• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Transmission Bang

ZeroHour

Mod/Salad Tosser
So my v6/ATX shifts fine when its cold, I can drive the car ~40 minutes on the highway before I get into traffic where I work.

Once into traffic (stop and go about 10 minutes) the trans wants to bang through all the gears.

I get to work. leave at the end of the day, drive through the slow traffic first, then drive all the way home, and no bang.

Is it possible that there is a sensor thats getting heat soaked and failing?

I had a friend with an interpid whos 4 speed electronically-smucking-fart trans would not shift when his 02 sensor one of the banks failed.

Can the Contour suffer the same fate? Mine's had one of the upstreams changed, and I have the "newer" replacement TSS inplace. Problems started a few thousand after the TSS was put in. The replaced o2 was in before well then.

Any Suggestions?

Make certain the TSS is seated and plugged in

Make certain the TSS is seated and plugged in

Try the simple things first. Is the new TSS fully seated and properly plugged in. If not it won't read the shaft speed properly.

Does your speedo work correctly? If not it might be the vss. The computer shifts the trans by looking at the tss and vss sensors and matching speed. If one is not working it'll bang the trans into gear.

My stique has got the same issue, I can't figure it out for the life of me, i assumed it was just overheating, was going to and a trans cooler.

hmm, speedo seems correct. How can tell if my VSS is going bad?

Also where is the VSS located? I'm going to search in a few seconds, but I just got home from work!

I would like to say, I took the new, supposedly better TSS out, and put the old one back in. It shifts into reverse better. All forward gears seem the same. Drove all the way into work, seemed to want to bang in once, and hit shifted mild hard, but nothing near the bang shifting.

On the way home, the last mile of the trip it seemed like it was banging the gears up the hill, but it only shifted 4 times.

I'm still thinking about ordering a new 02 sensor to replace the bank that has ~90k on it. (assuming its never been replaced)

VSS is pretty simple

VSS is pretty simple

The VSS either works or doesn't. So if the speedo works then you can assume it is okay.

You might check your wiring to make certain it is connected and not frayed or shorted.

Do you get a flashing OD light?

Well there's the problem...

...pulled out the code reader, and plugged it onto the car to see if there are stored codes. I have a P1744 - Torque convertor stuck in off position.

Why the hell have I not been given a CEL?

So either my valve body is broken and/or my TC is toasted.

*sigh* stupid car, it would have been easier to flash the CEL the first 200 miles of the problem...

It would atleast explain the banging gears because its probably building line pressure during my commute to get the TC to engage...

No cel is normal

No cel is normal

No cel for trans issues is normal. If the od light flashes then you know you have an issue to check. Did you try to manually turn the od on and off? There is a green switch on the shift lever that will turn the od on and off. When it is off the od light should come on. Try to see if your problem remains with the od turned off.

If the pressure is too high it can cause bang shifting. Easy to check with a pressure gage tapped into the pressure port near your TSS sensor. If the pressure is too high, i'd start looking at the valve body or solenoids.

So I'm assuming I need to dissassemly the car at this point.

What exactly is the "valve body" that needs to be replaced. How bad is it once the trans has been cracked open?

All the old posts don't seem to load, and my hanes & chiltons have nothing on the transmission.

The Ford CD tells me how to go about removing my transmission but also can't see any information on actually repairing it!

I might as well replace the TC since its more then likely dead. It did disengage this morning on the way to work (60mph test, tap brake, rpm climed ~200 rpm). But its impossible to tell what damage has been done. What is a reliable brand to replace the ford TC?

Also what rebuild kit to do I need to/should get? What parts need to be ordered for the "valve body" to be replaced/rebuilt?

didja try the od switch on the shift lever?

didja try the od switch on the shift lever?

Before you go off and tear everything apart, didja try to engage and disegage the tc with the little green button on the side of the shift lever? Did your od light come on and go off with the activation of the switch? If not, your switch might be the problem.

As for a valve body, you can replace in the car. but do the above test first, its quick, easy, informative, and FREE!!

:nonono: Seriously been around longer then you, yes i know how to use my O/D button, and no its not the freaking O/D button. I'm gonna pistol whip the next member that posts O/D button.

And I'm pretty sure the "Valve body" is inside the trans and requires a tear down. Unless it can be accessed by the front pan.

Everyone is out enjoying Spring Zing :cry:

What a dork, bite the hand that trys to help!!!!

What a dork, bite the hand that trys to help!!!!

[QUOTE I'm gonna pistol whip the next member that posts O/D button.QUOTE]

End of the help for you.

Back