• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3 15's???

contourdude

New CEG'er
Does anyone have a picture of 3 15's installed in a contour. I need ideas on how to lay out my subs.. Please let me know. Thanks

Hey, when I was stationed in Utah I had 3 15" Rockford Fosgate Power HX2 dual 2 Ohm coils, with the 2 r/f bd1500's to power it with the kenwood excelon 917. It was not worth it in the long run though, I went through batteries, alternators and fuses like a mad man, because the car couldn't handle the power. I would say to go with 2 12's like excel was saying or at most 2 15's. but if you must have 3 15's do you care about how much trunk space you have and if you want W8's, power series or rfl's do you care about having a back seat. these are just some of the things you should be considering.

I know my head wont fit up my ass but I'm not about to try it.... Same concept applies here with 3 15s and a CONTOUR. Overkill

overkill is right, to get the required chamber depth for any good 3 15" combo, you'd need to take out the back seat and extend the box into the passenger compartment. Unless you plan on competing it's not worth the money for the box or the extra equipment required to do it right. 2 12's will sound more than good, look at the MTX thunder 9500's, Rockford's T212D2 power series sub, or the JL Audio W7 for really good 12's that will sound good and fit into the trunk. While you can get away with using less space with a sealed box, a folded horn box is my personnal favorite for sound quality, this system requires more space but will punch hard and give smooth bass in an even manner. these type of boxes with these subs are going to require around 2.5 to 3 cubic feet +/- .5 it just depends on the specific sub. I'd personnally go with the W7's, they are nice.

Here are my 4 15's in a contour ...

Attachments

• trunknbatteries.jpg
    trunknbatteries.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
  • ampsandseats.jpg
    ampsandseats.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 0
thats one clean install svtweeter......i personally think all you need is one solid 12 inch sub with a TON of power behind to be loud and still retain sound quality.....the contour isnt very large at all....my buddy had a 95 contour with 2 12s in it in a vented box and it was pretty loud but he had no trunk basicly....I am most likely going to go with a RF T2 12 and run a Power series 1500.1bd behind it with a box tuned around 34 hz

I have a friend who had just one 12" JL sub with a JL amp. I don't recall the wattage he was pushing, but his system was definitely clearer and probably louder than mine.

THREE 15's!:shocked: Screw that! I knew when I was deciding on a system for my car that I wanted just one BA sub so I could have as little weight as possible in my trunk. I origionally wanted a 12" or 13" JL W7, but decided I didn't wanna pay $800 for one sub... So I ended up going with a 15" kicker L7, (pic of my car below) 1000watt RMS 2000watts MAX! Very impressed, for at one time just being a JL fan when it came to subs.
2528810_40_full.jpg

Last edited:
THREE 15's!:shocked: Screw that! I knew when I was deciding on a system for my car that I wanted just one BA sub so I could have as little weight as possible in my trunk. I origionally wanted a 12" or 13" JL W7, but decided I didn't wanna pay $800 for one sub... So I ended up going with a 15" kicker L7, (pic of my car below) 1000watt RMS 2000watts MAX! Very impressed, for at one time just being a JL fan when it came to subs.
2528810_40_full.jpg

I'd take out the floor liner and spare tire and mold a box into that space, with a high rise grille over the sub face for protection that would look very nice and clean. I do like the less is more idea though, it's better to go fast then deaf. :laugh:

I'd take out the floor liner and spare tire and mold a box into that space, with a high rise grille over the sub face for protection that would look very nice and clean. I do like the less is more idea though, it's better to go fast then deaf. :laugh:

yeah fast is better then def. im dropping out my 2 12" mtx and going with 1 or 2 elemental design shallow mount 10"s

Correct chamber depth??? Explain.

Also, a folded horn in a car? With the tiny size of a cabin, the pressurization state that would occur for almost all freq played by a typical sub would make horn loading virtually useless. Horns don't act like horns when in a pressure state. It just acts like a ported box in a car unless you have something the size of an excursion, and even then, only the upperbass/lower midbass freq would be hornloaded.

Last edited:
Yeah. By having three fifteens my chances of breaking into 16 second 1/4 miles are ruined forever! haha.. A guy on here told me he would design me a "horn" enclosure for my diamond. What do ya think guys?

I just run 1 alpine type R 10 with a memphis 500/1 amp... It's more than enough for me and I still have a trunk :)

I've got 2 12" RF DVC (yeah old buggers) with 500 watts going to each one and I can not raise the volume to full without shaking and rattling the car to hell half way there. 3 15" subs is definitely overkill unless you are competing.
Myself, the next time I get new subs (if ever - cant kill the Rockfords!) I'll more than likely just get 2 10" shallows and give them the amps they want.

Added bonus is I will have most of my trunk back again!

Back