $300 bucks with core. Since I have a stripped out sparkplug hole and am getting ready to pull the motor to fix it....I think it may be 3l time ;)

If all goes well, and my car system sells quickly, I hope to get this motor in the next day or two. I have a 98 svt that it will be going into.

at this point, I'm planning on using the svt intake, as well w/e parts I need to swap onto it to make it work. I will not be doing headers at this point, and most likely passing on the svt cams for now. The less I have to tear into the motor the better. Though if the 3l intake and oilpan will work and fit, I will most likey just do the full swap now.

Future plans for the winter/spring, include custom grind cams, all new internals(big bore), and my t3t4 hyrbid thats in the garage. That being said, I'm going for simple right now, neeeeeed to drive it again ;)

do I NEED to swap oil pans for this motor?

I his finished mine together in the past few weeks and if you want ths minimalist lost of things to do then going full 3l would be "easier". Less stuff to swap, let alone port matching the heads. Although this required you to buy a few new items that you would not have to if you did a port match. there's really two ways I look at it. go port match and save money, but required more time to do the swap. Or go full 3l and have a "easier" swap , but cost a little more to get it done.

well, cost is the only thing for this one, so if i go portmatched(which I would rather anyways) I would have to find someone local to help as I have no means to port. I know there are locals, so we shall see.

Thanks for your post, all I know at this point is that its an 05 with 70 thousand on it, 'says' it looks good and has 30 day warenty, and I got him down to 300 with what ever parts I dont use between the swap, he knows what im doing and is shredding it for scrap so he dont care what parts I use out of it. I will be back home to do more researching on this, been reading everything I can find.

Bring some tools and pop off a valve cover to check condition before any money changes hands fogerty,john knows bout thiis lol

Bring some tools and pop off a valve cover to check condition before any money changes hands fogerty,john knows bout thiis lol

yeah thats not a bad idea, I was thinking about that. Really looking forward to this, I think my engine was on its way out, and this should feel like a whole new care, can't wait ;)

I know I can't aford to do headers or anything right now sadly, but I hope to have the funds for a new clutch at least. but I may have to chance it it take it easy with I got. I will be saving over the fall/winter for the trans upgrades.

yeah, i guess I am DEF getting this motor, also, they have a couple of them for the same price in case anybody needs one. 400 for the motor, 300 with core(350 with good faith of bringing in core afterwards he said)

Called all aound here trying to beet it by price, or at least miles, cant even come close.(btw they are not a junk yard, but a police impound place trying to make room before they scrap it all)

Why not find an 05-06 Escape engine... Better path then a Taurus in my opinion and you could use the oil pan too.

Why not find an 05-06 Escape engine... Better path then a Taurus in my opinion and you could use the oil pan too.

would love to, but not finding one near the price of this one at 300.

I just hate to pull motor to fix the sparkplug hole, knowing it has like 250,000 on it...Ide like to swap now, been looking for escape motor, cheapest I can find here is 650, and I just dont have that right now, I know there are going to be costs aside from buying the motor.

But, I have been folowing everybody's builds, and yours is the •••• ;)

So, the much higher cost of the escape engine, it what makes me say taurus. but like you said I'de rather do the escape motor too.

Okay heres the deal, I'm not after hp/tq numbers, I'm not after high rpm's, I just need it running again, and figured this motors cheap. I do have plans in the future, full rebuild, bolt ons, turbo...you think I should really wait and 'try' to find a cheaper escape motor?(if I found one for 400 or 500 Ide be all over it) or go for the taurus as a 'temp' fix. I just need to make it till winter/spring.

I only know what I read on here and the other place, and ppl seem to disagree alot so hard to know what I'm reading to be the 'most true' if ya know what I mean ;)

I'm tempted to just fix the spark plug hole, and wait a bit longer for a better escape motor, but I just hate the idea of pulling the motor to fix that and put the old one back in. Though, it does seem if I take the intake off and what not, that there just may be enough room to fix that hole, but Idk. I dont have the tools to do that yet, was going to borow them or see if I can rent them and just buy the coil...

So, whats your thoughts? fix the hole, or get the taurus motor? or keep the car not running and wait another month or two till I can aford an escape motor cause I'm not finding them cheaply lol.

How bad is the spark plug hole stripped? If you are looking to just get by until spring I would try a spark plug thread repair kit. At this point what could it hurt and if it works you could easily drive it until you had the ability to get everything you want for your swap.

You would not regret waiting for an Escape engine and it's much easier to do the bolt-ons when the engine is out.

yeah, that was the original plan, repair the hole. I cant even get a quarter turn. I think I could maybe do it with the motor in the car, not to sure though. I looked at a couple different thread repair kits, one of them looked like it would fit with engine still in, maybe take off the intake(and clean)

I just figured if I HAD to pull motor, I didn't wana put it back in lol. But before the plug shot out, the escape motor is what I was looking for, to have for the winter.

you guys think i could fix it with motor still in the car? Its the center plug, by the firewall... I think maybe, but have never done it

I would RATHER just fix the plug now, save and look more for escape motor. its cheaper, gives me more to time to find the right motor(and save more)

hmmm, then I also dont have to sell the system and loose out on all that money to get a motor right now
(have read about going tdc, puttig in some shoptowels, use the greese on top of that, and then blowing air in there to help get anything out(and to put the greese on the bit too)
that sound about right?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d....oap?ck=Search_N2377_-1_-1&pt=N2377&ppt=C1986

I have experience with this repair kit. I think this is the one that fits but I could check mine to make sure later this evening. Unfortunately I have one in my Escape 3L right now. You would be able to use this with the engine in the car but I would recommend removing the intake and anything else that would get in the way, I would remove the plastic under the wipers too. You want to make sure you can get the bit in perfectly straight and take your time. Follow the instructions and be very careful.

What I did was put grease on the bit to catch any metal shavings and I hooked up a tube to a shop vac so I could vacuum out the spark plug hole after I was done. I also used a high temp red thread locker on the insert. I've been driving all summer with no problems and I will most likely have to drive it for another year or two before I end up pulling the engine again. I think as long as it's done right it can be a solid fix.

yeah if you could check that, that would be great. If it fits and I can do this with removing the intake and anything else in the way(seems like just enough room to me) then this will be a much quicker/cheaper/easier thing to do for me right now. I have major plans for this car, but this is just way too soon for that.

and dang, thats like 32 bucks, the kit I looked at before was like 80 bucks. Yeah, if that fits thats what I'm going to do now, and then just keep saving for escape motor. If it fits, and that works, I will be sure to take pics for everybody too. I could do this on the 1st/2nd when I get my check.

and the tool being 32 bucks, maybe I will get some 02's to fix my cel, my gas millage is like half what it should be, hope that would help it some too.

I saw many different repair kits and this one seemed to be the best for the cost, and also the easiest to install. I'll check mine when I get off work and make sure the part number matches the one I posted.

Using this kit is just a little more difficult than changing the spark plugs so considering the plug hole is already stripped it seems worth a shot. I was not happy when my 3L blew the spark plug out, I thought I was totally screwed but this has held up very well so far.

sweet, thanx alot man, I know in my heart I would rather fix the hole, save for the right moter/other parts and do it right. this is cheaper, quicker, can fix a couple other things while I'm at I'm at it. About how long did it take ya? Does not seem like it woudl take that long, seems like intake removal and everything else will take the longest ;) lol, either way, thanx alot man(made the wife happy that I may not buying an engine right this sec...)

You bet! I know how you feel, I was thinking the same thing when I was trying to figure out what to do. I think it took about an hour or so, and you are right, it's removing the intake and other parts to clear the way that takes the most time. Just be patient when you do it, it's not very complicated but you want to make sure it's done right. Getting the threaded insert seated properly can be a little tricky, you want to make sure it is flush with the spark plug hole. You'll see how it works when you get the kit.

Just another thought, you may want to consider new UIM gaskets if they are original, they should be cheap.

Just another thought, you may want to consider new UIM gaskets if they are original, they should be cheap.

yeah, was planning on the gasket and the insert for the imrc rod, keeps popping out ;) Think I can deal with the trans probs till winter, long as I take it easy. Would love to get some work done from Terry.

If you are going turbo in the future a trans from Terry makes a lot of sense, you are in the same state so maybe that helps with shipping. If the trans already has some issues then why not just get it in perfect shape, it's all coming apart so the more you can do the better in my opinion.

I think most people's 3L budgets get left in the dust when the car is all finished up, I know mine did, so if this helps you get some cash together and get a good plan for the car I don't think you will regret it when you get started. Our cars are 14+ years old now, so there's some maintenance/wear items that will need to be replaced, that stuff always seems to add up.

Yeah, getting 'everything' done will def not be cheap, the winter plans is suspension and transwork, and the 3l swap and def going to be going turbo AFTER everything else is done(including a FULL rebuild). I have the turbo already, back when I had my mustangs, I had a foxbody and twin turbo(t3/t4 hybrids) and I still have one left I was planning on using.

Also, didn't know that Terry was here in Michigan, thats makes things nice ;)

So, sat I plan on getting the gaskets and helicoil kit, maybe 02's, and plan to do the work on sunday. Will take pics, and post it all afterwords.

The Helicoil I posted above is the one I used, 5334-14.

Sorry for cluttering up this thread, I just noticed you had a troubleshooting thread on this issue.

No your good, and thanks for that part number for the helicoil, I will be getting this on saturday when I get paid. Looking forward to driving her again. I'm thinking about cleaning the intake and tb while I'm at it, maybe get some 02's if I find them cheap enough.

Back