• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

temp guage stuck on hot

Torquemonster

CEG'er
Hi guys, got in my car this morning and turned it on and after 30 seconds of driving I noticed the guage all the way to the right. I dont think its the water pump because the car had no time to even warm up but it was saying that its hot (way off the scale hot too).

After 5 mins of driving my heater started working fine like normal and I noticed the guage did move very slightly (but still showing very hot) but it went back to being pegged. Pulled over and shut off the car and let it sit for an hour but temp guage still pegged on hot (its -6C here so it would hve cooled down in that time)

Not sure if there is a sensor somewhere thats gone or maybe the guage itself. How can I tell ?

Thanks for the fast reply. Its a Duratec (98 svt). Its freaking me out to drive it not knowing the actual temp. I'd want to try and fix this fast if possible :)

Thank you very much. I'm going to see if I can pick up the part right now from this auto parts store close by. Thanks again :)

With the car off squeeze one of the upper radiator hoses (This is so you can judge the pressure/hardness)

Now with the car on squeeze it again. If it's harder you have flow, so it's not the water pump. It's is the sending unit like AJ said.

*Edit* Dang Tony is fast

Hi guys, I actually went and fiddled with the sensor and found the wire to be lose.Its all working now but the sensor does look really cruddy so I might replace it in teh spring anyway. Its pretty cheap.

Uuugh.

I changed the sensor last night and it ended up working but my temps were climbing quickly when driving. There was less coolant after about 30 mins of driving it around (in the overflow) so it looked like it was going somewhere. I had added enough for it to be at the minimum level on the overflow. I had lost some coolant during the sensor swap.

Anyway I took it to the shop this morning and they looked and said that my water pump had sheared off its blades or something (it was plastic). They suggested a replacement pump, a new thermostat while we're at it and a coolant flush and fresh coolant. Its all kinda pricy but I should do it I guess.

The thing that scares me is the missing coolant. Where did it go when I was driving? I mean it was down about 200ml about the half hour drive. The car didnt steam or boil over or anything like that. Shop says they did a coolant leak check and it doesnt appear to be leaking and no coolant on the dipstick or stuff like that. Can coolant evaporate if its running hot or get pushed out the overflow somehow? The temp guage showed it between the A and the L on the guage when I was doing my drive. Never did hear the fans come to think of it. Hmm.

Man its going to suck if I've got other issues. Sigh.... I've been spending lots lately on the car. Maybe its time for it to be summer only and not a DD.

Back