• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

LUK clutch failure

svttour

Rico Suave
Just wanted to let you guys know this morning on my way to work my clutch started chattering really loud then I heard some grinding and then nothing. car revs but doesnt move... put it into any gear and it shakes the entire car and makes noise but the car remains stationary. Im hoping to have the clutch out this weekend to post pics....

When installed it looked fairly new. Im going to try and see if I have any pics of it before I installed it.

This was the same clutch and flywheel that came out of the car and went back in it. I didnt find pics of the clutch in my photobucket but I may have some on my laptop I am searching. It wasa used LUK clutch that looked very new. Flywheel was not resurfaced at time of 3L swap.

do you know the milage that was on it before the 3l swap? If the whole setup was just removed and then reinstalled that should ahve removed alot of the isntall variables, unless it was from the first time it was installed.

It was already installed on the car when I bought it. Mileage unknown but I know for a fact its been replaced because it was an LUK clutch with no ford stamps or part number on the pressure plate. The clutch has alot of life left I was say maybe had 25-30k on it if that from what I remember. I removed it when I did the 3L swap and reinstalled it on the same flywheel.

I dont have pics of the clutch. From what it sounds like it could be a spring failure. The car turns on just fine but when I put it in gear it sounds horrible. Also Its not the shift tower because I checked for play and there was none.

It sucks that this happened Sam - I'll be watching for the carnage pics after you pull it out. Our cars are not safe with any type of clutch :blackeye:.

I know, I was on the phone when it happened and I was like "no not now" I was a block away from my shop but it took me 2 hours to get it there had to wait on my friend with a trailer, then we had to manually winch it up. Not fun to say the least plus its like 90 degrees here today. I was 2 1/2 hours late to work. Luckily my boss said I can make up the hours.

Im waiting for a reply to 2 companies selling LUK clutches on ebay first one to respond gets my business. 227 shipped :) trying to play the consumer hunter game to see who will offer me free shipping first lol.

Sounds like what happened on the Pudmobile. Car would shake and wanted to go. You could shift threw the gears when it was off, but when it was running no such luck. I was able to limp it from the shop to my friends house in 2nd though. I am thinking the springs went in yours, like they did mine.

Thats what I am thinking... However in my case I can shift into any gear and it will go in smooth as normal but when I let off the clutch it grinds and shakes.

that almost doesn't sound like a clutch then. when my spec springs started to free themselves from the clutch disk I was not able to shift while the car was running.

Does the speedo move when you try this?

you thinking axle? I was driving normal. I get out of work in 15 mins... Once I get out Im going to drain the fluid and inspect for metal fragments and pull the axles to see if they are intact.

I was thinking diff, but it could be in an axle also. if the diff gears let go I believe the speedo should still work.

100% it's NOT axles nor diff. Diff would show signs, and axles, just, no. I talked with Sam and everything he explained to me was the same symptoms of my last two clutch failures. More than likely it's the hub rivet that has blown off and throwing marcel springs, or the spline from the hub has detached, but I'm 100% sure it's the first. $100 says I call it, if not, I don't know WTF I'm talking about then and my clutch blew up from aliens implanting themselves in the hub thinking it was their flying saucer.

Yes it is - you don't tell me mister.

Spec - fails at rivits and springs
LUK - fails at center spline and springs
OEM - fails at center spline
Clutchnet - fails at some other spot

What else is there? That's what I thought.... :tappingfingers:

Back