• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

e0, e1, someone educate me

I learned most things like that by reading stuff on this site instead of making a bunch of posts whining about how no one gives me a hand out.

I have NEVER had to ask about something that is discussed as often as this. But, if you do run across a term in a thread you don't understand, just ask in that thread. Sure it would help to have a sticky with all the abbreviations and whatnot in it, but you know, it wouldn't help much. Most people don't read that stuff, even though they claim to have spent hours doing so. Trust me, there used to be a link to much of this type of information, along with common mods and all kinds of other stuff on the main page, but there were still threads at least once a week with people claiming "I searched, will you tell me if the gas pedal makes the car go or stop"

Now before I come off as too much of a hard ass, I will point out that there are some broken links in the read first thread in the new members classroom, so that does make it a little more difficult, and I suppose it would help if someone fixed it

but lemme just examine the first post in this thread

Looks like this guy didn't even know about the read first thread. I mean •••••ing about broken links is one thing, but asking if there is any kind of FAQ..... when there is clearly a FAQ (with broken links). Fail.

Anyways, enough of this, "Finally someone said it, I've been suffering under the oppressive rule of the search Nazi" posts. Someone finally says it once or twice a week.

did that give you a boner?

I see u have Merkurs. Are u on merkursport or MCA by any chance We had an XR and a scorpio also!!!

Sorry for the delay in reply. I thought this thread would die a quick death....
Anyway, I'm on the MCA board and merkursport. Mostly though, I keep up with the MCA email list.

Looks like this guy didn't even know about the read first thread. I mean •••••ing about broken links is one thing, but asking if there is any kind of FAQ..... when there is clearly a FAQ (with broken links). Fail.

I DID start at the beginning. New member links, etc. I did my due diligence and came up with jack. There are FAQs, but they didn't have As to my Qs.

I clicked through on the link you provide for "read this". Very good information. However, if I go to the New Member Forum directly, I do not see that post as a sticky.

there is a sticky there.......

There are lots of stickies on here.....
Sh** sticks too, but it isn't good for much. That said, there IS good info in the stickies. The FAQs, where the links aren't dead also have good information. I just didn't find what I was looking for.

Also, always remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people who start threads whining because there are no handouts and they have to work to find things out.

I'm pretty sure I prefaced my post by stating that I DID SEARCH and did not find what I was looking for.

to be fair, the search feature since we upgraded to the newest version of Vbulletin really does suck. It's more difficult to use.
And there used to be more hepful stickies, but I can't seem to find them anywhere, which is frustrating.
Our main page used to have some great links that answered a lot of these newb questions, but that's been under construction too.
I recall we had a pretty extensive description of the difference between E0 and E1, but can't find it.

but for now, go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Contour
Scroll down to the 1998.5 section and that should help somewhat.
I'm pretty sure most of that article was written by a CEGer.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the response.

Another good way to tell the difference is the rear windshield. The 3rd brake light has the black surround on the windshield on E0. Then there is also the dash clock, only on E0. The temperature gauge says "NORMAL" on E0.

Here is another thread on the changes from year to year. I will post more as I find them:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showt...99-or-00&highlight=dash+airbag+covers+changes

Dash swaps/changes:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showt...new-dash&highlight=dash+airbag+covers+changes
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showt...a-post98&highlight=dash+airbag+covers+changes
Pulling the dash:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showt.....how-to&highlight=dash+airbag+covers+changes
All tan steering wheels are Pumice even if you have a SVT. They are interchangable from year to year as well.

Jesus dude, that's why I said the ding guards were the best way to tell, not the wheels. Why not just send your VIN into Ford and find out the build date? There's a sticky for that, too.

Serioulsly? I have read a lot of your posts and you have a wealth of knowledge that is valuable. Thanks for sharing that with us. I'm sure you read all the posts in this thread then too. Even:
the ding guards did not change exactly at the e0/e1 crossover. i have an e1 with the older style ding guards and mine is #5314.
So from what I'm seeing, there really may not be specific features that will distinguish the cut off from e0 to e1. Does it matter? Probably not. If EVERYTHING is available on wiki, then why even have CEG?

Don't forget about the "teardrop" chrome piece at the antenna base. I believe that was only an E0 item.

If your car has been anywhere near Aussie Ford it might have a rear dome light, but that's another story ;-)

The wheels on the E0 will be rounded rims with the center cap covering the lug nut holes while the E1 will have the sharper 5 spoke with a small black center cap overlay with the lug nut holes exposed. The E0 dash has the clock right below the vents while the E1s have a plate that says 'Contour' on it with a PATS light, but some early E1s have it. Also, the E0 dash has a vent cover on it which prevented the common warping problems for E1s since they did not have one, but, also, I'm sure few early E1s have had that, so I've heard.

Also, yes, 1998.5-2000 are the E1s, and the first half of the 1998 models are E0s.

I feel like I answered the same question that everyone else just did lol I didn't read through all the posts.

Just to make it abundantly clear, E0 and E1 ONLY APPLIES TO THE 1998 MODEL YEAR.

Some people mistakenly apply "E1" to any Contour SVT that has the Cobra style wheels.

The 99's and 00's also had "evolutionary" changes so they are NOT THE SAME AS AN E1.

To make it more clear, E1, means "Evolution 1" and is a Ford term. E0 is a CEG coined term to describe the 98's prior to E1.

Some have jokingly in the past called the 99 an "E2" and the 00 an "E3".

Also (not in response to your post), there is a clear date on the change from E0 to E1. It was the first production day in February 1998. There does seem to be a few things that were either mixed or didn't happen with that date, such as a clock and possibly the ding strips.

The Contour 1998.5 change for other than the SVT happened earlier. Probably about November 1998. The door ding strips were the most noticeable change. So saying that the 1998.5 SVT is an E1 is not entirely accurate.

The 1998 Contour was an early release. The 1997 Contour had a short run. My SVT was built (#240) in April 1997.

Thanks for the info, Jim. I'm sure they had some parts left over at the 'changeover' date and used them instead of throwing them away, can't say that I blame them. My '98 was #141, I don't know the actual build day, mabye if I call FPG back I can get that? It has all the 'e1' parts indicated in this thread though.

# 141 would have been a very early build, even earlier than mine. If the number is correct and it is a 98, it is most certainly an E0 and would have come with the older style wheels and a clock. It would also have the early SVT front brakes. I can see someone installing the later wheels, but I can't see them de-contenting the clock.

If it is a 99, it could look like an E1, but it would not be. You can get part of the build date from the VIN plate on the driver's door frame. It will give you the month and year. The 10th character in the VIN also tells you the year. W is 1998. The emissions label under the hood also gives you the year.

Serioulsly? I have read a lot of your posts and you have a wealth of knowledge that is valuable. Thanks for sharing that with us. I'm sure you read all the posts in this thread then too. Even:

There was no direct changeover on ANY of the aforementioned parts, and there never is a direct changeover on ANY car, unless you see a true generational change. Before you even begin to challenge my car knowledge, you should be warned that I can and will confidently say that I have forgotten more about cars than most people you will ever meet. I am no guru, but I certainly know my stuff. I have no need to show that on this forum, since most of the subject HAS BEEN DISCUSSED in the last ten years. Plus, it's all starting to fill up with frustrated members like me arguing with belligerent new guys like you. You are welcome on this forum. Just please, try to search a little and try to use common sense. Everyone has it, that's why it's not called "uncommon sense".

EDIT: Going back and looking at my posts, you must have read very few of them :lol:

A couple other things I forgot were the passenger air vent and the sail panels, as they are different. The exhaust is shaped different to accommodate the different gas tank.

meh, I did a FAQ from memory. Doesn't have everything, and one or two minor things aren't 100% right, but it is close enough I guess. Either way, brapple put it in the read first, so maybe it will cut down on these types of threads for a few days.

Either way, brapple put it in the read first, so maybe it will cut down on these types of threads for a few days.

one can hope but it seems no one reads it anyway with the number of second posts/threads that new members think they need when the read this first says one post only is needed ....

Back