• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MTX/Clutch issue

SVTMiG

CEG'er
Wondering if anybody's ever seen similar...Clutch on stock '00 2.5 is a spec stage 3 (PO installed, don't ask) and has 25K miles +/-. I've had the car less than 2k miles, but the clutch has been good aside from being ridiculously overkill. So this morning I head out with no drama till 3-4 miles down the road cruising easy at 50 in 5th and I have no power transmission. NONE. No warning signs, slippage, strange noises, nothing. I parked it at a party store for now, gotta go fetch it later. While idling with park brake on, I picked a gear and ran the clutch pedal a few times. Where the friction point should be the rpm's flux 100-200 if that and only momentarily. Clues or starting point anyone???

Add on...
I was checking out more clutch posts and other than I'm shocked that I didn't feel slip gradually I won't be surprised if the clutch disc is just shot. So, if I end up replacing the clutch...How bad is it to drop the trans from below? I read some commentary on how, but how nasty is it? I don't have a lift, but I've dropped rear drive tranny's before with multiple jacks/stands. I'm a decent wrench, just never tore into front drivers before.

I think it's a PITA and have done quite a few. Either pull the entire motor or hang the driver side of the SF down. I'd just put a stock clutch in it. I'm sure the springs on the pressure plate let go.

I'd just put a stock clutch in it. I'm sure the springs on the pressure plate let go.
That sounds like what's up.:cry: I went back and jacked the front. In gear at idle, no movement. At about 2k there's some tire movement and speedo moves. Got your PM, giving it serious consideration.

Any thoughts on true OEM vs. Exedy/Luk many seem to be buying?

A guy I work with that worked for Exedy/Daikin said they had an SVT-C pool car since Exedy sourced the clutch. Not sure about the base V-6.

Belleville, MI off of Haggerty Rd is the big NA market warehouse.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, ordered up the exedy/luk kit last week, receiving Thursday and with luck I'll be driving again this weekend!

Back on the road

Back on the road

So I was faced with the question of tearing in and getting intimate the hard way or hire the work out. Glad now I didn't do it! Had more than one offer on the table from CEG members. Todd, if you read this, no slam or offense meant by going another route...it just worked for me logistically. I want to thank Reebs for helping me out on this one. A more than fair price for labor and about a gazillion dollars worth of knowledge and insight thrown in for free! I learned alot about my car I would have never known without a failure. Most of it I wish was a bad dream, but all is well for now.

Turned out the clutch was still good (but very worn). The jack shaft bearing decided to shred, allowing it to disengage from the trans splines. Somehow it popped out just enough to lose drive. No damage to splines, no puddle, etc. I drove it home tonight. I like it tons better than that stage 3 as expected.

Now for the warning...I bought the Exedy/Luk kit, from [FONT=&quot]gripforce-clutches on Ebay. No slam to the seller[/FONT] but the throwout/slave had a bad seal from the factory. Like I needed more obstacles:crazy:.

Enjoy the car. Now go get some new tires! Thanks also for the 6 pack... and for dinner at Hooters with your buddy and more beer. :)

Reebs

Always use OEM slaves. Been noted here for years.

Oh, NOW ya tell me...lol.:blackeye: Newby mistake. As has been discussed, the clutch comes from the same place so why would I think the slave would be different?:shrug: Oh well, I appreciate all the suggestions and support I've gotten. Hopefully in a year or so I'll be dishing out advice too and sharing all my experiences.

I did mention to you about the iffy slaves from the spec kits, etc..., but we verified that your kit and part numbers were IDENTICAL to my Luk kit from Ford. All three parts of it. Just got a bad one of the batch, but we'd rather not think about that anymore. :D The biggest problem back in the day was Spec sending the Zetec TOB/slave with the Duratec kits... now that is not good!

Back