• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3 15's???

Correct chamber depth??? Explain.

Also, a folded horn in a car? With the tiny size of a cabin, the pressurization state that would occur for almost all freq played by a typical sub would make horn loading virtually useless. Horns don't act like horns when in a pressure state. It just acts like a ported box in a car unless you have something the size of an excursion, and even then, only the upperbass/lower midbass freq would be hornloaded.

Chamber depth (really meant to say chamber space, sorry) was trying to say for any high powered 3 15" sub package, you will need a plethora of chamber space (ie sq. footage) for it to work and sound right, hence taking out back seat and using it for chamber space.

Folded horn box W/ 2 12" drivers: accoustically speaking you will not be able to get all frequencies but there are pressure vents in the trunk of almost all vehicles for safety purposes. leaving all that pressure you'd build up neutral, think, I'm not talking about an opera house acuostics system here with ginormous audio systems, I'm talking about 2 12's with medium to low power input in a larger box meant for 2 15's with a generic accoustic wave guide horned port. The big difference here is the excursion and rarefaction cycle of out/in motion spans a far shorter distance than a high powered high stroke pressurized system. naturally the 2 12's hornloaded will be as loud as 2 averaged powered 15's in a conventional enclosure but with less power. Some dynamics will be lost when trying to reach real life experience like being at a concert but the transition from fq to fq will be smooth. I prefer this setup myself, I've used it in my tour and have also used conventional ported boxes as well and there is a big difference in sound quality.

why two 10s.... Ill say it again nothing beats a 12 with 1500 watts RMS. Space saving, hard hitting what else could you want !!!!

Exactly my point with the 2 10's!!! :nonono:
Like I said, my setup shakes and rattles the entire car and I am not even close to full volume. Why not go with the 10's? They will hit even harder than the 12's.

Do you even have subs in your car? I don't see any mention of them or pics of them in your car domain link.

lol, had to laugh at this from your page.
This page is dedicated to all those fine ass females out there. To All those big Girls, big is not beautiful. You need to get up and take yo fat lazy ass to the GYM and stop Crying about your weight or not looking like the models in the magazines. "Put down that double cheese burger. You know you've had like 3 of those already, pick up a salad instead".

Last edited:
Chamber depth (really meant to say chamber space, sorry) was trying to say for any high powered 3 15" sub package, you will need a plethora of chamber space (ie sq. footage) for it to work and sound right, hence taking out back seat and using it for chamber space.

Folded horn box W/ 2 12" drivers: accoustically speaking you will not be able to get all frequencies but there are pressure vents in the trunk of almost all vehicles for safety purposes. leaving all that pressure you'd build up neutral, think, I'm not talking about an opera house acuostics system here with ginormous audio systems, I'm talking about 2 12's with medium to low power input in a larger box meant for 2 15's with a generic accoustic wave guide horned port. The big difference here is the excursion and rarefaction cycle of out/in motion spans a far shorter distance than a high powered high stroke pressurized system. naturally the 2 12's hornloaded will be as loud as 2 averaged powered 15's in a conventional enclosure but with less power. Some dynamics will be lost when trying to reach real life experience like being at a concert but the transition from fq to fq will be smooth. I prefer this setup myself, I've used it in my tour and have also used conventional ported boxes as well and there is a big difference in sound quality.

My point is that the subs you speak of in a folded horn enclosure aren't acting like a horn in a car. The cabin is too small to allow it. What you are running is essentially a ported box with some funky tuning that might be difficult to predict with most box plotting programs.

naw i dont have any subs in the car, yet i havent been in the states in like 6 mos. so i havent even seen my car in a while. But i know what a 12 and 1500 watt amp sounds like. I just want a trunk that is still functional. i just dont want a trunk full of subs cause of the weight esp. when i get my 19s when i get back.

Exactly my point with the 2 10's!!! :nonono:
Like I said, my setup shakes and rattles the entire car and I am not even close to full volume. Why not go with the 10's? They will hit even harder than the 12's.

[/B]

They can, they have the advantage in cone area, so all else being equal, they will be slightly more linear (less excursion for same output). But they will take up more space (again, all else being equal).

My point is that the subs you speak of in a folded horn enclosure aren't acting like a horn in a car. The cabin is too small to allow it. What you are running is essentially a ported box with some funky tuning that might be difficult to predict with most box plotting programs.

I see what your getting at, I wasn't trying to imply using those 3 subs for a folded horn box, I was saying instead of 3 15's try a set of 12's in out of those choices. the folded horn setup is just my personnal favorite and with that setup I use 2 pioneer tsw 305 dvc subs going to a DD2-1300s, components are kenwood excelon with pioneer gm6300f amp, center channel is gm3300t, clarion vrx775vd head unit. Sounds pretty good and it also works good when I'm watching movies in the car, 2 months before I left I got the head unit. So now I can watch in 5.1 dts/ D/D while I'm in my car. I still have the panisonic flip down 7" monitor between my stowed sun visors and it's hooked up to the head unit video output. I'd like to get head rest screens as well but the tours head rest are very small and I don't think it'll look good having tiny screens in the ack seat that nobodies ever in.

It wouldn't matter if you used a 6", 10" or multiple 15s. In a car where the bass is in a pressure state because the wavelengths of the bass exceed the cars dimensions, horns don't work like horns. Horns rely on acoustical gain which is drastically minimized or entirely eliminated when they are placed in a pressurization state. So, outside of the car, that enclosure may be technically a horn, complete with it's acoustical gain. Once you place it in the car, it ceases to function like a horn and functions like a ported box with a tapered port.

It wouldn't matter if you used a 6", 10" or multiple 15s. In a car where the bass is in a pressure state because the wavelengths of the bass exceed the cars dimensions, horns don't work like horns. Horns rely on acoustical gain which is drastically minimized or entirely eliminated when they are placed in a pressurization state. So, outside of the car, that enclosure may be technically a horn, complete with it's acoustical gain. Once you place it in the car, it ceases to function like a horn and functions like a ported box with a tapered port.

I've used this setup and it works, sounds way better (IMHO) then a normal ported box, the fidelity and bass level is higher than a normal ported box. So, even if it truly doesn't act like a hornloaded enclosure, it still works a lot better than any conventional ported box.

Back