• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

e0, e1, someone educate me

I see references to e0 and e1. What do those refer to? Any other abbreviations I should know, and is there a FAQ describing them? I have looked, but there is so much info around here.

Thanks,

Tony

I see u have Merkurs. Are u on merkursport or MCA by any chance We had an XR and a scorpio also!!!

Has been posted a lot. Before anyone else says it make sure you use the search feature on this forum.

E0 = 98
E1 = 98.5+

There were slight changes on the svts about midway through 98 (rims, brakes, ding guards I believe, Etc...) Svts after the change are E1's.

Sam ya beat me to it!

Fellas I love this site! it has helped me a lot, and i know I am still new, but this is a prime example. "Has been posted a lot. Before anyone else says it make sure you use the search feature on this forum."

I have spent hours searching a topic only to read post after post of opions that never agree or give a specific answer. I laugh my a.. off at how the egos explode and everyone diagrees until in the end nothing was ever agreed upon nor a difinitive answer given. Although there are some great Stickies and tips in the archives, dont get me wriong. Yet when someone new comes on the first thing they are told is SEARCH. And yet you feel this site is dying! There are new people such as myself that have discovered the passion for this platform and want to get a piece of it while it lasts. We may not be as educated in the CDW27 platform as you or even be a mechanic but we have a passion for these cars. I personally read between the lines and look for the members from the early years to listen to. But it is also you the founders that if you want this site to thrive you must remember there is 10 yrs of archived opinions to search thru and that can be frustrating when you spend 4 hours or more and still do not find a difinitive answer. And dont say " well if you cant do this or that you shouldnt be working on the car." Please remember that you set the example for the new members, whether they are 16 like my youngest son or 46 like myself. If you want this site the thrive and live as long as these cars will then you have to show a little patience and remember when you were new. For the most part you do and I hope I did not step on any toes! But I love this site and these cars!

Ok now you can flame me! :laugh:

and I thought it was a song

and I thought it was a song

EI, EI, O......... Old macdonald had a farm, EI, EI, OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fellas I love this site! it has helped me a lot, and i know I am still new, but this is a prime example. "Has been posted a lot. Before anyone else says it make sure you use the search feature on this forum."

I have spent hours searching a topic only to read post after post of opions that never agree or give a specific answer. I laugh my a.. off at how the egos explode and everyone diagrees until in the end nothing was ever agreed upon nor a difinitive answer given. Although there are some great Stickies and tips in the archives, dont get me wriong. Yet when someone new comes on the first thing they are told is SEARCH. And yet you feel this site is dying! There are new people such as myself that have discovered the passion for this platform and want to get a piece of it while it lasts. We may not be as educated in the CDW27 platform as you or even be a mechanic but we have a passion for these cars. I personally read between the lines and look for the members from the early years to listen to. But it is also you the founders that if you want this site to thrive you must remember there is 10 yrs of archived opinions to search thru and that can be frustrating when you spend 4 hours or more and still do not find a difinitive answer. And dont say " well if you cant do this or that you shouldnt be working on the car." Please remember that you set the example for the new members, whether they are 16 like my youngest son or 46 like myself. If you want this site the thrive and live as long as these cars will then you have to show a little patience and remember when you were new. For the most part you do and I hope I did not step on any toes! But I love this site and these cars!

Ok now you can flame me! :laugh:

THANK YOU JOEPAGE OMFG FINALLY SOMEONE SAID IT!! im most definitely a victim of searching and searching only to wander off into completely different topics that have little or nothing to do with what im searching for.... i just cant seem to ever find what im looking for. so in turn im only left with starting a thread that "has been covered a million times and i should search" bull••••.. ALSO strangely enough.. AFTER i start a thread... it shows similar threads!! although the same topics dont show under the search "feature"

I learned most things like that by reading stuff on this site instead of making a bunch of posts whining about how no one gives me a hand out.

I have NEVER had to ask about something that is discussed as often as this. But, if you do run across a term in a thread you don't understand, just ask in that thread. Sure it would help to have a sticky with all the abbreviations and whatnot in it, but you know, it wouldn't help much. Most people don't read that stuff, even though they claim to have spent hours doing so. Trust me, there used to be a link to much of this type of information, along with common mods and all kinds of other stuff on the main page, but there were still threads at least once a week with people claiming "I searched, will you tell me if the gas pedal makes the car go or stop"

Now before I come off as too much of a hard ass, I will point out that there are some broken links in the read first thread in the new members classroom, so that does make it a little more difficult, and I suppose it would help if someone fixed it

but lemme just examine the first post in this thread

I see references to e0 and e1. What do those refer to? Any other abbreviations I should know, and is there a FAQ describing them? I have looked, but there is so much info around here.

Thanks,

Tony

Looks like this guy didn't even know about the read first thread. I mean •••••ing about broken links is one thing, but asking if there is any kind of FAQ..... when there is clearly a FAQ (with broken links). Fail.

Anyways, enough of this, "Finally someone said it, I've been suffering under the oppressive rule of the search Nazi" posts. Someone finally says it once or twice a week.

Not so in depth, but here's my crack at it...

E0 is the 195 HP, "first gen" SVT Contour. It is most easily spotted by the dig strips on the doors. They are wide and flat, as compared to the later "E1" strips which are thinner and rounder. They wheels were originally the rounder, "Cosworth Jr." wheels, as compared to the later "E1"'s nearly-flatfaced "Cobra Jr." wheels.

This is certainly one thread that would most definately benefit from pics. Ding guards? Dig strips? I guess I need to take a better look at my car. You also have to remember, a LOT of people have made changes to their car; swapping wheels from other svt's because that particular owner liked them better. Unless you have owned the car from the show room floor, or know the previous owner who did and knew EXACTLY what mods were made, who knows? My previous owner (the 5th or 6th owner) said he changed the wheels on it. So did a previous owner change them too and when the last one did are they now back to original?? I don't know, but I do agree that the search is NOT very user friendly. I'm new too and am sometimes afraid to ask a 'stupid question'. Some of you have posted on a thread I started called 'What's this mean?' A sticky in the New Member Classroom is definately a MUST!!!!

there is a sticky there.......

There are lots of stickies on here.....

For the last time. The way to tell the difference between an e0 and e1 is by the instrument cluster. e0 and e1 was a mid 98 model year changeover. e0s had a cluster that read normal in the temp gauge, e1s did not say normal. An e0 uses the pre-98 temp probe for the temp gauge, and an e1 uses the later style. Any of the other changes between e0 and e1 could easily be mixed it. For instance, it is not uncommon for an e1 to have a clock in the dash, despite the fact that they were only available in the e0s and so on. Even ding guards can be mixed up. The only 100% accurate way is to note the cluster you have and the temp probe. Not that it is really that important.....

Also, always remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people who start threads whining because there are no handouts and they have to work to find things out.

to be fair, the search feature since we upgraded to the newest version of Vbulletin really does suck. It's more difficult to use.
And there used to be more hepful stickies, but I can't seem to find them anywhere, which is frustrating.
Our main page used to have some great links that answered a lot of these newb questions, but that's been under construction too.
I recall we had a pretty extensive description of the difference between E0 and E1, but can't find it.

but for now, go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Contour
Scroll down to the 1998.5 section and that should help somewhat.
I'm pretty sure most of that article was written by a CEGer.

There was good pics of the door ding guards, how about for the wheels (may be taken care of in previous pic) or the dash panel then?

I also have looked again for the sticky that is supposed to be in the new member classroom, FIND. The only one there does not give many at all.

While I'm at it, does the 1998.5 mean e1 then and an e0 is just a 1998?

There was good pics of the door ding guards, how about for the wheels (may be taken care of in previous pic) or the dash panel then?

While I'm at it, does the 1998.5 mean e1 then and an e0 is just a 1998?

The wheels on the E0 will be rounded rims with the center cap covering the lug nut holes while the E1 will have the sharper 5 spoke with a small black center cap overlay with the lug nut holes exposed. The E0 dash has the clock right below the vents while the E1s have a plate that says 'Contour' on it with a PATS light, but some early E1s have it. Also, the E0 dash has a vent cover on it which prevented the common warping problems for E1s since they did not have one, but, also, I'm sure few early E1s have had that, so I've heard.

Also, yes, 1998.5-2000 are the E1s, and the first half of the 1998 models are E0s.

I feel like I answered the same question that everyone else just did lol I didn't read through all the posts.

This is certainly one thread that would most definately benefit from pics. Ding guards? Dig strips? I guess I need to take a better look at my car. You also have to remember, a LOT of people have made changes to their car; swapping wheels from other svt's because that particular owner liked them better. Unless you have owned the car from the show room floor, or know the previous owner who did and knew EXACTLY what mods were made, who knows? My previous owner (the 5th or 6th owner) said he changed the wheels on it. So did a previous owner change them too and when the last one did are they now back to original?? I don't know, but I do agree that the search is NOT very user friendly. I'm new too and am sometimes afraid to ask a 'stupid question'. Some of you have posted on a thread I started called 'What's this mean?' A sticky in the New Member Classroom is definately a MUST!!!!
Jesus dude, that's why I said the ding guards were the best way to tell, not the wheels. Why not just send your VIN into Ford and find out the build date? There's a sticky for that, too.

Back