• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hello / Project Suggestions

Wetworth

CEG'er
Hey all, I just wanted to introduce myself since ill probably be asking a whole lotta questions. My name is Mike and I just moved to the Cleveland area. Incidentally, I also just recovered my first car, a '97 Contour GL 2.0 ATX. I have a MINI thats my daily driver so I'm gonna turn the old girl into a project car... of some sort. I was thinking of stripping it down for a auto-crosser/track car or maybe restoring it with some go fast bits. Money for my project shouldn't really be a problem by the fall, so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for what I can do please feel free to voice them. Anythings a possibility since my wife already thinks I'm crazy. The only thing I know for sure is that I'm gonna take it up to MA to have Aircougar convert it to a manual (and my wife will kill me if it just sits in the garage). I'll post some pics when I get a chance as it's covered with a foot of snow at the moment.

Are you completely attached to your Contour?
I can understand if it was your first car or sentimental value of similar kind.
But as beyondloaded said, it's much cheaper to sell your car and just buy a V6 manual if you are looking to mod your existing car in that fashion.
The MTX swap alone will cost you nearly equal to a new Contour.

the next question then becomes, are you planning on sticking with the Zetec or going with a duratec at the same time you swap to an MTX?

My two concerns about that are: 1) Can I get a zetec to produce around 270 - 300 HP and 2) What is the weight difference between the two engines?

Weight difference is nominal, since the Zetec is cast-iron and the Duratec is aluminum (and it has more holes in it).

The Zetec is a good base for a turbo, what with the iron block and the extra engine bay room. But I'd say it would be equally easy to hit 300 with either engine. If you're going Duratec, skip the 2.5 and use a three.

The Zetec weighs about 65lbs less than the Duratec. with the Zetec you will have to upgrade the pistons and rods in order to support 270-300HP. ideally you should also replace the stock cams with something designed a little more for a turbo but stock cams do work, although you can see they start to drop off power up top.

the only real advantage a turbo Zetec has over a Turbo Duratec is that the Zetec will still have traction in every gear while the Duratecs cant get traction until about 3rd. also, the Zetec should still be up around the 30MPG range if not better.

PS. i still have the turbo kit. PM me if your interested.

also, the Zetec should still be up around the 30MPG range if not better.

My turbo duratec got 30-31 MPG on the highway. :p I bet with a tune, you would probably be at 35 MPG in the zetec while cruising.

My stock SVT with the factory tune only gets 26 MPG on the highway though. :(

My turbo duratec got 30-31 MPG on the highway. :p I bet with a tune, you would probably be at 35 MPG in the zetec while cruising.

My stock SVT with the factory tune only gets 26 MPG on the highway though. :(
I'm sure I could have gotten 35 or more while cruising, I just always had too much fun with the turbo. :laugh::laugh:

As for the SVT, I also only get about 25-26 on the highway with the stock tune. I have hit 30 if I set the cruise at 70 and run strictly highway.

Please review the Duratec or Zetec Performance forums and read the threads that are "stuck" (sticky threads) at the top of each one. There are a ton of links and FAQs, etc in each. Also, please review the duratec/zetec maintenance forums for their respective sticky threads.

There are a lot less Stickies in the zetec section with info regarding internals and forces induction so if you have a question that you can't find the answer to with a search feel to make a thread in the zetec section.

If both engines can produce the same power, is there a good reason not to go with the lighter zetec that can put the power down? Maybe I'm just not seeing something...

If both engines can produce the same power, is there a good reason not to go with the lighter zetec that can put the power down? Maybe I'm just not seeing something...

Mainly because 270 bhp (~220 whp) is obtainable in a naturally aspirated 3.0L V6 with just bolt-on's. You'll need to add some sort of forced induction to the zetec to get you to the same power levels.

In terms of weight saved and traction in an application like auto-xing, ignoring costs, wouldn't the zetec work better?

What cams are you using in the zetec? That makes a huge difference. If your staying with the stock cams on the zetec which made peak power at 4,700 RPMs on striker's motor, then the duratec for sure. You'll be spending most of your time above 4,700 RPMs autocrossing. If you'll be going with some aftermarket cams (maybe some focus cams work? I dont know), then I'd say its a toss up.

You can use focus cams so there are plenty of options avalable that will move the power band into the upper rpm's. Also, a set of cam gears will help with that as well.

Back