• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

blown diff

svt2sho

CEG'er
ok so i figured out that my diff is in real bad shape and im in real need of a new one.....i just have a few things running through my mind i was thinking of selling the car the way it is seeing that it is still driveable or if i were to fix it would i be better off buying a new tranny or is there an upgraded diff that i should look into? if i decided to fix my car im going to do headers, flywheel and clutch with the tranny fix.

just wow .... sell as is will get you little to no value if the diff needs to be replaced ... how can it be drivable anyway if it broke?

as for the trans and what upgrades to purchase please search, its all there ...

is there an upgraded diff that i should look into? if i decided to fix my car im going to do headers, flywheel and clutch with the tranny fix.

You definetely want to look into a torsen or qauife limited slip differential. You would be a fool for replacing the diff with a stock unit!!
Try contacting Terry Haines for trans rebuilding.

When my diff went, I had my trans rebuilt with LSD and all the other goodies. I also picked up a Spec stage 1 clutch, fizanza flywheel and MSDS headers. So yeah, you have the right idea.

TH isn't the only place you can get parts from, Stever @ Tousley Ford can also help. Maybe be easier being that everybody goes to TH or BJ. When my diff went, I could still drive it, thats because I blew out the spider gears. As long as you dont turn, it drives normal...

not for long....my diff was going and i took it to my brothers dealership to have them look at it (long story cheap price) it would drive fine if the wheels were straight (i drove it 8 miles there).....Pudmunkie took it up to 5k rpm the night before with no probs...left it in the hands of the best at La Fontaine Chevy and when I came back to trailer it out it wouldn't even go forward and sounded like a machine gun under the hood in 1st and 2nd...they told me it was like that when i drove it in and hung up on me....

Liberty Performance is doing mine right now...much more reasonable than TH and actually called me back ASAP...Torsen and stage 1 :)!

rawburt how do you like the stage 1??

Last edited:
hah

hah

just wow .... sell as is will get you little to no value if the diff needs to be replaced ... how can it be drivable anyway if it broke?

as for the trans and what upgrades to purchase please search, its all there ...

to everyone else except this guy thanx for the help. please dont reply to anymore of my posts unless u really know what you are talking about as for this guy u just made yourself look stupid. thanx to everyone else for helping.....after doing your tranny and msds headers did you notcie a good gain in hp/torque?

to everyone else except this guy thanx for the help. please dont reply to anymore of my posts unless u really know what you are talking about as for this guy u just made yourself look stupid. thanx to everyone else for helping.....

LOL'ers brapplown3d

after doing your tranny and msds headers did you notcie a good gain in hp/torque?

Oh hell ya!!! The flywheel made my RPM's climb so fast, I noticed a huge difference with that. With the LSD, you can power through a corner like you wouldn't believe. Same with the headers, basically these couple mods I think are the most noticable and worth it.

also where do i find information on how to contact terry haines or anyone else like him?

Shoot Terry an email and get the ball rolling. secondline@ameritech.net

Last edited:
whatever ... if the diff is blown, as your post title says, the car isn't drivable, I mean how do you drive a car with a blown diff :rolleyes: That means it isn't drivable :nonono:

now this is where my question came from, you did say the diff was blown in the title of your thread but then say it is drivable ... oh and I'm sorry but if you can't turn the car while driving that is not drivable :rolleyes:

as for the rest of your question in you first post a search would have turned up all the answers very quickly, maybe even some of the stickies which you should have read would have given you alot of the info ...

next time think about what you are typing and how you are saying it to avoid confusion ...

oh and btw I know what I am taking about more often then not when compaired to most of the people here ...

edit: its kinda funny, in this thread you posted a clear question and you got a clear answer :shrug:

Last edited:
I drove my car over 200 miles with a broken diff. They don't always shatter the spider gears, you can just break a tooth or the like.

Back