• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

im confused by Koni struts

AliasJerk

Addicted CEG'er
someone explain this to me. Im am acquiring a set of Koni struts that are the Yellow Adjustables, I was discussing this with a friend last week and he was telling me there were two different sets of Konis for the contour, you can get the sport and the adjustable. The Adjustable allows you to adjust ride quality and height and the Sport only allows you to adjust Ride quality. The set I am buying according to the seller are Koni yellow adjustable, but the issue is one strut is broken, so I have to replace one.

So am I totally wrong in thinking there are two different sets of Koni struts or what?

someone explain this to me. Im am acquiring a set of Koni struts that are the Yellow Adjustables, I was discussing this with a friend last week and he was telling me there were two different sets of Konis for the contour, you can get the sport and the adjustable. The Adjustable allows you to adjust ride quality and height and the Sport only allows you to adjust Ride quality. The set I am buying according to the seller are Koni yellow adjustable, but the issue is one strut is broken, so I have to replace one.

So am I totally wrong in thinking there are two different sets of Koni struts or what?

I had no idea there were 2 kids, I thought the koni sport was the kit where you also got springs.

Sounds like your friend was talking about koni yellows and then coilovers.

I have the sport kit which includes the yellow koni's and springs. They don't have to come with springs though, you can buy just the struts if you want. You can adjust for stiffness/harshness...whatever you want to call it.:shrug:

I know Koni makes a cheaper strut ("reds" iirc, not adjustable), but not for the contour. If you can adjust ride height, then I think your talking about coilovers. I know what they are but have not experience with them.

Sounds like your friend was talking about koni yellows and then coilovers.

I have the sport kit which includes the yellow koni's and springs. They don't have to come with springs though, you can buy just the struts if you want. You can adjust for stiffness/harshness...whatever you want to call it.:shrug:

I know Koni makes a cheaper strut ("reds" iirc, not adjustable), but not for the contour. If you can adjust ride height, then I think your talking about coilovers. I know what they are but have not experience with them.

he specifically mentioned the fact that the strut perch itself is adjustable... I might have to bring it up with him..

the reason I brought this up is because I have a friend who had an SVT with koni yellow struts and the Eibach pro kit, Slammed the car right to the ground... bu I know someone else also with an eibach pro suspension on stock SVT struts that doesnt sit nearly as low. My friend said its because of the koni struts being adjustable, which I said didn't make any sense because the adjustment was only for ride quality, not for height. So I dont know.

It's either KONI Red or KONI Yellow.

Red = designed to improve handling but still offer ride comfort (not adjustable)
Yellow = designed to give maximum handling performance (adjustable valving).

Neither allow height adjustment.

he specifically mentioned the fact that the strut perch itself is adjustable... I might have to bring it up with him..

Then he has coil overs on them, like with the ground controlls you have to cut the perch off to make them work, so if thats what he has then yes they would be height adjustable, but its the coil overs that would do that not the strut.

Koni does sell coilover setups but none specifically designed for the contour. the only struts Koni makes for the contour are the Koni yellows.

maybe your friend is confused and is thinking of the Ksport coilovers.

The koni yellows are the koni sports. They are one in the same. The koni reds are the same as the yellows/sports, just not adjustable. They have the same valve, and are typicaly 10-25% stiffer than stock dampening. I think that the kit with the springs is called the sport kit. Is it any less confusing now?

Koni does sell coilover setups but none specifically designed for the contour. the only struts Koni makes for the contour are the Koni yellows.

Ahh Errrr

Yes they do, I have them.

Perchless Koni yellow's with GC/coilovers, Purchased as a complete set.

Now there is a negative side to them, No d rings. If one of the struts go, I can't just get a new koni and cut the perch-off and replace it.

Ahh Errrr

Now there is a negative side to them, No d rings. If one of the struts go, I can't just get a new koni and cut the perch-off and replace it.

Yes you can, most people with koni/gc combo cut the perch off to make them work.

Ahh Errrr

you purchased them from a Koni retailer? if thats true then you should really post up details about them as quite a few people have been looking for perchless konis.

edit: from Konis website. all they sell is the yellow struts, springs, and the spring/strut kit

Yes you can, most people with koni/gc combo cut the perch off to make them work.

Dr. Ryan

Paging Dr.Ryan

Dr. Ryan I think you should cut back on the self prescribed Med's

Please re-read my thread. I know most (99%?) people cut the perch-off to use the G/C. The G/C's come with D-Rings

The custom Kit I have is Perchless and have special landings(base). You can only use Coil-overs with them. No D-rings come with this special kit.

Hence my earlier statement

Also if anyone has D-rings for sale, I'm looking :laugh:

you purchased them from a Koni retailer? if thats true then you should really post up details about them as quite a few people have been looking for perchless konis.

edit: from Konis website. all they sell is the yellow struts, springs, and the spring/strut kit

I'll dig up the receipt from where they where purchaced and yes it was from a Koni retailer

Dr. Ryan

Paging Dr.Ryan

Please re-read my thread. I know most (99%?) people cut the perch-off to use the G/C. The G/C's come with D-Rings

The custom Kit I have is Perchless and have special landings(base). You can only use Coil-overs with them. No D-rings come with this special kit.

I'll dig up the receipt from where they where purchaced and yes it was from a Koni retailer

Dr.Ryan is in O.R messing with some chick, he will be back with you when his meds wear off:laugh::laugh:

Dr. Ryan

Paging Dr.Ryan

you can buy the d-rings from ground control directly

The GC/koni kit I have on my '95 also came from Koni with the cut perches and they were painted by Koni after the perches were removed/not installed and shipped to the original owner like this with the full warranty through koni with the GC's. BUT my GC/Koni kit did come with the "D" washer.

The GC/koni kit I have on my '95 also came from Koni with the cut perches and they were painted by Koni after the perches were removed/not installed and shipped to the original owner like this with the full warranty through koni with the GC's. BUT my GC/Koni kit did come with the "D" washer.

Anyone know how to buy a set of these "factory cut"ones? I would love the Koni/GC setup, but won't splash down that much cash just to give up my warranty by cutting perches.

wow, i have never heard of koni offering that service. definitely wouldve been nice to order knowing they'd have a full warranty instead of cutting them myself.

Back